Would You Say: "I'm Saved?"

Would Say I' M Saved - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Jul, 2006 - 1:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 23rd Jul, 2006 - 8:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am reading a very interesting book written by Stephen E. Robinson. It's titled "Following Christ". In the book he is discussing the term "being saved", more commonly used among other Christians. We as members are generally reluctant as to claim that we are saved. That it is something to happen in the future. But at the same time we openly say that we are sealed in the temple. But, are we? Isn't this also something that will happen in the future?

The point is, they are both conditional upon our keeping the covenants we make as members in the Church. Robinson says it would, in a way, be correct to say that we are saved; conditioned on our enduring to the end. The same goes for Temple marriages, but here we tend to say we are sealed.

What are your thoughts? Do you say to non-members that you are saved?

Sponsored Links:
23rd Jul, 2006 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

quot Saved quotIm Say Would

Well, I do not go around saying, "I'm saved", in fact I have not had such a thing bestowed on me as yet, BUT...

We have two Topics that deal with this...

1. About Members who feel they are already 'Saved'

2. Election Made Sure (maybe in this Board, if not the Mature section).

23rd Jul, 2006 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Would You Say: "I'm Saved?" Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think this comes from a reluctance to distinguish what we mean by certain words.

Salvation, or being saved, is a completed act, as far as I am concerned. We are saved from death and hell by the Atonement.

However, what we usually think of when we are discussing salvation with other Christians is basically a form of exaltation. Most Christians consider salvation to be living with God, in heaven. Of course, their definition of heaven is as nebulous as their definition of God.

Exaltation is conditional, based upon the covenants that we have entered into, and how we have dealt with those covenants. Temple Sealing is just as conditional. So, when we state that we have been "sealed" in the Temple, we are saying that we have had a conditional sealing performed.

So, how do we deal with the discussions with other Christians? I don't know. That is one of the ever present questions that everyone asks.

23rd Jul, 2006 - 9:49pm / Post ID: #

What I have experienced with other Christians is when they say "I've been saved" it means they have found Christ, they are saved from sin and death and hell. They seem to mean it as something that has already happened, the moment they accept Christ into their lives.

In my opinion, as LDS, we tend to say "I'm converted to the Gospel" to mean the same thing.

Post Date: 24th Jul, 2006 - 9:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

JB, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Going around thinking you are saved and not being able to do anything wrong is definately not the same thing as being saved conditioned on enduring to the end.

The book also deals with what it means to endure to the end. As long as we strive and stay inside of the covenant, we are in fact saved. I know we use the word exalted in the Church but that doesn't mean much to a non-member. And, of course, exaltation is something that will happen in the end.

Sometimes I hear non-members even brag about being saved. I don't think we as members should brag about it, but I don't think we should give the impression that we're not saved either.

24th Jul, 2006 - 12:31pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Joheri)
JB, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I'm not sure what you mean...

QUOTE (You said)
Do you say to non-members that you are saved?

My reply, " Well, I do not go around saying, "I'm saved", in fact I have not had such a thing bestowed on me as yet"

I then listed Threads in which this is Discussed. For me having your Election Being Made Sure is in fact truly "Being Saved", we have Discussed this at length in that Thread, I am merely pointing you in the right direction as far as Discussion goes.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Jul, 2006 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Would Say "I'm Saved "

I see your point of view, JB...
I tried to search for "Election Made Sure " but couldn't find it....

24th Jul, 2006 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #

Would Say "I'm Saved " Mormon Doctrine Studies

As I said before, the Thread is in the Mature LDS section, hence you may not have seen it, but this is the direct link: Election Made Sure.

Offtopic but,
As is displayed in this: Thread, you will find the requirements for access to it.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Would You Say: "I'm Saved?"

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,