Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? - Page 7 of 12

I dont know about bow tie but last Sunday - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2009 - 2:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 12 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (12) »
5th Jan, 2009 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? - Page 7

QUOTE (CPRtoCTR)
Of course, as I said in my piece, up to a point it is a personal matter what you wear to church.

I believe we have addressed this in this Topic, and there is one clear thing missing in your rant CPRtoCTR, and that is the Bishop is the President of the Aaronic Priesthood and it is his prerogative to decide in what manner and way the sacrament is to be observed and passed. I would even add, him and the Presidents of the Quorums within the Aaronic priesthood that he calls. What way he chooses may be wrong or right in yours or another Member's sight, but it does not change his 'reign' if you will over the subject. This falls under the differences between Policy and Command, a subject dealt with elsewhere.

Do I think a white shirt on young men passing the sacrament is good? Yes, sure, why not. Would I shun someone because they have a light blue shirt? No. Is it my decision as to whom is 'ready' to handle, administer, minister the sacrament, no it is not.

Sponsored Links:
5th Jan, 2009 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

QUOTE (JB @ 5-Jan 09, 3:52 PM)
Bishop is the President of the Aaronic Priesthood and it is his prerogative to decide in what manner and way the sacrament is to be observed and passed.

So if he feels everyone should wear a long beard and red shirts to pass the sacrament they should do it? I don't think so. Maybe I am missing something, does it say anywhere in the handbook that white shirts should be worn? And yes, an OFFICIAL statement on the issue should be needed otherwise he can say he does not like blue so he does not want blue ties for those who pass the sacrament. What we have so far are the opinion of Church leaders who think it should be "encouraged".

5th Jan, 2009 - 8:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties? Studies Doctrine Mormon

The OFFICIAL statement is that the Bishop is the President of the Aaronic Priesthood. It is the Bishop who decides...

1. Who is worthy to participate in the administering of the Sacrament
2. He is the one who presides over the Sacrament meeting and thus decides how it runs, etc.

Do some Bishops have various views on how all of this is to be handled? Yes! Again that falls under the differences between Policy and Commandment handled in another Thread.

If you want to get into this deep then consider the other Threads here about the formation of the Young Men, etc. Everything has changed a lot over the years, I am merely pointing out who is in charge at ground zero with regards to this issue.

6th Jan, 2009 - 1:05am / Post ID: #

Page 7 Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

1. It gives a false sense of worthiness to wear a "purity" shirt

To say that the symbolism which is found in wearing white is a "false sense of worthiness" negates the need to wear white in the Temples. Wearing white is not to show others your worthiness, but rather it is to remind yourself what you are doing is an important task or ordinance. As with all symbolism, if person who wears the white shirt is not worthy, then he has committed a sin that has nothing to do with the symbol. The symbol is there for the edification of the person taking part in that symbol, not to show worthiness.

2. It sets a requirement some cannot meet financially (and there are tens of millions in this category in the US)

Dressing in a white shirt is no more expensive then dressing in any color shirt. I buy most of my white shirts at thrift stores for a few bucks and they work as well as any.

3. It leads to "groupthink" where identity is lost and the group is seen as perfect when they are not. (See reason #1.) In short, it leads to a more cult-like mentality.

Missionaries do not lose their identity when they wear similar outfits. I can attest to this based on my own experience. You see almost every type of personality on a mission, even ones that you clash with, but we (at least in my mission) all wore similar outfits (And missionaries are far from perfect). By requiring young men to do the same has no affect on the groupthink of the Aaronic Priesthood young men, except that it may help in unite the boys in one cause and purpose.

4. It leads to a congregation-sized clique where outsiders do not feel welcome

Are people that thin skinned that they are offended by some people wearing white shirts? Come on. The requirement usually only applies to those passing the sacrament and does not apply to those taking the Sacrament (regardless if you are wearing a tie and white shirt or not one may still take the sacrament)

5. It thereby hampers church growth

I do not believe this is a major hamper to Church Growth. Gossip, backbiting maybe. The strict moral code and standards of the Church (no smoking,drinking, purity in thought and deed) definitely.

6. Have you been to a modern church other than our own recently? The more relaxed the dress code, the more people come because they feel accepted and welcome. I'm not saying we should relax to the point of shorts and a t-shirt, but that we should relax to the point of color versus white.

