Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 3 of 10

This and many issues of the Church should - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Apr, 2004 - 2:11am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2004 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 3

Thanks for the reference gaucho,

I would also like a reference to the following allegation:

international QUOTE
(Quote) "Pres. Hinckley recently commented on this and stated that Brigham Young taught that if we were to see God we would see that he is Adam. Pres. Hinckley then said, I don't know what he meant by that. Notice he did not reject the idea, just that he didn't know."

Personally, I believed the Adam God doctrine was anti-mormon bullcrap. Then I read, studied, pondered and prayed about it and found that there are MANY quotes about it being true from Brigham Young and others. While the truth of this doctrine is as clear to me as anything else (As of this moment, it was not two months ago) I will not stand up and testify of it in church meetings becaue I consider it a deeper and more sacred doctrine not to be cast to swine. I believe that Brigham felt the same way before announcing the doctrine, this the many references making a distinction between God the Father and Adam. Also, after announcing it, most people did not seem ready to receive it and he therefore "Fell back" On not teaching Adam-God in public, but again making a distinction between Adam and God. Although, if the saints had all been ready for it, that distinction would have ceased to be.

Erdoch

Sponsored Links:
2nd Apr, 2004 - 3:31am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

If you look on the second page of this thread you will see some comments/statement from a past First Presidency on this issue.

2nd Apr, 2004 - 10:59am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

My wife was recently doing some research for a class, and printed out a 67 page paper for me that she found on this subject. It was actually a person's master's thesis from the mid 1950s, and is found on a Mormon Fundamentalist website.

This one paper has many, many quotes gathered together and analyzed. Basially, the gist of it all is that obviously Brigham Young believed this, as did other people, to greater or lesser degrees. However, some of the Apostles, such as Orson Pratt, did not believe it. John Taylor apparently didn't make much of a commitment either way, just left it all alone.

I have come to the conclusion that I believe it may be true, but will have to seek revelation to understand it. Obviously (to me) Brigham Young believed it, based on revelations that he had received. At the same time, I don't think that the people, then or now, were ready for it.

NightHawk

Rather off topic, but...

Erdoch, please go to the Newbies board and introduce yourself. It really helps us, as that then becomes a place where we can talk with you about yourself, and get to know you a bit better. Obviously, I know you a bit already, but the rest of the group don't. between, please, please, please put me down as having referred you. I want at least ONE referall.

Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2004 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Page 3 Theory God-Adam Mormon

The quote where Pres. Hinckley mentioned Adam God and he did not know what Brigham Young meant by that was from a interview from the New Yorker magazine:

In the Mormon scheme, every person is a potential divinity. The adage "As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be" expresses the Mormon belief that God was once a human being, with a wife and children. But Hinckley did not seem interested in discussing matters of theology. When I asked him to characterize God's connubial relationship, he replied, "We don't speculate on that a lot. Brigham Young said if you went to Heaven and saw God it would be Adam and Eve. I don't know what he meant by that." Pointing to a grim-faced portrait of the Lion of the Lord, as Young was called, he said, "There he is, right there. I'm not going to worry about what he said about those things."

Here is the entire article:

https://www.newyorker.com/PRINTABLE/?fact/020121fa_FACT1

3rd Apr, 2004 - 2:23pm / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

I have come to the conclusion that I believe it may be true, but will have to seek revelation to understand it. Obviously (to me) Brigham Young believed it, based on revelations that he had received.

You believe and you think Brigham Young believed also that it is true that Adam is 'God' in the sense of our literal Heavenly Father, the Almighty, or you believe that Adam is our 'Father' meaning the father of all races?.

3rd Apr, 2004 - 5:39pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory

Read what I said again. I believe it may be true. I don't know. I would have to receive personal revelation on the subject.

It is obvious to me that Brigham Young believed that Adam, known as Michael, is our Father in Heaven, and Jesus' Father. Other than that, I can't say much about it, although I have read much, from both sides of the question.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Apr, 2004 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 3

I haven't made my mind concerning this issue as yet but if Brigham Young believed that, it is obvious to me that was only his personal view about it since is not LDS doctrine, he never presented to be approved or canonized. I don't know if I would pray to find revelation about this subject that seems contradictory with the scriptures and we know anything that goes in contrary with the scriptures is false. What gets me the most confused is that in several talks by him he specifically says that God created Adam so it is hard to understand how then he could also believe that Adam is God. I also read from Pres. Hinckley statement when he was asked what he thinks about Pres. Young's statement that 'if we see our Heavenly Father again we will see he is Adam'. Pres. Hinckley replied that he 'doesn't know what Pres. Young meant by that'. I found it very interesting.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 3rd Apr, 2004 - 6:28pm

4th Apr, 2004 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

This and many issues of the Church should be addressed more clearly for members to understand... After all, it is widely known, yet members, both new and old are left to wonder... Even Pres. Hinckley it seems. wink.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,