How Happy Are You?

How Happy You - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Mar, 2004 - 1:19am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 

?
Poll: (Choose the best answer) How do you feel about being a member of the Church?
  It makes me feel worthy and happy       0.00%
  I feel that it is the center of my life       57.14%
  I feel content with my participation       0.00%
  I feel that I have joined a large family       14.29%
  I feel I am in the right place but with the wrong people       28.57%
  I am not sure how I feel about it       0.00%
  I feel lonely most of the time       0.00%
  I do not feel like I fit in       0.00%
  I feel like I am not in the right place       0.00%
  I feel unworthy and rejected       0.00%
Total Votes: 7
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What the Gospel can do for you...
Post Date: 21st Feb, 2004 - 12:41pm / Post ID: #

How Happy Are You?

Membership in the Church can mean so many things to so many. Does the Gospel make you feel happy?

"Let us be a happy people. The Lord's plan is a plan of happiness. The way
will be lighter, the worries will be fewer, the confrontations will be less
difficult if we cultivate a spirit of happiness."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "Each a Better Person," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 100)

Sponsored Links:
22nd Feb, 2004 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

You Happy How

I had a difficult time deciding which answer to give. Ultimately, I voted that it is the center of my life, which it is. However, it is also a large part of why I am happy. However, I don't think my membership has anything to do with my feeling worthy. It does help me to live more worthily, though. I have lived with some challenges in my life, but my membership in this church has sustained me. It is through the knowledge I have gained as a member that I have the strength to deal with my difficulties while remaining happy.

I am not suggesting I never have sadness, but in general, I am happy person.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 22nd Feb, 2004 - 12:35am

22nd Feb, 2004 - 1:10pm / Post ID: #

How Happy Are You? Studies Doctrine Mormon

It doesn't help a lot to try to answer polls such as this when suffering depression, but my answer that I am in the right place but with the wrong people really does fit me, so it isn't just the drepression speaking.

We live in a very wealthy, active ward. We have incredible children. Both my wife and I have many decades of church activity behind us. Yet we are made to feel that we are basically worthless.

The rich and successful in our ward are held up for adulation, because of their temporal success. Liberal theology has crept in and seems to guide our ward. If I hear another leader say "We must come together as a community of Saints" I might just scream.

So, while I know that the Church is true, and that the Priesthood resides within it, one of the reasons that I am thrilled to be in the Nursery is that I don't have to go to Sunday School or Priesthood. The little ones are much more pleasant.

NightHawk

22nd Feb, 2004 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

You Happy How

I truly feel part of a large family -- including the members here on the Forum. When our stake went through boundary changes last fall, it was a big change for a lot of people, and we now have quite a few *really* wealthy families in the ward -- whereas the "old" ward was mostly poor folks. In fact the bishop used to say we were the best ward in the stake because we were all from such humble situations smile.gif

Anyway, even with the inclusion of some rich folk, I still feel part of a larger family group. Those people are so far removed from my way of life, I mostly avoid them unless we are serving together on something (like my VT companion!). Some I know from outside of church through my work, and I know how they are on a "non-religious" level. So I can use advice given to me a couple of years ago: "don't let people in the church keep you away from the church." My relationship with the Savior and my responsibilities as a Saint are not dependent upon other people.

The leaders are humble and caring, and I have seen true charity and love for one's neighbor from each of them at different times.

It was my activity in the church, and the loving friendship I received there, that helped me get completely off depression meds and feel so much more happy. I feel blessed to be where I am, at the time I am, and with the people I am involved with at church and other places (like here).