People should feel accepted and welcomed because they are brothers and sisters in Christ, not because of a standard that a particular ward or branch has taken on concerning white shirts and ties. Anyway, why should we use a "Modern Church" as an example on how to gain converts? Conversion should come through the Holy Spirit and any other way leads to weak converts and misplaced loyalties.

7. It is a form of social vanity (We're better than you because we wear white shirts to church).

I do not believe most people who advocate wearing a white shirt and tie believe that it makes one better then someone else. It is a symbol, but it should not be a symbol of superiority. It should be, rather, a symbol of reverence and simplicity in dress. If the person who is wearing the white shirt and tie feels superior, then he needs to repent of that attitude, as well as the young man who looks down on one who does wear the shirt and tie because he believes he is superior because he has expressed his individuality.

8. Making it a social requirement negates the whole meaning of "dressing your best" for the Lord's day.

I am not sure I understand this one. Symbolism dictates that we should wear clothing that reflects an attitude of reverence. If a Bishop or Branch president asks that the Aaronic priesthood holders to wear a certain kind of dress, then that requirement is one that is meant to stress to the young men exactness and fidelity to the task at hand. If a young man fights the requirement, it may indicate a underlying problem of disobedience to a simple yet symbolically significant request. Sometimes, obedience in small things is required for us to learn submission of our own wills, even with something as seemingly insignificant as wearing a white shirt and tie.
(Could we liken this to the story of Naaman, who was asked to do the simple act of washing in River Jordan 7 times? He was initially angry at the mundane simplicity of the task, but relented at the request of his servant and was healed see 2 Kings 5:13)

9. We already have a garment that really has symbolic meaning; and we take great measures to "cover" that item of clothing with all sorts of clothes. There's a reason for that: beware of pride.

Are you really saying that we cover our garments because of pride? I was under the impression all of these years that it had more to do with decency and morality. I know what you mean however, and I believe our outer clothing should reflect our state of mind (shorts and a tee shirt at the beach vs nice dress at church) and reflect simplicity rather then show.
For our Aaronic priesthood holders, the white shirt and tie might represent a oneness of purpose. That oneness may be needed in a particular Branch or Ward and should be at the discretion of the Branch president or Bishop. Furthermore teenagers (at least I was) are slouchy by nature, and a dress requirement may be inspired counsel to reflect the seriousness of the ordinance rather then it just a regular activity they may do in school or at work.

10. Making other clothing sacred socially is idolatry and can lead to pride and damnation.

What? I do not think we have made the White shirt and tie sacred. We already have standards that require us to wear clothing that is not too revealing. To add the symbolism to our dress is not about idolatry, but about the symbolism of united purpose and thought that is part of the Sacrament. We are trying to change the teenager from being a part of the society of youth and frivolity to one of respect and seriousness and eventually adulthood. Taking part in the Sacrament should be part of the latter.

After all of this I do acknowledge however that a focus on the inner clothing is infinitely more important then the outer clothing. But I do believe that the outer clothing can affect the inner, to a certain extent, if kept in context.

D&C 124: 116
  116 And let him repent of all his folly, and clothe himself with charity; and cease to do evil, and lay aside all his hard speeches;

8th Jul, 2009 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

Ties Shirt White Wear Priesthood Mormon

Another pharisaic attempt that makes us forget about the real purpose of the sacrament. I mean come on I cant believe we're discussing this of whether something so insignificant like a piece of clothing of a certain color is necessary or not to pass the sacrament? think for a minute. If thats not how the pharisees thought back in Christ's time I dont know what it is.

17th Jul, 2009 - 12:15am / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties?

If we believe our leaders are inspired by God to make these sort of policies then we will hold that counsel dear to our hearts and do it without rebelling don't you all forget which individual had that spirit of rebellion from the very beginning.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Jul, 2009 - 4:30pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties - Page 7

What about if its a bow tie? Sorry if someone raised that question already.

22nd Sep, 2009 - 2:12am / Post ID: #

Mormon Priesthood Wear White Shirt Ties Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

I dont know about bow tie but last Sunday in my ward a new member came to Church dressed with a nice shirt and an interesting tie (one with Obama on it) the Bishop told him he cannot pass the sacrament with that tie! Go figure! So silly you know what am I saying? rolleyes.gif

> TOPIC: Mormon Priesthood Must Wear White Shirt and Ties?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,