Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties?

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Jun, 2006 - 11:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »
29th Dec, 2002 - 3:19pm / Post ID: #

White Shirt and Ties

Ever wanted why it seems so difficult for some brothers to wear a white shirt and tie? Or sometimes if they do come in a hite shirt their tie is a bit 'loud'? From experience these are the reasons that some brothers say they cannot wear a white shirt:

* I forgot to get it ready
* It's too hot
* I don't have any (But they also have a new colored shirt somehow)
* I don't like ties because I feel it is choking me
* It gets dirty when I travel
* My dog ate it

The closest I can recall at the moment of writing this about the Church expounding on a white shirt and tie was a talk given by Elder Jeffery R. Holland. I do not have the word handy at the moment, but maybe someone reading this will place it here.

Something I do not understand are the Aaronic Priesthood holders that seem to be taking administering the sacrament so lightly. They laugh and giggle just before, during, and after the administering of the sacrament.

Sponsored Links:
30th Dec, 2003 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

Young Men usually are the ones who do not want to wear white shirts and ties, I guess they feel they're not 'cool' if they wear it, I don't know I guess it's a matter of age and maturity although I have seen plenty mature brothers who do not wear ties either...
Actually it's interesting because one of the so many versions of the history of the tie it says that comes from France as a symbol of 'war'.

21st May, 2006 - 1:56am / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think it really is an indication of where your mind and maybe your heart is focusing. It also has to do a bit with what the Bishop or Branch President views as the priority in administering the Sacrament. For instance, if a Young Man came to Church dressed in a light blue shirt and were allowed to pass Sacrament then it may be viewed by others as acceptable.

Yet, on the other hand many may not know that the boy was recently reactivated and does not have any other color shirt and is excited about passing the sacrament. The Spirit really must dictate.

Post Date: 6th Jun, 2006 - 4:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am going to chime in here,
I feel it is up most important for those administering the sacrament to wear a white shirt and tie. I also feel out side of that and temple work mute point. Our gospel Doctrine teacher has long hair down to his legs and wears jeans and a sweat shirt. still is a spiritual man. and like he says look on the inside not the out side. and he does when he goes to the temple wears a shirt and tie, and braids his hair in his native customs.

6th Jun, 2006 - 6:25pm / Post ID: #

I don't understand why it is so difficult to wear a white shirt and tie to church. Honestly. If you had a job where you had to wear a uniform to work such as police officer -- wouldn't you wear your uniform? You wouldn't go to work and say - Gee, sargent I couldn't wear my uniform today because I didn't have all of it so I am wearing jeans and a tee-shirt that says Budweiser on it and will direct traffic like that, is that okay? When you are part of a group that has special dress, you adhere to that. It is not brain science!

7th Jun, 2006 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

It's my understanding that for certain priesthood ordinances, such as passing the sacrament, officiating in meetings, etc., that a white shirt specifically is required. Is it also recommended that any male member wear a white shirt to meetings of all kinds? I wasn't aware of that ~ but of course I don't have any priesthood in my immediate family.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2006 - 10:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties

This is a very interesting topic. When I served my mission in Brasil, we worked hard to reactivate youth and families. Many times the members never went home teaching and wouldn't get involved. It wasn't easy. I was just happy with any youth that made it to church. At times, I'd see them passing the sacrament in a collared shirt and jeans. The chapels had no heat and where I was at the winter was actually cold. So, some youth even wore coats (and not the dressy kind) while in passing. I don't care what the manual says, I would never walk up to them and say "oh..um...you're going to have to sit down because your clothing just doesn't cut it for what you're doing."

Basically, we just took what we could get and were more than thankful for it. I do see the need for respect when passing the sacrament. I think white shirts and ties are great. Perhaps this is something which is stressed here in the United States, but elsewhere I find it not so earnestly pushed upon the members. As stated, the Spirit definitely must guide you in these matters. If the person has a full capability of dressing nicely, then it should be so. If not, perhaps members can arrange some clothes for him to help out.

When I was in Young Men's I had friends wear light blue shirts, tie, and khaki slacks. They looked very nice and respectful. I'm not sure if a white shirt really is necessary over any formal and respectful apparel. Of course, when someone came in with a shiny green shirt they also used for last night's winters dance, well that was a bit more dubious.

Something I do not understand are the Aaronic Priesthood holders that seem to be taking administering the sacrament so lightly. They laugh and giggle just before, during, and after the administering of the sacrament.

Aaah, yes. This I attribute to giving out the priesthood like candy. Many times, I feel the progression of a young man through priesthood is expected, not earned or understood. Case in point: You're a kid, you're baptized. You turn 12, you get the Aaronic Priesthood as a Deacon. You turn 14, you're a teacher. You turn 16, you're a priest. I see this all the time. Then, of course, the kid turns 18 and they wonder why some don't take mission preparation seriously. Why should they when so far the priesthood offices have just been slapped in their lap? I don't know exactly how to change that, but the problem is definitely there.

Post Date: 29th Jun, 2006 - 11:45am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties Mormon Doctrine Studies

I really don't think we should judge others that way. They might not even have a white shirt or tie, but their spirits might be in the right place. I would rather have a man who isn't dressed properly but is worthy bless the sacrament than a man who is dressed to perfection and isn't in a good spiritual state. I agree that a lot of the priests and teachers who prepare/bless the sacrament take it too lightly, but it's something that comes with maturity. I currently can't help them out or bless the sacrament, and it breaks my heart to see boys treating it so lightly while I yearn for that same duty.
My sunday school teacher used to wear really plain clothes to church, and his lessons were more about history than they were about church doctrine. One sunday he came in a suit, and things have been different since then. I'm not saying the suit made him change, but it was a way of showing others that he had.

Reconcile Edited: dbclayton on 29th Jun, 2006 - 11:48am

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,