Contention Vs. Discussion: What Is The Difference?

Contention Vs Discussion Difference - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Nov, 2009 - 10:05pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
1st Nov, 2007 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

When does discussion become contention in a Gospel context? How do two people discuss a controversial Gospel topic without letting their feelings cause unrighteous contention(especially when they find themselves on two opposite sides of the same issue)?

Alma 21:11

11 Therefore, when he (Aaron) saw that they would not hear his words, he departed out of their synagogue, and came over to a village which was called Ani-Anti, and there he found Muloki preaching the word unto them; and also Ammah and his brethren. And they contended with many about the word (Muloki and Ammah were missionaries for the Church.)

VS.

3 Ne. 11: 29

29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

Rather off topic, but...

This is a question that I have wondered about, even before I found the LDS deep Doctrine web site, when discussing topics with people of other faiths and members of the Church. I sincerely want to know how to manage my strong feelings about a gospel topic while maintaining a civil and constructive discussion.

Sponsored Links:
2nd Nov, 2007 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Difference The What Discussion Vs Contention

Good Thread. I guess you are asking what is the Art of Discussion in LDS terms? I do want to mention that we do actually have a number of Threads (see HERE) within the Community that Discuss this, but I compliment you as one has not been specifically done about the Gospel.

QUOTE (Dbackers)
When does discussion become contention in a Gospel context?

When we start to be personal and instead of simply disagreeing we attack the person by calling them names, using unkind words and so forth.

How do two people discuss a controversial Gospel topic without letting their feelings cause unrighteous contention...

Self control? Usually if someone is ignorant or head strong I do not even Discuss anything. If they are irate and begin to break our rules and policies here because they think that they are somehow better than it then I mark them for deletion. The reason I mention that is the Policies here are set in such a way that it should never reach that stage. There are those who try to find all kinds of ways around it and become frustrated when they find that we enforce our rules. The reason we do enforce it is to stop the contentious ones from hijacking the Community.

7th Sep, 2009 - 10:10pm / Post ID: #

Contention Vs. Discussion: What Is The Difference? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I try to ignore discussions where I see the person doesnt want to admit they're wrong and get nasty you know what am I saying? I dont think there is anything bad about admitting when we screwed up.

31st Oct, 2009 - 2:27am / Post ID: #

When you bring all the emotion while talking then its contentious. Making cheap sarcastic remarks because you can doesn't help either. There are some who must be always right and they force you to accept their view and if you don't then you're like enemy number one. I tend to hang with people that just say "OK" even though you can tell they disagree but they don't want to argue. One thing is good though about people like that at least you like know how they really feel about you because lots of stuff comes out. cry.gif

Post Date: 31st Oct, 2009 - 3:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

international QUOTE
When does discussion become contention in a Gospel context?

I believe that a discussion becomes contentious, and essentially unfruitful, when people lose focus on the main topic and let emotions control their words and actions. A good debate is one in which factual evidence outweighs opinion and, even more importantly, the views of others are viewed in a neutral light. Everyone must remember that, no matter how hard they try, you view life through the perspective of your own lens, and the shape of that lens is dictated by the experience and context from which you are accustomed. Therefore, keeping an open-mind is paramount. An unbiased opinion or view is valuable, but a biased view is absolutely worthless.

31st Oct, 2009 - 3:46am / Post ID: #

I counteract attacks with love. I think that's what Christ wants me to do. If I feel the discussion is not going to be solved easily or the person is just being difficult or emotional, I remove myself from the discussion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Nov, 2009 - 1:38am / Post ID: #

Contention Vs. Discussion What The Difference

I just think we should remember it's a discussion, and everyone on this board, I would imagine are very opinionated people, that's why we are here. So, just be respectful of everyone's opinions and present your opinion in a way that leaves the discussion opened...I have learned so many interesting tid-bits on this board.

Rather off topic, but...
Oh and SusieSu, I love you! And Rominal, you are good at making peace again. Now saying that, I promise to behave.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the SAME subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. See Constructive Posting Policy.

2nd Nov, 2009 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

Contention Vs. Discussion What The Difference Mormon Doctrine Studies

I think is possible to strongly disagree with someone without becoming nasty or personal. Granted, there are people who are overly sensitive however I think is important to continue debating even if one doesn't agree.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Contention Vs. Discussion: What Is The Difference?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,