Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? - Page 4 of 12

Personally I do not wear white shirts to church. - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Jan, 2007 - 9:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (12) »
9th Jan, 2007 - 10:47am / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? - Page 4

In my opinion you cannot over dress for the sacrament, unless it is loud, but as you said it wasn't, so the Bishop should allow this. As was mentioned before this is a policy thing. I will not go into it here - it is better covered in the LDS Mature Board: Policy / Commandments. The only real mention of the importance of wearing a white shirt was when Elder Holland gave a talk on it in General Conference some years ago (Search LDS.org), but even he admitted that there is nothing that says we have to wear a white shirt.

To show how Branch Presidents and Bishops can make this a non issue all you have to do is follow what some of them do: Keep extra white shirts and ties in the office, that way if someone does not meet the 'policy' you can simply give him the attire so he can.

Other than what has already been said I hope that helps.

Sponsored Links:
9th Jan, 2007 - 12:41pm / Post ID: #

Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

Here is the quote of Elder Holland about white shirts:

May I suggest that wherever possible a white shirt be worn by the deacons, teachers, and priests who handle the sacrament. For sacred ordinances in the Church we often use ceremonial clothing, and a white shirt could be seen as a gentle reminder of the white clothing you wore in the baptismal font and an anticipation of the white shirt you will soon wear into the temple and onto your missions.

That simple suggestion is not intended to be pharisaic or formalistic. We do not want deacons or priests in uniforms or unduly concerned about anything but the purity of their lives. But how our young people dress can teach a holy principle to us all, and it certainly can convey sanctity. As President David O. McKay taught, a white shirt contributes to the sacredness of the holy sacrament (see Conference Report, Oct. 1956, p. 89).

https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...e%20of%20me.htm

In my opinion, he is clear. He is suggesting the use of a white shirt for the purposes he explained, nevertheless is not meant to be "pharisaic or formalistic", in other words, not for the purpose of becoming "Holy than Thou" or get so caught into the way they dress rather than the purity of their own lives. Having said that, I get the feeling that no Bishop or Branch President should turn down a worthy Priesthood holder based only in the color of the shirt he is wearing.

The story of the kid wearing a flour-sack shirt to Church always breaks my heart, I understand the moral behind it...I just felt sorry for the kid that he felt so embarrassed to attend Church because he did not have a proper white shirt. Here is the story:

https://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Mag...%20shirt%20.htm

16th Jan, 2007 - 8:46am / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Hello, new here and just wanting to make a comment. I do agree that we need to keep a reverant standard in Church. However, to actually believe that you have to have certain clothing on to bless the sacrament is a bit overboard. I have blessed the sacrament wearing a sweater and no tie. I really don't think we should make something like this into a big issue as all it will do is alientate -- nobody gets positively excited about white shirts, but quite a few can get turned off.

16th Jan, 2007 - 10:35am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

I really don't think we should make something like this into a big issue as all it will do is alientate...

No one makes it a big issue save for those who enforces the idea of the white shirt and ties. This is a Discussion Forum - we share ideas and Discuss real life situations so we may better understand it / deal with it.

16th Jan, 2007 - 1:55pm / Post ID: #

Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

I just worry that this can be an issue to some people. Personally, I don't think a white shirt or not makes us more spiritual or not (I mean really, Isaiah preached to Israel naked for three years). I attended a seminar in Russia and while there met a professor who made it a point that he has held many positions in his ward and stake but is upfront that he will never wear a tie. He was quite intellectual and really was a non-conformist (converted from conservative Judaism as a young man). I would have enjoyed having him as my high priest quorum teacher.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

16th Jan, 2007 - 2:04pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties?

Fiannan said:

Personally, I don't think a white shirt or not makes us more spiritual or not

I agree.

I attended a seminar in Russia and while there met a professor who made it a point that he has held many positions in his ward and stake but is upfront that he will never wear a tie. He was quite intellectual and really was a non-conformist

I suppose the question is (and I am not talking about this example): Why wouldn't a good member of the Church follow a simple advice from the Brethren with regards to a white shirt? Of course, it is not mandatory neither essentially important to pass the Sacrament neither means more "spirituality", but why wouldn't a Priesthood holder follow the Prophet's advice on the reason of wearing a white shirt as he explained it before?

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 16th Jan, 2007 - 2:05pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Jan, 2007 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties - Page 4

QUOTE (Fiannan)
I just worry that this can be an issue to some people.

Why worry? If you can be worried over such a simple issue then what will happen if you see many of the other issues Discussed here? It is not up to us to say we should not make this an issue or not just because you think it should not be. Members have various circumstances and what may be an issue for them in their part of the world may not for you and vice versa (See the Read Me Thread within this Board). So, there are Bishops / Branch Presidents who see this as very important and others that do not. We have deduced within this Thread that although there is no written law that says anyone has to wear a white shirt yet it is within the capacity of the Judge in Israel to declare it as a policy under his jurisdiction. Please start from the beginning of the Thread and you will gather this.

16th Jan, 2007 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Personally I do not wear white shirts to church. The reason being because I just prefer color shirts. I like color. White gets dirty easily when I wear them and I just prefer color. I do not look at it as an excuse but rather my personal preference. I do wear a tie because I like them for the most part, but I have been known to not wear a tie from time to time to church. My councilor in my elders quorum does not wear a white shirt. (or a collared one at that) And I am ok with that. He is a great man I am glad that such things did refrain me from hearing the Lord's revelation to call him. I do pass the sacrament from time to time in my colored shirt if called upon. I wear a white shirt in the temple when doing ordinance work, but I usually wear a colored shirt to the temple. Its not a personal crusade for me to push my colored shirt on to everyone else, really I never think about this topic much. Personally I have a lot more to worry about in my progression then a white shirt. It seems to me to be a cultural thing, I really do not feel that Jesus demands me to wear a white shirt regardless who is in charge.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,