LDS Perspective: War in Iraq - Page 4 of 10

Hello Isiah53, I hate war. I hate the fact - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Jul, 2007 - 5:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (10) »
LDS Perspective: War in Iraq Related Information to LDS Perspective: War in Iraq
12th Jul, 2005 - 6:08pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq - Page 4

I am sad to hear such anger

What anger are you referring to?

We only see and hear what the press and other propogandists want us to now

We could say the same thing for those who support the war (that they see and hear what they want).

Please remember that we are all brothers and sisters

And how that fact can affect our own personal opinions on this war?. Just because I know there are lots of LDS people fighting and believing in this war, it does not stop me from opposing to it. Pres. Hinckley mentioned this in the past. We all have a voice, we all have an opinion.

In my opinion, this war is not a matter of personal salvation as some members so seriously put it, as good LDS people we are entitled to participate in civil matters that concern our countries and societies, but let's not think that because we may think different to the rest or we may not support this war EVEN if Pres. Hinckley supports it, we are somehow "sinning". This is politics.

Sponsored Links:
12th Jul, 2005 - 10:36pm / Post ID: #

Iraq War Perspective LDS

Yes, it is politics, and no, I don't even CARE what President Hinckley thinks of the war.

I agree that it has nothing to do with our salvation.

However, I have always understood that war would be poured out during the end times, and that the warfare would prepare things, and open doors for the Gospel to be preached. The power and predominance of the Islamic and Islamist regimes have to be broken somehow, and at least a measure of religious liberty has to somehow enter that region.

From what I know of the Assyrian Christians, the US intervention in Iraq was a direct answer to their prayers. Many Iraqi Muslims had prayed for years for the US to intervene, to overthrow Hussein.

What if this is, as I believe it is, an answer to their prayers, as well as God's preparation for the region? I think it is even likely a preparation for huge changes in the US.

For all these reasons, I really think that the US involvement in Iraq is vital.

Post Date: 23rd Nov, 2006 - 5:55pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq
A Friend

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq Studies Doctrine Mormon

I am currently laying on my bed, inside a tent, in Baghdad. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and I fully support the war. There was a DVD released by the church targeting service members, and it made me feel so happy to know that this war isn't a lost cause, but an opportunity like Nighthawk stated

What if this is, as I believe it is, an answer to their prayers, as well as God's preparation for the region? I think it is even likely a preparation for huge changes in the US.

For all these reasons, I really think that the US involvement in Iraq is vital.

It's nice to know I'm helping the gospel reach other nations. It's like being on a mission just with a different uniform.

Post Date: 30th Dec, 2006 - 8:38am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 4 Iraq War Perspective LDS

Talking of Iraq is hard not to get political. I am also in the Military (Army) and attend a military ward(one of the bests I've been in). I've spent my days abroad and can rightly say that America is wonderful place to live. Perhaps some of the people here in America should travel a bit to appreciate what we have and I'm not talking about going to France or any other first world country. When you have seen oppresed people who can-not exercise freedoms that are taken for granted here the whole opinion shifts from "Iraq" to that poor family you saw. Things are messed up there, are we helping? Yes, 99.9% the time. In a small way we are liberating our brothers and sisters so that they can look forward to a better quality life without "as much fear" as they would normally have to face from that man who will be going to the spirit world way latter than deserved. Its almost not even an issue of supporting the troops, the war, our president. Yet the politics is how you play this game isn't it. To that brother in a tent, may God protect you till your home. Say Hi to a SPC Lossee is you see him, a fellow brother in Christ.

3rd Jan, 2007 - 9:34pm / Post ID: #

Iraq War Perspective LDS

I like to follow Book of Mormon examples on war: War is only necessary as long as it is in defense of life, liberty, or personal property. Iraq was and is no threat to the US. We placed the former dictator in power and after Iraq 1 we had the country in control. There was no reason to engage them other than to boost economic factors at home.

11th Jul, 2007 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

I will use an incidence from history and as it is one of the best ways with which flawed humans can understand the present.

In World War II America was not attacked by Nazi Germany, nor was it a direct threat to our National Security. Yet we were willing to declare war upon them because of their support for Imperial Japan and there infringement on the allied countries of France and their aggression against England.

Iraq had overtly declared its support for Terrorist organizations (Hamas) through financing of terrorism against Western Targets and previously attacked several of its neighbors. It had continually attacked American planes who under the Cease Fire Agreement (the first Iraq war never actually ended but was under a cease fire) set up by the U.N. had the responsibility to protect the kurds who had previously been the victims of Saddam Hussien in the past.

I believe one of the Book of Mormon's justification for going to War is to protect allies (The Nephites protecting the Lamanites who had made a pact not to use Weapons) who are being attacked.

