Blacks & The Mormon Priesthood - Page 7 of 20

QUOTE I conclude it was merely a "mindset" - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Nov, 2007 - 9:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 20 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (20) »
Best of  Blacks & Mormon Priesthood Controversial Mormon Issue.
Post Date: 30th Aug, 2007 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Blacks & The Mormon Priesthood
A Friend

Blacks & The Mormon Priesthood - Page 7

I am not going to take his word for it.

Where have Church leaders ever claimed President Young (or the theory) was wrong. His word that they have does not make it so. And it wouldn't be the first time that the Church did not correct someone who went out on a limb.

Further, isn't it convenient for the Church to let this lie, with this guy's view becoming the "official" view?

The Church says it didn't know. It didn't disavow any theory. THIS guy says it did. But without any support other than his word.

This cite states that Joseph Smith also accepted the curse of Ham theory:

While Joseph Smith, Jr. was probably taught the curse of Ham doctrine much earlier, the first recorded indication of his acceptance of the doctrine is found in a parenthetical reference as early as 1831. (Manuscript History 19 June 1831).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham#...am_in_Mormonism

You take down Brother Brigham over this, and you might just be taking down Brother Joseph as well.

Other sources that state Joseph Smith believed the curse of Ham theory:

* Brigham Young (Apostle and 2nd President of the Church) (you discount his view)
* John Taylor (Apostle and 3rd President of the Church)
* George Q. Cannon (Apostle and Counselor in The First Presidency)
* Abraham O. Smoot (Apostle)
* Caleb A. Shreeve Sr. (Patriarch)
* Zebedee Coltrin (President of the Seventy)

And, from the Minutes of the August 22nd, 1895, meeting of The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

President George Q. Cannon remarked that the Prophet taught this doctrine: That the seed of Cain could not receive the Priesthood nor act in any of the offices of the Priesthood until the seed of Abel should come forward and take precedence over Cain's offering.

https://www.angelfire.com/mo2/blackmormon/q39.htm

From Brother Zebedee (who named him!?), he states that Joseph Smith told him as follows when specifically requested if they could ordain a black man:

Brother Zebedee is right, for the Spirit of the Lord saith the Negro has no right to the Priesthood.

And President Kimball, declaring the prohibition of the black man receiving the priesthood to be the will of God:

A special problem exists with respect to blacks because they may not now receive the Priesthood. Some Members of the Church would justify their own un-Christian discrimination against blacks because of that rule with respect to the Priesthood, but while this restriction has been imposed by the Lord, it is not for us to add burdens upon the shoulders of our black brethren. They who have received Christ in faith though authoritative baptism are heirs to the Celestial Kingdom along with men of other races.

https://www.angelfire.com/mo2/blackmormon/q8.htm

Reconcile Edited: tortdog on 30th Aug, 2007 - 2:31pm

Sponsored Links:
30th Aug, 2007 - 2:59pm / Post ID: #

Priesthood Mormon and Blacks

Tortdog:

This cite states that Joseph Smith also accepted the curse of Ham theory

He probably believed that, NEVERTHELESS did NOT stop him from giving the Priesthood to some Black early members of the Church. That's my issue with Young, he states the Prophet told him they are not supposed to have the Priesthood because they are "banned" from it, yet he gave Black men the Priesthood.

You take down Brother Brigham over this, and you might just be taking down Brother Joseph as well.

Other sources that state Joseph Smith believed the curse of Ham theory:

* Brigham Young (Apostle and 2nd President of the Church) (you discount his view)
* John Taylor (Apostle and 3rd President of the Church)
* George Q. Cannon (Apostle and Counselor in The First Presidency)
* Abraham O. Smoot (Apostle)
* Caleb A. Shreeve Sr. (Patriarch)
* Zebedee Coltrin (President of the Seventy)

No, my issue with Young is not that. He and Joseph Smith could believe what they felt to, wrong and all. My issue is that he used that view from banning Black people from holding the Priesthood stating it was a revelation from God expressed by Joseph Smith, when Smith clearly gave the Priesthood to several Black men in the early days.

Tortdog, all the quotes you are presenting are "The Prophet told me so...". There is NO written evidence whatsoever that Joseph Smith ever taught or said those things (Banning Blacks from the Priesthood). Brother Zebedee's memory was not all that good because he said once that he ordained Elijah Abel but Joseph Smith revoked that ordination, which is not true.

