Mormon Beliefs About Aliens - Page 3 of 6

QUOTE (OneBadElf)Why would visitors fly so - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 25th May, 2010 - 4:35am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Are Mormons Aliens Other Planets have Aliens? Do they visit us? What Image Have They Been Created By? Are they little green men or just like us? What do Mormons believe about Aliens from other planets?
23rd May, 2010 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Aliens - Page 3

President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote the following in the Doctrines of Salvation:

international QUOTE

We are not the only people that the Lord has created. We have brothers and sisters on other earths. They look like us because they, too, are the children of God and were created in his image, for they are also his offspring (1:62).

I have never read anything pertaining to communication with those from other planets. There is however indication that God does not share information about the inhabitants of other worlds to a large degree.

When talking to Moses in the Pearl of Great Price.

international QUOTE

"And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose. "¦

"But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.

It seems that there is a reason, though I do not understand why, that God limits our knowledge and contact with other worlds.

We do however receive visitors from Kolob and its surrounding planets (God and Christ in particular) so we do in fact have contact with visitors from other planets.

Sponsored Links:
24th May, 2010 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Aliens Beliefs Mormon

These are some of the quotes I found:

Joseph Smith:

international QUOTE
"The inhabitants of the moon are more of a uniform size than the inhabitants of the earth, being about six feet in height. They dress very much like the Quaker style and are quite general in style or the one fashion of dress. They live to be very old; coming generally, near a thousand years" (History of the Life of Oliver B. Huntington, pg. 10, typed copy, University of Utah)

Brigham Young:

international QUOTE
" Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the moon? When we view its face we may see what is termed "the man in the moon," and what some philosophers declare are the shadows of mountains. But these sayings are very vague, and amount to nothing; and when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the most ignorant of their fellows. So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain. It was made to give light to those who dwell upon it, and to other planets; and so will this earth when it is celestialized" (Journal of Discourses 13:271).

Joseph Fielding Smith:

international QUOTE
"...the great universe of stars has multiplied beyond the comprehension of men. Evidently each of these great systems is governed by divine law; with divine presiding Gods, for it would be unreasonable to assume that each was not so governed" (Answers to Gospel Questions 2:144).

Neal A. Maxwell :

international QUOTE
"We do not know how many inhabited worlds there are, or where they are. But certainly we are not alone." On page 38 of Maxwell's Not My Will, But Thine, he wrote, "Of these worlds we learn further that 'the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God' (D&C 76:24). It is all more than we can really comprehend (A Wonderful Flood of Light (p.25)

25th May, 2010 - 3:10am / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Aliens Studies Doctrine Mormon

In my opinion there has to be life on other planets. How can anyone be so self centered to think that out of all of the planets and the massive size of the universe that this planet would be the only one to be inhabited? However, I do not believe that visitors from other planets have come to earth. As exciting as I find the thought of visitors from other planets dropping by. I just find it hard to believe that they would travel light years to us just to fly around the sky and leave.

25th May, 2010 - 3:13am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Aliens Beliefs Mormon

OneBadElf, what makes you think they would just fly around the sky and leave? Who knows, they are just observing and even experimenting.

25th May, 2010 - 3:33am / Post ID: #

Aliens Beliefs Mormon

According to the speculations of UFO enthusiasts we have had visitors for centuries. Why would visitors fly so far just to observe for centuries? In my opinion if we have had visitors for centuries we would probably of had contact by now. Just my opinion.

25th May, 2010 - 3:39am / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs About Aliens

I agree. I wonder what is the present opinion of our general leaders with regards to this topic? We know how Joseph Smith/Brigham Young felt but I never heard from modern leaders much about it.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th May, 2010 - 3:49am / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs Aliens - Page 3

I have heard nothing on the subject either. It would be interesting to hear what the opinion is now. Although, I think that the ideas wouldn't change much. If the topic from Joseph Smith was inspired and not just his opinion, then the idea would remain the same. This doesn't mean that it isn't an exciting topic to discuss and a thought provoking idea. I love sitting on a chair in the front yard on a summer night and stare out in space just wondering what it would be like to discover a way to communicate with another planet. How cool would that be?

25th May, 2010 - 4:35am / Post ID: #

Mormon Beliefs Aliens Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

international QUOTE (OneBadElf)
Why would visitors fly so far just to observe for centuries?

Not LDS Doctrine but you can start at the UFO Board and possibly this Thread for ideas: Source 1 for theories.

As for the quotes above such as the one from Joseph Smith... I bet some may just deem it their opinion rather than actual Doctrine.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mormon Beliefs About Aliens

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,