How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath?

How Strictly Obey Sabbath - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Dec, 2004 - 11:15am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
26th Sep, 2003 - 12:52pm / Post ID: #

Just a question for discussion. How strictly should we (or do you) obey the Sabbath? For example, if there was some place you had to go - no option not to - and discovered your fuel low warning light come on just as you left the driveway. It is Sunday. Would you stop and get gas, or would you risk running out because it is the Sabbath and you don't want to conduct business on the Sabbath?

(For the sake of the discussion, assume the distance to be traveled is far enough that you can't be sure if your gas will last if you don't stop to get more.)

I know people on both sides of this answer. I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong answer, I am just interested in what others would do and why.

Sponsored Links:
26th Sep, 2003 - 3:54pm / Post ID: #

Sabbath Obey Strictly How

For example, if there was some place you had to go - no option not to - and discovered your fuel low warning light come on just as you left the driveway.  It is Sunday.  Would you stop and get gas, or would you risk running out because it is the Sabbath and you don't want to conduct business on the Sabbath?

I consider this an emergency, therefore, I would definetly put gas on my car. To do otherwise, would be pretty stupid in my opinion....because then you will put yourself in danger or in risk. Look at the example of the Savior when he used to heal on the Sabbath Day or when his disciples used take food from the fields to eat on the Sabbath, when the pharisees tried to 'catch' Jesus on that he pretty much told them that there are situations where we have to do things that we will not normally do on a Sabbath, like visiting the sick and afflicted...for the jews at that time who they thought follow so good the commandments they rather the person die than help them on the Sabbath. They forgot the higher law. So I think there are real circumsntances that we will face that we may not keep the Sabbath but of course, are unusual circumnstances but if it's something that could be avoid or do it on another day, then is wrong to do it in my opinion.

26th Sep, 2003 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Good point about preparing in advance LDS_forever.  This is where I sometimes fall short.  This actually did happen to me once and just as I was getting ready to pull into the gas station, a member passed by beeped the horn and waved at me.  I then felt so guilty for going to the gas station on a Sunday even though I knew it was an emergency.  

I didn't feel guilty so much about going to get gas as bad about someone seeing me who knew me, but didn't know why I would be getting gas on the Sabbath.

Another example:  I was really craving a candy bar and it was Sunday.  I wouldn't go get it because it was Sunday.  My sister, a non-member offered to go too?  I declined her offer because I thought that would have been breaking the spirit of the law even if I wasn't directly breaking the letter of the law.

I know we are not to be commanded in all things, but it sure would make it easier.  ;)

27th Sep, 2003 - 4:12pm / Post ID: #

I didn't feel guilty so much about going to get gas as bad about someone seeing me who knew me, but didn't know why I would be getting gas on the Sabbath.

Good point, I think most of us are too concerned about what others may think than what Heavenly Father will think. smile.gif

Another example:  I was really craving a candy bar and it was Sunday.  I wouldn't go get it because it was Sunday.  My sister, a non-member offered to go too?  I declined her offer because I thought that would have been breaking the spirit of the law even if I wasn't directly breaking the letter of the law. 

Great point Tena, exactly, it would be almost the same. But some people rationalize it in such a way that they even will allow somebody else to break the commandments of God for their own benefit. This is very sad.

28th Sep, 2003 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

This is the "ox in the mire" question.  If your ox is in the mire, do you just let him die?  Sabbath or not, that ox is essential.

However, did you *put* the ox in the mire?  In other words, did you prepare in advance for the Sabbath, so that you have fewer chances of problems arising, or not?  Of course emergencies happen.  But we can reduce the incidence of some just by preparing.  This is one of my long-term goals.

Roz

Post Date: 19th Nov, 2004 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

"The Sabbath. . . . does not end when we leave [church]; it does not end
if someone calls on the phone or knocks at our door inviting us to come
out and play, go for a ride, to a ball game, or shopping; it does not end
because we are on vacation or someone is visiting us, whether member
or nonmember. . . . The Sabbath lasts all day! . . . [It is] a day to be
marked by sincere sacrifice of the pursuits and pleasures of the world."
H. Aldridge Gillespie, "The Blessing of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy," Ensign, Nov. 2000, 79

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Dec, 2004 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

How Strictly Obey Sabbath

I buy gas occasionally on the Sabbath, even when the ox is not in the mire. If I think about it, I will plan ahead but it is a not too infrequent experience for me. But, I don't consider purchasing fuel to be in violation of the Sabbath. The basis behind not purchasing goods on Sunday is we are forcing people to be at work. But with todays technology, you just drive up to the pump, swipe your credit card and it is all automated. Nobody is at work to take your money. I had a friend tell me it's still the same, you are making a purchase whether or not somebody is there or not.

So I asked this friend if he turns on any lights in his house on Sunday. He said he does. Well, I adv that according to his thinking, he has broken the sabbath as well because he made a purchase of electricity on the sabbath. He then came back with the fact he is only using electricity on the sabbath, he pays for it once per month on a non sabbath day. I then pointed out that is exactly the same with my purchase of fuel. I pay my credit card once per month on a non sabbath day. I made the request for fuel on the Sabbath and it was granted just as he made the request for electricity on the sabbath and it was granted, but we both pay for it later.

He told me I was an apostate and would burn at the last day. He was just kidding as we are good friends but next time someone makes a statement about sabbath activity that they feel is not in keeping with the law and you don't agree, you can use that analogy.

12th Dec, 2004 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

How Strictly Obey Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think we waste way too much time rationalizing what we can or cannot do on the Sabbath, we have guideliness we should follow and be open minded that other people may or may not agree with what we do.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,