With regards to Pres. Kimball's opinion I have nothing to say. It was his thoughts, Bruce R. Mc Conkie said several times (even in General Conference) that the Black Man will never have the Priesthood in this life. How wrong he was! (and he admitted)

Basically let me summarize a couple of points:

1. The Official Church position is "We do not know".

2. Leaders have stated their OPINION on the matter.

3. There is NOT written statement by Joseph Smith declaring an official revelation from God from banning Blacks from the Priesthood. We just have a bunch of guys who said "He told me so...". Basically, no proof.

4. So far, it seems more like a "tradition" (cannot find a better word for it ) that this ban was imposed since NO CHURCH LEADER OFFICIALLY have ever put the matter for the Saints to vote just as Pres. Kimball did when he received the Revelation in 1978.

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2007 - 3:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Blacks & The Mormon Priesthood Studies Doctrine Mormon

Presidents of the Church have done more than you say. They have declared the curse of Cain (I called it curse of Ham as well) to be doctrine in the past.

QUOTE (First Presidency)
From the days of the Prophet Joseph even until now, it has been the doctrine of the Church, never questioned by any of the Church leaders, that the Negroes are not entitled to the full blessings of the Gospel.

And when Elder McConkie stated he was wrong, he did NOT disavow the curse of Cain doctrine. He said he was wrong that it would not be removed until the millenium. In that same speech, he reiterated that this curse came from God.

I do not find it credible that Joseph Smith must not have believed in the ban on the priesthood because he ordained one black man to the priesthood. (I know of only one confirmed.) Many things were done in the early Church that don't seem to always comport with teachings/doctrine. Mistakes are made.

To conclude that Joseph Smith never taught that black men should not receive the priesthood due to the curse of Cain requires:

* the First Presidency in 1947 to be wrong in stating that it has been Church doctrine since Joseph Smith, and

* all those witnesses, of whom include prophets, apostles and seventies, to be wrong.

In my view, that is akin to spitting in the wind. I just don't find it persuasive. And the funny thing is that I don't think it matters if Joseph Smith taught this as doctrine or not (or whether the Church held it as doctrine or not). Because even if it WAS doctrine, it's okay. Because it doesn't contradict anything in scripture or even how the Old Testament speaks of a God who discriminates based on race.

What do you say about my point that the Bible clearly defines a racist God (meaning a God who discriminates based on race)?

30th Aug, 2007 - 3:54pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Priesthood Mormon and Blacks

Tortdog:

Presidents of the Church have done more than you say. They have declared the curse of Cain (I called it curse of Ham as well) to be doctrine in the past.

So? They have stated that Plural Marriage is essential for Exaltation as well as other statements, your point?

And when Elder McConkie stated he was wrong, he did NOT disavow the curse of Cain doctrine. He said he was wrong that it would not be removed until the millenium. In that same speech, he reiterated that this curse came from God.

Do you believe that every word that comes out from a GA is considered doctrine?

I do not find it credible that Joseph Smith must not have believed in the ban on the priesthood because he ordained one black man to the priesthood. (I know of only one confirmed.) Many things were done in the early Church that don't seem to always comport with teachings/doctrine. Mistakes are made.

There were several Black men ordained to the Priesthood in the early days. You have Elijah Abel, Walker Lewis, William Mc Cary, Enoch Abel (son of Elijah Abel) and Elijah Abel (grandson of Elijah Abel, ordained as far as 1935).

What do you say about my point that the Bible clearly defines a racist God (meaning a God who discriminates based on race)?

It's a game of words. I do not think God was "racist" but he indeed gave certain "privileges" to certain people FIRST. This can be interpreted as "racist", sure. In this particular case, it is my OPINION and PERSONAL view that the early leaders were just caught up in the prejudice that existed at that time. That's all.

Some historical and interesting facts about this issue (check bold writing as well):

1836: Elijah Abel Ordained an Elder
In March of 1836, Elijah Abel is given the priesthood and ordained to the office of Elder. This is reportedly done by Joseph Smith himself.

1853: Elijah Abel Requests Permission to Receive Endowments
Brigham Young denies the reqeust. Abel had already been through the Kirtland Temple for washings and anointings and he was already baptized for the dead in Nauvoo.

