Mighty Prayer - what is it? - Page 3 of 3

"There has come to you as your birthright - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Sep, 2005 - 6:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
1st Oct, 2003 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it? - Page 3

If I could just learn to be more fully reliant upon him without the deperation. 

I hear you wink.gif I think most of us give the most Mighty and Powerful prayers when we are really desesperate for God's help but like one of General Authorities said recently, in this case God becomes like a hospital where we go everytime we are sick and then we forget him. Just like the Book of Mormon said, most of us have to learn to be totally dependant on Heavenly Father, to know that all things come from him whether we ask him or not. Now, it doesn't mean we don't have to be self-reliant.it just means that we see and acknowledge his 'hand in all things'.

Sponsored Links:
5th Oct, 2003 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

it what Prayer Mighty

I know that I previously posted a little bit about this somewhere, but I can't remember which thread, nor when. So, since it has to do with this topic.

This is a part of a statement by Zebedee Coltrin, recorded:
Source: Minutes, Salt Lake City School of the Prophets, October 3, 1883

Presidents John Taylor and George Q. Cannon, Apostles Erastus Snow, Brigham Young, Francis M. Lyman, and Heber J. Grant, and Elders L. John Nuttall and Zebedee Coltrin present.

Brother Zebedee Coltrin said: I believe I am the only living man now in the church who was connected with the School of the Prophets when it was organized in 1833, the year before we went up in Zion's Camp.

. . .

At one of these meetings after the organization of the school, (the school being organized_ on the 23rd of January, 1833, when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence, no one whispered above his breath, a personage walked through the room from east to west, and Joseph asked if we saw him. I saw him and suppose the others did and Joseph answered that is Jesus, the Son of God, our elder brother. Afterward Joseph told us to resume our former position in prayer, which we did. Another person came through; he was surrounded as with a flame of fire. He (Brother Coltrin) experienced a sensation that it might destroy the tabernacle as it was of consuming fire of great brightness. The Prophet Joseph said this was the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. I saw Him.

When asked about the kind of clothing the Father had on, Brother Coltrin said: I did not discover his clothing for he was surrounded as with a flame of fire, which was so brilliant that I could not discover anything else but his person. I saw his hands, his legs, his feet, his eyes, nose, mouth, head and body in the shape and form of a perfect man. He sat in a chair as a man would sit in a chair, but this appearance was so grand and overwhelming that it seemed I should melt down in his presence, and the sensation was so powerful that it thrilled through my whole system and I felt it in the marrow of my bones. The Prophet Joseph said: Brethren, now you are prepared to be the apostles of Jesus Christ, for you have seen both the Father and the Son and know that they exist and that they are two separate personages.

This appearance occurred about two or three weeks after the opening of the school. After the Father had passed through, Joseph told us to again take our positions in prayer. We did so, and in a very short time he drew our attention and said to us that Brother Reynolds Cahoon was about to leave us, and told us to look at him. He (Brother Cahoon) was on his knees and his arms were extended, his hands and wrists, head, face and neck down to his shoulders were as a piece of amber, clear and transparent, his blood having apparently left his veins. Upon the attention of the brethren being thus called to Brother Cahoon, the change seemed to pass away and Joseph said that in a few minutes more, Brother Cahoon would have left us, but he came to himself again.

This is reported on the Book of Abraham Project page, at https://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/ZebC.html.

The BOAP used to be an excellent source for scholarly information. Then, for a while, I couldn't find it anywhere. I just found it again today, when looking for information about Zebedee Coltrin, so haven't had a chance to look around much yet.

I think that this might be an excellent example of what can be the result of mighty prayer.

NightHawk

Post Date: 21st Feb, 2004 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

"Kneel in prayer before the Almighty with thanksgiving unto Him for His bounteous blessings. May you then stand on your feet and go forward as sons and daughters of God to bring to pass His eternal purposes, each in your own way."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "Each a Better Person," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 100)

"Daily fervent prayers seeking forgiveness and special help and
direction are essential to our lives and the nourishment of our
testimonies. When we become hurried, repetitive, casual, or forgetful in
our prayers, we tend to lose the closeness of the Spirit, which is so
essential in the continual direction we need, to successfully manage the
challenges of our everyday lives. Family prayer every morning and night
adds additional blessings and power to our individual prayers and to our
testimonies."

Elder Donald L. Staheli "Securing Our Testimonies," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 39

1st Aug, 2005 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

Page 3 it what Prayer Mighty

Looking over this thread reminded me of some times in my life where I had to go in such deep mighty prayer that I felt physically drained, I mean really exhausted to the point that I could only just sit and ponder. It is not easy to conduct such prayer and I sometimes wonder if the other side does not use the physical to try and stop you. Other times I have found it difficult to find peace to conduct mighty prayer, especially when you do not live in a place where there is a 'mountain' or 'meadow' or 'forest' nearby.

Post Date: 11th Sep, 2005 - 1:52pm / Post ID: #

it what Prayer Mighty

"We learn to pray by praying. One can devote countless hours to examining the experiences of others, but nothing penetrates the human heart as does a personal, fervent prayer and its heaven-sent response."

-- "Teaching Our Children," Ensign, Oct. 2004, 4

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2005 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it?

"There has come to you as your birthright something beautiful and sacred and divine. Never forget that. Your Eternal Father is the great Master of the universe. He rules over all, but He also will listen to your prayers . . . and hear you as you speak with Him. He will answer your prayers. He will not leave you alone."
-- "Stay on the High Road," Ensign, May 2004, 112

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mighty Prayer - what is it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,