What is the Nicolataine Band?

What Nicolataine Band - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Sep, 2003 - 10:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th Jun, 2003 - 3:14pm / Post ID: #

What is the Nicolataine Band?

Doctrine and Covenants 117:11 says:

international QUOTE
"Let my servant Newel K. Whitney be ashamed of the Nicolataine band and of all their secret abominations, and of all his littleness of soul before me, saith the Lord, and come up to the land of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and be a bishop unto my people, saith the Lord, not in name but in deed, saith the Lord"

Did you ever wonder what it is?. This is what I I found:

international QUOTE
"Many scholars believe that the Nicolaitans in New Testament times were followers of Nicolas (See Acts 6:5). He was one of the seven appointed by the Church at Jerusalem to supervise the distribution of food and goods. Nicolas was believed by some of the early Church fathers to have apostatized from the true gospel and then to have established a sect of his own the Nicolaitans (See Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 3:548).

One Bible scholar wrote the following about the beliefs of the Nicolaitans:

international QUOTE
"They seem to have held that it was lawful to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit fornication, in opposition to the decree of the Church rendered in Acts 15:20, 29. "¦ In a time of persecution, when the eating or not eating of things sacrificed to idols was more than ever a crucial test of faithfulness, they persuaded men more than ever that it was a thing indifferent. Rev. 2:13, 14. This was bad enough, but there was a yet worse evil. Mingling themselves in the orgies of idolatrous feasts, they brought the impurities of those feasts into the meetings of the Christian Church. And all this was done, it must be remembered, not simply as an indulgence of appetite, but as a part of a system, supported by a 'doctrine,' accompanied by the boast of a prophetic illumination." (Smith, Dictionary of the Bible, p. 447.)

Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote that Nicolaitans today are

international QUOTE
"Members of the Church who [are] trying to maintain their church standing while continuing to live after the manner of the world. "¦ the designation has come to be used to identify those who want their names on the records of the Church, but do not want to devote themselves to the gospel cause with full purpose of heart." (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3:446.)

As the bishop, Newel K. Whitney presided over the distribution of food and common goods in Kirtland. If Nicolas in ancient times turned from a similar sacred calling to a life of worldliness, the reference implies, then Newel K. Whitney was about to do a similar thing and was, therefore, worthy of being accused of partaking of the same spirit. His duty as bishop was to accept the consecrations of the members and give them their stewardships. If his motive in staying in Kirtland was tainted by his setting his heart on the things of the world, he was then showing a disposition similar to the Nicolaitan band of old.

What are your thoughts about it?

Sponsored Links:
8th Sep, 2003 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

Band Nicolataine the What

...members of the Church who [are] trying to maintain their church standing while continuing to live after the manner of the world.

Good information LDS - I see this a lot, I know because we hold disciplinary councils on these things. It is good to have such things as reference for examples.

> TOPIC: What is the Nicolataine Band?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,