Conversions through words or actions

Conversions Words Actions - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Jan, 2004 - 10:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
5th Jan, 2003 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Conversion through words or actions

One of the most misunderstood principles in the Gospel is
the fact that our words and actions do not really convert
anyone, but it is the Spirit that converts. Missionaries
are confussed with this when they teach and leaders the same
when they interview members, etc. They become over zealous
with their own action that they do not 'hear' the whisperings
of the Spirit instructing them in actions and words.

Sometimes leaders and teachers place more emphasis on what
they will say or do more than how they will invite the Spirit.
Christ thought that to Peter and the disciples when he said
that it was not 'flesh or bones' but the Father in Heaven
who revealed that he, Jesus is the Christ. Of course the
Father works through the Spirit.

Even Christ with all his glory, perfection and abilities is
the Second Comforter, the First Comforter being the Holy Ghost
(Holy Spirit).

We are thought in the Doctrine & Covenants that if we do not
have the Spirit we should not teach. What are your thoughts on
this subject? Have you had any experiences in which you thought
without the Spirit? How did you feel? What about in the same
manner, watching someone teach without the Spirit?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Jan, 2003 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

actions words Conversions

It's all about the spirit to me. The gospel itself eminates the spirit. It stands by itself.

There is a certain level of communication and teaching skills that will aid a teacher in transmitting the message of the gospel in a properly presented way.

The speakers ability to present the material is very important. I would dare say that a good speaker who isn't LDS could teach what the missionaries teach and have a fare chance of helping somebody begin the conversion process. I say this becuase the truths that the gospel presents are true, they are born of the spirit and can create a hope of Christ in anyone.

Back to the spirit. A faithful missionary or faithful member of the church that teaches the gospel literally has a great divine power to eminate the spirit and teach and testify by the spirit. That is very powerful and that is the way the LDS church teaches its members to teach.

I know that a powerful spirit filled testimony can cause miracles.

I know that teaching with the spirit is the best way to teach.
I know that members of the church can harness the power of the spirit by seeking it in prayer, scripture study, obedience and of course by love and mercy. When we teach with the spirit our abilty to teach is increased and our lessons become soul saving works.

7th Jan, 2003 - 4:28pm / Post ID: #

Conversions through words or actions Studies Doctrine Mormon

Oh, conversion to me is through actions, definetly. Sometimes we are so focus on how much doctrine we know, or how well we know the BOM or D &C and we forget the real purpose here on Earth. We need to be an example everywhere for members and non-members friends so they can see that there is something about us that is 'different' and they will eventually be lead by that 'light'.

Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2003 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I believe it is all three.  We are told to be an example to the world through our words and our actions.  The spirit will testify of the things we do and say to those who are ready for the gospel, but agree it is not us who personally convert.  It is the spirit but we are still the tools that Heavenly Father uses to invite the spirit into our own lives and the lives of others if we are obedient

27th Jan, 2003 - 8:16pm / Post ID: #

Peoples although I understand what you are saying and agree, we are forgetting something critical that is the basis of this thread. That is... the Spirit is the one that directs what words and actions we take. So, in order for us to have success, we must first look to the Spirit first and then find out if there needs to be action, and if so, what action.

A good example of this is the action of silence. Silence, an inaction which can be used as good action when teaching. How so? Well in certain teaching situations saying something and then leaving a long period of silence actually helps participants to 'listen' to the manifestation of the Spirit. The Spirit may request this of you so 'he' can now do the 'teaching'. Whereas we may become over zealous (if we do not listen) and keep on talking and talking.

I notice some teachers get incredibly nervous if they ask a question and no one answers in a split second. Silence will indeed work if that is what the Spirit directs.

Some of the things that was asked in the first thread was... "Have you had any experiences in which you thought
manner, watching someone teach without the Spirit?"

Let me answer some of them. In times where I became routein in my teaching (happens a lot if you teach all day the same thing) I suddenly realise - "Wait! Where is the Spirit in this - its not a seminar!" I have sometimes tried to wing a talk or lesson and personally felt bad because I knew I could have done more to first invite Spirit.

28th Jan, 2003 - 11:47am / Post ID: #

I notice some teachers get incredibly nervous if they ask a question and no one answers in a split second. Silence will indeed work if that is what the Spirit directs.