1869: the "Neutral in the Preexistence" Explanation Denied by Brigham Young
When asked "if the spirits of Negroes were neutral in heaven," Brigham Young answers, "no, they were not, there were no neutral [spirits] in heaven at the time of the rebellion, all took sides.... All spirits are pure that came from the presence of God.
(Journal History, 25 December 1869, citing Wilford Woodruff's journal.)

1879: Abraham Smoot and Zebedee Coltrin Claim Joseph Smith Instituted the Priesthood Ban
Smoot, who owned two slaves, and Coltrin claim that Joseph Smith instituted the ban in the 1830s and dropped Abel from the priesthood. (L. John Nuttal diary, May 31, 1879, p. 170, Special Collections, BYU). Coltrin is working from an old memory and makes several factual errors. Joseph F. Smith provides the two certificates indicating Abel's status as a Seventy, which contradict Coltrin's claims, as does Abel's patriarchal blessing, which is read aloud at the meeting. Joseph F. Smith says he thinks Brother Coltrin's memory is incorrect.

One interesting note that may be relevant if accurate: Both Coltrin and Smoot claim to have asked Joseph Smith what to do with the "Negroes in the Southern States." "[The Prophet] said I could baptize them by the consent of their masters, but not to confer the priesthood upon them."
(Above sources as quoted in Neither White nor Black, Bush and Mauss, Signature Books, pg. 60.)

1880: Elijah Abel Again Denied Temple Endowment
This time he is turned down by the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Earlier in his life he participated in washing and anointing ceremonies in the Kirtland Temple and baptisms for the dead in Nauvoo.

1883: Elijah Abel Still Has the Priesthood.
He is still on record as a Seventy in the Seventies Minutes dated December 10, 1883.

1895: Joseph F. Smith Claims Abel was Ordained Under Direction of Joseph Smith
The Quorum of the Twelve discuss the black issue again. Joseph F. Smith is a strong advocate that Joseph meant for blacks to received the priesthood. In contrast, George Q. Cannon asserts that Joseph Smith instituted the ban, but says it is second-hand information he heard from John Taylor.

1900: President Lorenzo Snow Expresses Doubts On the Issue.
On August 18, 1900, President Lorenzo Snow states that he isn't sure whether the existing explanations for the ban had been personal opinions or actual revelations. This is recorded in the minutes of the Council of the Twelve.

1908: Joseph F. Smith Changes His Position Relative to Blacks
Joseph F. Smith abandons his former position on Elijah Abel's status and now claims that Joseph Smith declared Abel's ordination "null and void." (Council Minutes, 26 August, as quoted in Neither White nor Black, Signature Books, pg. 140) Historians today don't understand this reversal, as Smith had Abel's ordination certificates which supported his earlier (strongly held) position and don't support his new views.

1912: LDS First Presidency Again Denies the "Neutral in Heaven" Idea
Just as Brigham Young denied it, Joseph F. Smith and Charles Penrose deny this theory in a First Presidency letter written to M. Knudson on January 13, 1912. "There is no revelation, ancient or modern, neither is there any authoritative statement by any of the authorities of the Church... [in support of the idea] that the Negroes are those who were neutral in heaven at the time of the great conflict or war, which resulted in the casting out of Lucifer and those who were led by him."
(As quoted in Neither White Nor Black, Bush and Mauss, Signature Books, pg. 86)

1970: Salt Lake Tribune Reports that David O. Mckay Says there is No Doctrine on Blacks
"President David O. Mckay of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was quoted Wednesday as saying as early as 1954 that 'There is no doctrine in this church and there never was a doctrine in this church to the effect that the Negroes are under any kind of a divine curse.'
  . Full article located here:

https://www.blacklds.org/mormon/Mckay.html

Post Date: 1st Sep, 2007 - 3:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Priesthood Mormon and Blacks

Warily enters discussion.

During my time as an enlisted sailor in the US Navy I was constantly hammered by this supposed embarrassment to the LDS Church. Consequently I researched this topic and prayed about it a lot. My views on the topic can be very well summed up with tortdog's earlier views as well.

QUOTE (tordog)
I would equate this with common law. and that the LDS Church took this Christian doctrine unto itself, unchallenged, as opposed to revelations that reversed longstanding and wrong Christian doctrine, e.g., the trinity. For example, who is to say that President Young and the other leaders felt this doctrine to be from God when God had not addressed it and requested its reversal (as God had for other doctrines).

