Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 10 of 10

QUOTE (HappyLDS @ 10-May 14, 11:11 - Page 10 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Jun, 2015 - 4:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
Post Date: 13th May, 2014 - 10:10pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 10

international QUOTE
When you read that quote, what comes to your mind? What it means to you?

Well Miss Happy LDS, What comes to my mind when hearing this quote is the Adam-God doctrine, and how it makes sense. Adam is not a name but a position, a title. Read 1Corinthians 15:

international QUOTE
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Who is Paul speaking of when he says:"the last Adam"? The scripture footnotes will refer you to Romans, wherein it states that Adam was a figure of Christ; which is true because they are both Gods or Sons of God.

To me this quote means truth. It is true that man has the ability to become like God; and it makes the scriptures that others wrestle with become sweet to my lips.

I love being a true follower of Christ and member of His true Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Sponsored Links:
14th May, 2014 - 4:00am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

To JaGa comment,

international QUOTE
Adam is not a name but a position, a title.

Okay so [if Adam is a title] what exactly this position entitles?

Post Date: 14th May, 2014 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE
Okay so what exactly this position entitles?

Now this is just my understanding of the scriptures and what I feel the Spirit has told me in regards to this title. Adam is a title like Elias is a title. The title of Adam is given to all Gods who come to a earth and dwell with lesser intelligences. Hence Paul calling ,Jesus, Adam. Now remember this is what the Spirit has told me, not what any leaders of the Church have declared. But the revelation came after reading this:
international QUOTE
"Adam Sr. " and "Adam Jr. "

LDS researcher Elden Watson, editor of the multi-volume Brigham Young Addresses, believes that Brigham used the term "Adam" as a name-title for both God the Father ("Adam Sr. ") and the man Adam ("Adam Jr. "), comparable to the way "Elias" is used as a title meaning "forerunner" and applied to various people. According to Watson, the reason modern readers miss this is our failure to take into account all of Brigham's sermons in context. [8] Watson has the advantage of being more familiar with Brigham Young's sermons than perhaps any other living researcher, and he does clearly grasp that Brigham did not equate Elohim/Jehovah/Michael with God the Father/Jesus Christ/Adam as modern Latter-day Saints do. However, Watson's theory has not been widely accepted for several reasons: (A) it is not widely known, (B) it assumes that those in Brigham Young's audience understood that he was talking about two Adams, and © Brigham never directly explained his Adam-God teachings in the way Watson interprets them.

Post Date: 14th May, 2014 - 4:27pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Page 10 Theory God-Adam Mormon

The idea of Adam as a title is particularly intriguing if you consider the role patrons play in the temple.

15th May, 2014 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

international QUOTE (JaGa)

Now this is just my understanding of the scriptures and what I feel the Spirit has told me in regards to this title. Adam is a title like Elias is a title.

When I studied Hebrew at BYU, I learned that the word "adam" is simply the Hebrew word for "man," and nothing more. If you want to consider that a title, then I guess that we are all Adams because we are all men.

As for Elden Watson, I read his article, and the reason his theory has not been widely accepted is that, as he, himself, admits, his interpretation does not explain all of Brigham Young's statements with regard to the Adam-God doctrine. In other words, nice try but no cigar.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2015 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory

international QUOTE (HappyLDS @ 10-May 14, 11:11 PM)
When you read that quote, what comes to your mind? What it means to you?

Here is more of this quote:
international QUOTE

The spirit of the Lord rested mightily upon me, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and I saw as clear as the sun at noonday, with wonder and astonishment, the pathway of God and man. I had a direct revelation of this. It was most perfect and complete. If there ever was a thing revealed to man per­fectly, clearly, so that there could be no doubt or dubiety, this was revealed to me; and it came in these words: “As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may be.”
--Lorenzo Snow

Lorenzo heard Brigham teaching Adam-God teachings and never openly rejected them.

If President Young was wrong in his Adam-God teachings (And I myself believe he was wrong in some specific things he was teaching) then that verifies that a President of the church can be wrong in serious matters. The LDS leaders today claim their authority through the Prophet Brigham, so if Brigham could be wrong, then they could also be wrong in serious matters. In fact, they could be wrong in teaching that Brigham was wrong.

The Adam-God teachings of President Young are a stumbling block for the LDS church until they allow members the right to not sustain the church President and remain "Non-sustaining" Members until the issues they have are resolved-- even if it means a special trial as explained in D&C 107:81-84. Such a trial would end the controversy, but until such a trial having a controversy over even the President of the church is valid and in good faith.

Right?

Edited Message Edited...
Support: Numerous repetitive posts removed.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  « First of 10 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,