Mormons Judging Others

Mormons Judging Others - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Jun, 2014 - 2:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Judge not - Judged
16th Apr, 2014 - 8:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Judging Others

Why is it that every time someone points out something a person is doing that needs to be changed, there is always someone that says "Let's no judge". I understand the "concept" but I think we fail to understand two things:

1. Judgment is not necessarily related to something negative.

2. The Commandment is not to judge unrighteously.

Sponsored Links:
16th Apr, 2014 - 8:48pm / Post ID: #

Others Judging Mormons

Actually if you read the JST of that particular scripture it is

international QUOTE
Matthew 7:1-2, "Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people. Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged: but judge righteous judgment."

Don't get me wrong we all judge everyday, but when we see a person who has multiple tattoos and piercings we start to judge them to be a bad person. I've gotten to know some of them and they are good people. John 7:24, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

17th Apr, 2014 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Mormons Judging Others Studies Doctrine Mormon

We all judge every day, the key is what Happy_LDS said about judging unrighteously.

17th Apr, 2014 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

Others Judging Mormons

Happy is right--the commandment is to not judge unrighteously. But that raises the question, what is unrighteous judgment. The key is to interpret the passage in context. If we read the next verse, the Savior says:

international QUOTE
"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Matt. 7:2)
From this it is clear that what the Savior is talking about is hypocrisy. In other words, what He means by unrighteous judgment is finding fault with someone else for doing the same thing that we do. That why He says, "for with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged." In other words, if I find fault with someone else for using bad language, then that is how the Lord is going to judge me--the same way that I judge others. So, if I find fault with others for using bad language, I had better not use bad language myself, or the Lord will judge me for that.

A good (Or bad) example. One time I saw someone at work drive right by a stop sign without stopping, and I judged them for doing so. But then, when I left work, what did I do? The exact same thing. I drove right by that exact, same stop sign without stopping. Now, how do you suppose the Lord is going to judge me? Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. That's what the Savior meant by judging unrighteously.

18th Apr, 2014 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Others Judging Mormons

A lot of people who find easily to judge others didn't experience a lot of hardships in life. When you experience extreme hardship you tend to become more understanding and empathetic about other people.

Love,
RosieMae

Post Date: 13th Jun, 2014 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Judging Others
A Friend

Mormons Judging Others

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the quote from the bible "judge not lest ye be judged" if that is the case what about king Benjamin when he tells the people he must tell them to repent so that "his garments may be found spotless" of their blood. Is he not judging the people. Perhaps the meaning has been perverted and we are actually commanded to "judge others so that we won't be judged" I'm looking forward to hearing what others thing about this.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Jun, 2014 - 6:27am / Post ID: #

Mormons Judging Others

If you throw in the next verse we read:
"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

Meaning that whatever judgment you use on others would also be used on you. So if you are judging others based off of some worldly way (Looks, money and so forth) then that same type of judgment put it back on ourselves and see how you would like to be judged in that manner. This is what I believe Christ was teaching.

With King Benjamin he was trying to have people look at themselves through God's eyes. Maybe he did use a little guilt to get that outcome, but that was King Benjamin's goal.

Add to this is the Joseph Smith Translation
"Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged: but judge righteous judgment"

This does change things. It's now a matter of judging things righteously. Which is what we should do.

22nd Jun, 2014 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Judging Others Mormon Doctrine Studies

We judge others all the time, the key is the Joseph Smith translation that was posted:

international QUOTE
"Judge not unrighteously, that ye be not judged: but judge righteous judgment"

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Mormons Judging Others

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,