Screaming & Autism

Screaming Autism - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 22nd Dec, 2010 - 12:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Autistic Child Screams - Screaming Autistic Children
22nd Dec, 2010 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Screaming & Autism

Screaming & Autism

One of my sons finds pleasure in screaming when he does not get what he wants or has trouble saying a word. His preferred choice of communication seems to be screaming even in his good moments, he has serious communication problems and can become very irrational if we do not constantly try to calm him down. I looked online to see if I could find anything about it and here is what I came up with:

1. One recommendation is the GAPS diet which is an avoidance of certain foods.

2. There is a method by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry that asks dentists to do the "tell-show-do" technique which involves showing what will be done, tools used and so forth so that anxious patients can become relaxed and not surprised. Not sure if this will work in our situation.

3. There were some good tips here: (we already use music as one way):

international QUOTE
Children with autism may have a difficult time controlling their movements or listening when they are busy looking at something else. Sensory integration therapy helps children with autism combine appropriate movements with input they get from the different senses, thereby calming him and helping him to focus. An occupational therapist can help you design a sensory plan to use with your child a home. Activities may include swinging in a hammock, playing in boxes, crawling through tunnels, balancing on a beam or spinning on a chair. Ref. Source 3

What are some methods you use as a parent of a child with autism that screams?

Sponsored Links:

> TOPIC: Screaming & Autism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,