For whatever reason, the treatment of the black race was not revealed to be wrong.

There were many things that were addressed early on in the church. Trinity, polygamy, consecration to name just a few. These issues were all individually addressed by the Lord.

I believe that the Lords silence on the matter should be interpreted as acceptance.

QUOTE (tortdog&LDS_Forever)

QUOTE (tortdog)

It's a game of words. I do not think God was "racist" but he indeed gave certain "privileges" to certain people FIRST. This can be interpreted as "racist", sure. In this particular case, it is my OPINION and PERSONAL view that the early leaders were just caught up in the prejudice that existed at that time. That's all.

I believe LDS_Forever makes a good point here. However, it is impossible for us to know if blacks were denied the priesthood because God wanted them to wait while his choice people received it first, or if it was based on supposed racism of the early leaders. There are so many different opinions mingled with doctrine that we will probably never know the answer for sure. In my personal opinion though, I find it hard to believe that if the Lord had no desire to see these blessings being withheld from an entire race of people He would have stepped in earlier to put an end to a belief based on the personal biases of the presiding authorities.

Reconcile Edited: bobnbrittw on 1st Sep, 2007 - 3:37am

8th Nov, 2007 - 6:01pm / Post ID: #

As this is a mature subject on the reasons for limiting the Priesthood, I feel comfortable expressing my opinion.

I have to go back into history to even see why the priesthood was restricted.

As I read in Matthew concerning cultural biases that occurred, I read Jesus's words concerning the Canaanite Woman (who I assume had black skin)

Matt. 15: 26-27

26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
  27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters" table.

I never knew why Christ called a certain nation of people dogs (the Canaanites). If this is a correct translation even the Son of God was affected by the traditions of his Fathers. Are we to say that Christ was racist because he did not give the full blessings of the Gospel universally to the Canaanites? That has always confused me as much as the early church not giving the priesthood to members who had a certain skin color.

I ask, mostly because I do not know. Was it wrong for Christ not preach and extend all blessings to the Canaanites?

Is it right in any dispensation to forbid a race or nation or tribe to hold the priesthood.

As I see it, until the early parts of the Church and 1978 the priesthood was restricted to certain people universally.

I am grateful that all historical restrictions have been removed for all worthy members of the Church.

I still wonder however why the priesthood was restricted through most of the 6000 years of our Earths Temporal existence.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Nov, 2007 - 6:28pm / Post ID: #

Blacks & Mormon Priesthood - Page 7

Dbackers:

I never knew why Christ called a certain nation of people dogs (the Canaanites). If this is a correct translation even the Son of God was affected by the traditions of his Fathers.

Elder Talmage in "Jesus The Christ" translates the word "dog" as "little dog", or basically a pet and did not have a bad connotation even though it sounds like. He was just illustrating the point.

Are we to say that Christ was racist because he did not give the full blessings of the Gospel universally to the Canaanites?

We are fully aware that Christ came for the Jewish people NOT for the Gentiles. The Gentiles were meant to receive the Gospel after his death. The fact remained that he did heal this child's woman regardless of her background.

The issue I have with the Blacks and the Priesthood is that we have a Revelation that extends the Priesthood to all worthy male (1978), where is the Revelation that God took it away from them in the first place since they were Blacks holding the Priesthood in the time of Joseph Smith! Since I see NO evidence about it, I conclude it was merely a "mindset" of that time and the early leaders were NOT the exception in thinking the black man was inferior.

9th Nov, 2007 - 9:54pm / Post ID: #

Blacks & Mormon Priesthood Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

I conclude it was merely a "mindset" of that time and the early leaders were NOT the exception in thinking the black man was inferior

So true,

The prejudices of men are universally destructive to all institutions, good and bad.

I am grateful that it was a revelation that extended the priesthood to all worthy males, and that God brought up Men who could accept righteous change. I see this in President Hinkley who has visited and loved saints around the World, regardless of their race or color.

I believe the Christ, through his Church, is moving to unite all men in the covenant relationship of God and his children. I am hoping that the Church and its members can grow closer to the Savior's ideal of men loving one another regardless of differences.

> TOPIC: Blacks & The Mormon Priesthood

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,