LDS Perspective: War in Iraq - Page 6 of 10

QUOTE (Tortdog)So I disagree with the view - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Aug, 2007 - 12:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
LDS Perspective: War in Iraq Related Information to LDS Perspective: War in Iraq
3rd Aug, 2007 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq - Page 6

From 2004
President Hinkley

"We believe in peace," President Hinckley said. "We work for peace. We pray for peace. But we are all citizens of the nation, and we meet our responsibility as that responsibility is defined by our leadership."

That is the most recent I could find and it was on the Larry King Show and hope it has not already been quoted

Sponsored Links:
3rd Aug, 2007 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Iraq War Perspective LDS

From the same interview dbackers quoted from:

KING: What if you disagree with the leadership?

HINCKLEY: Well, we can disagree, but we still have an obligation, a responsibility.

KING: Have you spoken to men or women who have gone over to Iraq?

HINCKLEY: Oh, yes. I've spoken to some, yes.

KING: Have you ever had to deal with them? Have you lost anyone yet?

HINCKLEY: We've lost some here, yes. Not right here. But, yes. It's a tragedy. It's a terrible tragedy.

I pray every night that this thing may come to a peaceful conclusion, that we can get along together without carrying on war endlessly over there.

3rd Aug, 2007 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq Studies Doctrine Mormon

The use of the word "endlessly" denotes that the window of support for this has long gone. I wonder if this ties in with those visits from Pres. Bush to the Church Office Building (I believe we cover that in another thread?).

4th Aug, 2007 - 12:16am / Post ID: #

Page 6 Iraq War Perspective LDS

I am not sure that the word "endlessly" denotes less support for this War in particular, but President Hinkley's desire for all men to live in peace.

I do not believe any LDS member in good conscience wants a state of War to occur and continue indefinitely. We all hate war. But we can disagree about the need for countries to defend themselves or to fight for various reasons and remain in good standing before the Lord.

There are differing views within the Church as well as within the Council of the twelve on the necessity of fighting certain wars. Someone can disagree with this war and want us out and be completely moral in his or her view. Conversely, one can believe that this war is necessary to the National Security of the Country and also have a moral ground to stand on. That is why I believe President Hinkley and the first presidency have been careful in remaining neutral on this one.

Consider to statements by President Hinkley
President Hinkley

It is clear from these and other writings that there are times and circumstances when nations are justified, in fact have an obligation, to fight for family, for liberty, and against tyranny, threat, and oppression.When all is said and done, we of this Church are people of peace. We are followers of our Redeemer, the Lord Jesus Christ, who was the Prince of Peace. But even He said, "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."" (Matthew 10:34

But President Hinkley also said

I think our Father in Heaven must have wept as He has looked down upon His children through the centuries as they have squandered their divine birthright in ruthlessly destroying one another.

A members of the Church we can indeed hold varying views on peace,war, and politics and still be in good standing with the Lord.

Thank Goodness, because life is boring without different views and perspectives. There would be no need for these forums if we all agreed.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 4th Aug, 2007 - 12:17am

4th Aug, 2007 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Iraq War Perspective LDS

QUOTE (Dbackers)
I am not sure that the word "endlessly" denotes less support for this War in particular, but President Hinkley's desire for all men to live in peace.

Of course, we can all speculate on what he meant or did not mean. All I can say is that the tone is very different from the beginning when the war first started.

6th Aug, 2007 - 3:15pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq

In priesthood session, I can't remember if it was spring or fall, President Hinckley said a couple of things that transmitted an anti-war feeling. I wondered if it was just me and asked a bunch of people afterwards what they thought and all of them said they got the same feeling. Going back and reading the transcript it is not as obvious but when it was stated, it was definitely there. I think it was fall of last year.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 12th Aug, 2007 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: War in Iraq
A Friend

LDS Perspective War Iraq - Page 6

The British were in Northern Ireland for 40+ years. And how long did WWII take against a recognized foe?

I think Americans now expect fast wars, and immediate satisfaction. When we started down this path, Bush said it would be a very long war, unlike any we fought in the past.

So I disagree with the view that Pres. Hinckley is announcing a decrease in support for the war. He just hopes and prays for peace. Who doesn't?

13th Aug, 2007 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective War Iraq Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

QUOTE (Tortdog)
So I disagree with the view that Pres. Hinckley is announcing a decrease in support for the war.

Did he (Pres. Hinckley) actually announce a decrease in support for the war or is he just merely stating a personal opinion in which he is focusing on peace - I mean to say, he is the Prophet, one can only hope to hear a desire for peace from his lips unless he is the Prophet of Doom and Gloom.

+  « First of 10 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: LDS Perspective: War in Iraq

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,