Roz

22nd Feb, 2004 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

You Happy How

Nighhawlk, in the poll I voted in the same way you did and here the reason why. I live in Trinidad where the Church is here since the 70's, you all can say is kind of new, although not totally. I never felt I was not in the Church until I came here. The way the things are run and the way the members treat each other, you will not believe it's the Church. You see that sometimes people say that no matter where they go, when they go to Church they all feel the same way no matter where it is, well...I cannot say the same thing. sad.gif We don't have the problem of wealthy families because all our members come from very humble backgrounds (including myself of course) but we do have a lots of problems of fellowshipping, I don't feel I 'fit' in and I try to do an extra effort to stay for the whole Church time because it is really hard (not to mention that having an hyperactive son and getting no help from Primary is really tough). The members see the Church as a 'club' a place to socialize and have fun, activities where there is food are full of them but when there is an activity or meeting about Visiting Teaching or a Service Project there is nobody!. I have no friends in the Church, I don't feel I have anything in common with the members here and when I thought at least the Gospel would be what can get us closer somehow, I realize the Gospel is not a priority in their lives either. So I don't know what to do. Don't get me wrong people, I don't think I'm better than anybody else here, because I am not, it's just frustrating to do this every sunday and have nobody really interested in to talk about the Gospel, the scriptures, or the things we talk about here in the forum because most of them don't even know who was Joseph Smith or what the Priesthood is. Yes, they may know the basic answer like 'Joseph Smith was our Prophet' or 'The Priesthood is the power of God on earth' but nothing else...this is not a matter of judging people, I'm just sharing with you why I don't feel I fit in. I LOVE this Gospel, I love to read the scriptures, study Church history and study the doctrine of our religion. I love learning from all of you my brothers and sisters, I really see this forum like a blessing in my life, it is the second place after home, where I can share my view about different issues of the Church and feel uplifited by your stories and learn from your knowledge and wisdom. The Gospel gives me strengh to continue working, it may be the Lord who have putted me here at this time to help somehow, but for now, I'm trying to help myself and see how then I would be able to help others. I love Visiting Teaching and my Visiting Teacher Companion, we learn so much when we visit our sisters and even though is not always easy, I feel I'm doing what Heavenly Father expects me to do and that makes me happy.

22nd Feb, 2004 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

How Happy Are You?

LDS, maybe you and JB should give serious consideration to moving. I think the Church as a family is so very important to happy fulfilled lives in the Gospel. I have heard many stories from both you and JB about the "saints" in Trinidad and it really doesn't sound like an uplifting place to live.

Don't get me wrong, I know it isn't for me to say. It is real easy for me to suggest, but have you and JB inquired of the Lord what he wants you to do?

My friends at Church were the biggest help when I was suffering emotionally. Without them, my life would be very different. Less happy I think.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Feb, 2004 - 9:11pm / Post ID: #

How Happy You

We want to move badly, but to be 'accepted' in this world you need more than a smile, so we are working on all the avenues to get us going. However, I do not want this to become an 'about us' thread so I will say this... I understand fully what Nighthawk is going through, I had the same trouble when I was in Maryland, I would dare say even worst because of my Arab look. Here it is a bit different, no one really listens (talking about from a leadership standpoint) and people are more interested in satisfying personal goals than building the Kingdom, hence it is slow moving. I have only come to realize in recent months that this is totally cultural and not really about the people in the Church, hence Tenaheff, you analysis is on the nail. I second what LDS_forever says too.

Post Date: 5th Mar, 2004 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

How Happy Are You?
A Friend

How Happy You Mormon Doctrine Studies

I understand how it feels when you do not feel at home in a Ward. I have attended wards all over the United States and yes! there have been places where I felt unaccepted, unwanted and even avoided because I was new, different etc. It is a sad thing to say, but a big part of this is that; part of the human nature to stay with what is familiar and to avoid anything different. Many groups of people, even within the same city, react differently to newcomers or anyone who does not fit the mold.
It was and probably still is one of the biggest problems that people who move frequently have when moving into a new place. Finding a niche in a community whether church or civil is a difficult task.
One hopes that as we humans learn more about the people around the world, it will open our minds to accepting the differences of the people in our neighborhoods and families.
I think that the gospel teaches different levels of tolerance of others as we live what we learn. As always each of us is on our own learning path.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: How Happy Are You?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,