Am I a Mormon? - Page 2 of 2

You accepted the gospel and got baptized from - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th May, 2007 - 6:41am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 13th Aug, 2003 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon?
A Friend

Am I a Mormon? - Page 2

Darby, I have found that a person follows the guide lines put forth by the Church, according to their level of Testimony.  You my friend may call yourself a Mormon as long as you like, but you will not be truely happy with yourself and your lifestyle, until you find out what the Church is all about.  Remember, you once accepted this gospel plan totally and completely, before you came to this earth.  If you really have a desire to become one with the Saints, study the doctrines, ask questions find the truth for yourself.  I'm sure all on this board will be happy to help all we can.  Welcome my friend!

Sponsored Links:
13th Aug, 2003 - 1:55am / Post ID: #

Mormon I Am

Posted by Ztodd:  I guess you could say you're still a Mormon, though you're not a good one.

...And who are you to decide who is good or not?

...then you're only a Mormon because you haven't been caught... yet

This isn't cops and robbers :smile.gif

16th Aug, 2003 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

Am I a Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Given the particulars of my beliefs and past, does it seem okay for me to call myself a Mormon?

Not if you're passing yourself off as an active member and, therefore, a true representative of the church. I was inactive for about 15 years, and did the same as you are doing -- strongly identifying myself with my family and past as a member of the LDS church, while living a lifestyle completely opposite from church teachings. Perhaps you are being prompted to return? I know I was, and I'm so happy to have returned! Come back. Your Father misses you.

Post Date: 16th May, 2007 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mormon I Am

"Our motives and thoughts ultimately influence our actions. The testimony of the truthfulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is the most powerful motivating force in our lives. Jesus repeatedly emphasized the power of good thoughts and proper motives: 'Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not' (D&C 6:36).

"The testimony of Jesus Christ and the restored gospel will help us in our lives to learn of God's specific plan for us and then to act accordingly. It gives us assurance of the reality, truth, and goodness of God, of the teachings and Atonement of Jesus Christ, and of the divine calling of latter-day prophets. Our testimony motivates us to live righteously, and righteous living will cause our testimony to grow stronger."

(Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Power of a Personal Testimony," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 37)

30th May, 2007 - 6:41am / Post ID: #

Mormon I Am

You accepted the gospel and got baptized from what you have said. So you are on the membership rolls. From what little knowledge I have about the matter is that technically you are still a member unless you been taken to court and excommunicated. Even if you ask to be removed from the the roles there is a court? That is the impression I got when one of my home teaching families asked to be removed. You also shouldn't have to be caught. Accept the responsibility of your actions. Being caught is worse than going in and confessing.

I do like what someone said earlier about none of us being perfect which is a fact and that I think repentance is the only way to become clean again. For the more serious offenses there is a process you have to go through, mentioned earlier, beginning with the Bishop. To be truly mormon than you have to go through this process and be subject to the church's authority. Even if you are excommunicated doesn't mean that you have to stop believing in the principles of the church.

If your asking if reading anti-mormon material makes you less of a mormon than I would say no. I have wondered and read what other people think of us and wondered what questions I might be asked. Especially since, "every member a missionary". If you start believing what they are saying than that is something you might have to answer yourself (I.e. if you are mormon).

Which comes to the point I want to make. If your asking yourself that question then you are getting pretty far from were you want to be. I think Our Father understands if we have our doubts sometimes. Eventually you will have to pick a side of the fence and it is better to do it sooner than later. I have asked myself if this is the true church and contains the full gospel. If you answer yes, than maybe you should consider that maybe any other ideas may or may not be true but it is not significant to your exaltation. They say other churches hold some truthes but it is the ones that lead to exaltation that are the the important ones. This church will lead you there. I am sure there are so many other questions you have, like me, but it was Jesus' purpose to bring exaltation to man and if we get answers to some of the other stuff it is icing on the cake.

I do not mind being called mormon since many people do not know what LDS is unless they are LDS. Granted, I am not sure if it should be capitalized since it is not a proper designation. smile.gif I also hope the preceding paragraphs makes sense, it is a little late.

mathman

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Am I a Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,