That's sooo true! I notice sometimes when the teacher ask a question in Church, I try to analyze the question before to answer but sometimes you don't have the time because the teacher interrupt your thinking by saying 'soo??? nobody knows the answer?'
I do agree with you that silence is also a powerful tool of teaching, I think in situations where may be a fight, silence is better for both parts (both of them cool down) smile.gif  and it allow you time to think what you have said or done.

Some of the things that was asked in the first thread was... "Have you had any experiences in which you thought  
manner, watching someone teach without the Spirit?"

In Doctrine and Covenants specifically the Lord says that if you don't have the Spirit, you will not teach. And I think is so important to follow this, that's why I have been in situations where someone has asked me to speak 5 minutes before a meeting or teach a class and I refused for the simple fact that I prepare my lessons way ahead of time but also because I look for the Spirit to guide me on what I'm going to say, how I am going to do this within 5v minutes?, personally, I cannot.
I have also participate in Church classes where the teacher upfront says that he/she didn't prepare the class because of this or that and I tell you, it's a big dissapoinment for someone who is sitting there to receive some insights. I think preparation and the Spirit in teaching both of them go together, we must be prepare in order to have the Spirit with us and teach.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 20th Jan, 2004 - 10:10pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jan, 2004 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Conversions words actions

During my last call to teach in RS, I could tell the days when i had the spirit and the days when I did not. And it didn't matter if I had prepared for the lesson, if I was not in the right frame of mind in class, or not receptive, I could not teach, I was "confounded" and stumbled over every word. I discovered I had to actively, sincerely pray many times before and even during the lesson for the spirit to help me teach and reach the spirit within my sisters.

Now I also must say that I have been asked to substitute teach on occasion, and with no preparation I have had some success -- because I stop in a quiet corner and pray for the spirit to guide me. On the other hand, I have prepared so earnestly and then forgot to pray and had my lessons flop for lack of the spirit. I have heard sisters say that they had lessons prepared, pictures and music and poetry and quotes all coordinated... and the Spirit during the lesson led them into completely different areas.

Without the Spirit, you cannot teach -- at least not effectively.

IMO
Roz

20th Jan, 2004 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Conversions words actions Mormon Doctrine Studies

I believe the only right way to teach is totally with the Spirit. As a member of the class it is easy to tell when a lesson has been prepared by the Spirit. The Spirit will be there if you properly invite it in. What I try to do is prepare in advance by reading the lesson materials as much in advance as I can. Then I pray daily for the Spirit to help me prepare my lesson. When I have done this, my lessons have always been successful. Sometimes, I struggle to put the lesson together and don't have the guidance of the Spirit until the last minute, but if I have taken the time to pray and prepare in advance, the Spirit never fails to be there. I don't know why sometimes that help comes sooner than at other times, but it always comes if I have done what I am supposed to do.

that's why I have been in situations where someone has asked me to speak 5 minutes before a meeting or teach a class and I refused for the simple fact that I prepare my lessons way ahead of time but also because I look for the Spirit to guide me on what I'm going to say, how I am going to do this within 5v minutes?,

LDS, I believe if the short preparation time is through no fault of yours, the Spirit will help you. Once, when I was education counselor in RS, I had a teacher Sunday morning awake to no voice. During Sacrament Meeting she gave me her written lesson plan. She didn't normally write it out entirely, but something guided her to do so. I was totally not prepared to teach that lesson, but it was through no fault of my own or the assigned teacher's. I think that may have been one of the best lessons I ever gave!

Another time, I didn't prepare enough in advance. I waited until the last minute to read the material and begin thinking of how to prepare my lesson. I really struggled that day. I learned, however, that it is up to me. If I do what I am supposed to do, the lesson will be good, if not, then ????

I am not special in this regard, so I really believe we can all teach with the Spirit. One of the instructions given to seminary teachers is to avoid all conflict because the Spirit will not dwell in you if you don't. Seminary teachers need to have the Spirit quite frequently because they teach lessons so frequently. I am really trying to live this and I find it really works.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 20th Jan, 2004 - 10:22pm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Conversions through words or actions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,