By its financial support of terrorists against Israel and the violation of previous agreements under the Cease Fire, it could be said that this is justification for continuing the first Iraq war.

I of course know this is a political issue as much as a moral issue and there will be disagreement even among the Saints.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th Jul, 2007 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective War Iraq - Page 4

I personally feel that all war is immoral. There is no such thing as a moral war. I personally do not see anywhere in the Book of Mormon that says other wise. The Lord is very clear in my opinion of this fact when he talks to Nephi about the conditions of living in the America's in peace is based on there righteousness. He states that if The Nephites are righteous they will have peace and prosperity. However "And if it so be that they (Nephites) rebel against me, (the Lord) they (the Lamonites) shall be a scourge unto thy seed, to stir them up in the ways of rememberence." 1NE 2 19-24.
In my opinion it is very plain and clear that war only comes by way of sin of those who live upon the promised land, and no party is immune of this consequence. Thus to declare one righteous in there war is a sign of their sin, for war is meant to sit one into rememberence of there covenants and sins and bring one to repentance.

Even during the war in which the Nephites protected those who laid down there weapons was a result of sin. If I remember correctly, the Nephites were at war with the Kingmen due to the sin of pride that had developed among the Nephites. It was more of a civil war among the Nephites, in which one party brought in the Lamonites into the war. It was the Lamonites who gave up violence who wanted to enter the war that was already raging, and it was Helamen who found value in there vow that convinced them to not join the war efforts.
When I read Moroni I see a lot of sadness for what had happened to the Nephites, because of their wars or sins. I do not think Moroni would ever call a war righteous or moral. Can we have good come from war? I suppose, because God has a nack of making good out of bad things, but is that good out weigh the countless loss of life, and death? I personally do not think so. Does the Lord deliver one out of war? Sure once we repent and realize our sins, but I do not see much of that here in America. All I hear is language that call us righteous and on God's side, while calling our enemies evil. We seem to define righteousness as American foreign policy and wickedness as any policy who does not agree with ours. I do not see much repentance from our international immoral actions or years past, nor do I see much other then a Pax America being practiced by our current administration.
But that I my opinion I suppose.

With that said my brother just god back from Iraq, where he lost several of his friends and many of his unit. (it was by a miracle that he was not killed in action.) I pray for our troops and pray that God will soften our hearts so that we can repent and look at ourselves and our current policies.

12th Jul, 2007 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective War Iraq Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Hello Isiah53,
I hate war. I hate the fact that we live in a world where there is wickedness and that mankind does not put its reliance upon a loving Father in Heaven. Still I do not believe that all War is a result of sin on both sides of the conflict. (I do not know if America is guiltless in this war and I believe only our Father in Heaven can make the ultimate judgment on this.)

I would like to quote one instance from the Book of Mormon

From Alma 44:45-47

45 Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church.
  46 And they were doing that which they felt was the duty which they owed to their God; for the Lord had said unto them, and also unto their fathers, that: Inasmuch as ye are not guilty of the first offense, neither the second, ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies.
  47 And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion.

I realize that this may support your argument against the Iraqi War, but I also believe it shows that although war is immoral, defending yourself, family or the freedoms of innocents may not necessarily be so. Some very righteous warriors fought and died in the Book of Mormon.

It may controversial but I believe that certain Wars were sanctioned by God to defend Liberty and bring forth the Book of Mormon. The Revolutionary War was one of these.

From 1 Nephi 13: 17-19

And I beheld that their mother Gentiles [the British] were gathered together upon the waters, and upon the land also, to battle against them.

And I beheld that the power of God was with them, and also that the wrath of God was upon all those who were gathered together against them to battle.

And I, Nephi, beheld that the Gentiles that had gone out of captivity were delivered by the power of God out of the hands of all other nations.

I believe America has been blessed. I also agree with you that if She sins the protection that has been afforded to her may be lost.

But to simply say that America should never go to War is something that I could not believe. If America had not gone to War in World War 2 I believe all of Europe would now be under the influence of Nazism and The Jewish people would no longer exist. If we had not fought Communism both covertly and overtly the gospel could never be preached to the People of Hungary (where I served my mission) or other former Satellites of the Soviet Union. And without War the the Restored Church could never have come forth. God sometimes uses War to bring to pass his purposes(Yes it is sometimes used to bring us to repentance), and to protect those that are held bondage under the influence of wickedness.

As to The Iraqi War or the greater War against Islamic extremism I believe we need to fight against people who want to convert people by cutting their heads off. We need to fight against people whose only purpose is to take the liberties of others to worship as they please and slit their throats as they yell "Allah Ackbar".

Yes, all war is the result of sin, but if one is defending his liberties or the lives of his Family or liberties, then there is scriptural justification for fighting and even killing another in the defence of these things.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: LDS Perspective: War in Iraq

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,