Women Belong at Home? - Page 2 of 2

49 percent of US women fear becoming "Bag - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 1st Apr, 2013 - 11:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
13th Aug, 2003 - 9:52am / Post ID: #

Women Belong at Home? - Page 2

Like most things in the Church, changing times causes changes of the attitude of the Brethren towards world issues. For instance there is actually an encouragement, yes, an encouragement for women to educate themselves to be able to work. How do I know that? We get the forms for Church loan to do it! It seems the Church believes as Marymaid said... 'there are times, unfortunetly in todays world a great many times, when a woman has to work outside the home'. So I guess the best possibility is mom at home, but when necessity arises, mom at work is needed. However, I should point out... mom at work should not be a good thing if it is to maintain an affluent lifestyle at the sake of the family. Let the Spirit guide.

Yes, it's the "ideal" to strive for, the woman caring for home and children while the man works to provide for the family. However, women should educate themselves, learn a skill, etc. because when bad things happen -- men have heart attacks, get in car accidents, couples divorce, and other such things -- the woman will have to provide for the family. And men should not so distance themselves from their family by working too much that if something were to happen to the *woman* he couldn't care for his own children.

As to women working at the expense of the family, in order to provide an affluent lifestyle -- that is definitely a hardship on the family. More of a hardship than a lower income would cause. There are ways to live comfortably with a humble budget -- it just takes determination and some extra work (at *home*) to do it. There is no replacement for the mother who is absent from home.

As a single mother, I try really hard to be as available for my kids as possible. I'm blessed to work for a very flexible employer who understands that my family comes first. But even with that flexibility, my daughter is in daycare almost 10 hours a day (yes, public school is just glorified daycare!). Strangers are raising her, not me. If I knew of a way to change that, I would, and I've been praying for it for years. (so either I'm not listening, or there just isn't anything that's right for us at this time).

Roz

Sponsored Links:
9th Aug, 2006 - 12:23am / Post ID: #

Home Belong Women

QUOTE (FarSeer)
because when bad things happen -- men have heart attacks, get in car accidents, couples divorce, and other such things -- the woman will have to provide for the family.

Interestingly enough the Old Testament had this outlined so the woman could still continue being home - the brother of the deceased would take the widow as part of his family.

As to women working at the expense of the family, in order to provide an affluent lifestyle -- that is definitely a hardship on the family.

In 2006 Sisters that I meet do not seem to think so. They talk of working to 'improve' the family, but all working does it provide more things rather than better relationships, more spirituality, etc.

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2013 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Women Belong at Home? Studies Doctrine Mormon

49 percent of US women fear becoming "Bag lady" in retirement:

Nearly half of women fear becoming a "Bag lady" when they get older, despite the fact that 60 percent of them are the primary breadwinner in their household and 54 percent are in charge of the finances at home. Ref. Source 5

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Women Belong at Home?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,