Why do you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

Why Jesus Christ Son God - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 31st Mar, 2005 - 11:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 29th Mar, 2005 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

There is an additional question that I would like to hear the respondents answer in this thread:

Why do you believe that Jesus is the son of God?

I have struggled with this question for a few years now. I'm told by so many people that Jesus is the son of God and that the only way into heaven is through him. Still my brain begs for proof.
It says:
"How do I know that he actually rose from the dead, and was not just removed from his grave?"
"Did he really preform miracles, or was he just a doctor that had knowledge of medicine and health?"
"There are only three years of his life that are really accounted for, where was he from birth to 30? Was he in Nazareth, Egypt, Bethlehem, or somewhere else?"
"Was he actually proclaiming himself to be The Messiah, or was he simply trying to tell everyone that he was a son of God, just like we are all sons or daughters of God?"

I have really had problems with this for a very long time. I consider myself a Christian because I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ. I believe in his message of Love, peace, and faith in God. I still have problems believing he was actually divine. I feel that many Christians are so intent on pushing his divinity onto people that his message is lost. God gave me the gift to think these things, and I don't feel he will punish me for questioning what people have told me.

This quote from Jesus has always made me very curious:
"For I am the way the truth and the light, there is no way to God except through me."

Now if you just change one word in this phrase:
"For I am the way the truth and the light, there is no way to God except through myself."

I guess I just have a lot of questions about the religion that are unanswered, not questions about God. I have no doubt that God is real and works in our lives everyday. I would be very interested in speaking with people more about Jesus. You probably won't get me to believe that he was actually divine, but I still want to discuss it.

JMississippi

Sponsored Links:
30th Mar, 2005 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

God Son the Christ Jesus you Why

JMississippi, with all due respect, if you believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, which are documented in the Holy Bible, then you have to believe in everything else that is documented in there as well. All the questions you have raised are clearly answered in the Bible. If you don't believe they happened, then how can you believe in Jesus' teachings, or even that He existed? The Bible is very clear on the Divinity of Christ.

I guess I just have a lot of questions about the religion that are unanswered

What religion? Christianity? If you put your belief in what has been documented in the Holy Bible, then there should be very few questions, if any. I realize that in today's world, the Scriptures are very difficult to digest because they speak of unnatural and uncommon events and occurrences. The mind has been molded to think in logical terms, but the Bible reminds us that our Lord and Heavenly Father is not of this world, and that our purpose is to live our lives in the footsteps that Jesus has shown us, so that we may gain eternal salvation. Therefore, we must place our trust in his Word, which has been given to us by the Holy Scriptures. We can't pick and choose what we want to believe in because it sounds logical or moral. Otherwise, what else will we base our faith on?

30th Mar, 2005 - 8:33pm / Post ID: #

Why do you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God? Beliefs Religious General

To believe Jesus Christ is the son of God takes faith. You can't prove it scientifically. You can't use logic and reason to come to know this Truth. If you could, it wouldn't be faith now would it. I don't just believe he is the son of God, I know it. I know it because I have felt the Spirit witness this to me in my soul. This isn't something one can explain to another, in my opinion. However, I believe any one who wants to truly know it for themselves can.

The issue is, one has to really want to know the truth and be wiling to make what ever changes are necessary in their lives to acknowledge the truth when it comes. If someone is just skeptical because they refuse to ever believe in something that can't be proven in scientific terms, they will never know because faith is a requirement to know. That is part of what God expects of us.

"Was he actually proclaiming himself to be The Messiah, or was he simply trying to tell everyone that he was a son of God, just like we are all sons or daughters of God?"

I do believe the Bible is pretty clear about who Jesus Christ is relative to the difference between his divinity and my mortality. My father is a mortal man, his is not. We are all sons and daughters of God, true, but the Bible clearly teaches that He is more than that.

"How do I know that he actually rose from the dead, and was not just removed from his grave?"

Because the Bible tells us he did. As MAlexander said, do you believe in the Bible or not? If you do, I don't see how you can read it and then ask these questions. If you don't, then maybe the question needs to be more along the lines of "how do I know the bible is true?"

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2005 - 11:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I apologize for my poor wording on this subject. You are right FunBikerChick, I should have worded this as, "Do you believe that the Bible is accurate?" It is truly all a matter of faith. I don't have faith that we as human being could ever do justice to God. I believe we skew things and change them to fit our needs and desires. To answer your question Malexander, I consider myself a christian because I still do believe that Jesus Christ stands for a divine message of peace. (Like a Buddhist believes in Buddha's message.) I guess I just know in my heart that man is responsible for the Bible, and therefore I feel that it isn't right to just believe in these words without taking it with a grain of salt. Rather I read the bible as a tool to help me better understand how God works, and how he worked in these earlier peoples lives. My questioning of the divinity of Jesus was intended to get ideas from other people about the varying interpretations of Jesus. I apologize for bringing this up; I realize now that such a moot point is going to do nothing more than offend people. Again, I apologize if I have offended you.

JMississippi

30th Mar, 2005 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

Along with funbikerchick, I have a strong spiritual knowledge of Jesus Christ's divinity. I also have a similar knowledge of the Bible, while recognizing that it has gone through many different human hands.

There are other books of scripture that I also know the truth about, which support, verify, and even expand upon the Bible's message about the divinity of Jesus Christ.

31st Mar, 2005 - 3:31am / Post ID: #

I believe, as has already been stated rather aptly, because of the witness I've received through prayer and scripture study -- in other words, actively seeking for the knowledge for myself. I do believe the Bible to be the word of God, and as far as it is translated correctly, I believe the words it holds for all of us are true. Though it has been brought forth by men, I believe that the Bible has withstood the test of time to persist to our day for our benefit by the hand of God. How else would any of us know about Jesus Christ and God the Father if we didn't have the Bible?

It is through the testimony of the Bible and other scriptures that we learn of Jesus Christ and his divine mission. If we know that the scriptures are the word of God, then we know Jesus is the Messiah. We "know" this by actively seeking for the truth and confirmation from the Holy Ghost. Throughout the scriptures, we are invited to do just that: "ask, seek, knock" and it shall be opened unto you.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Offtopic but,
JMississippi said:
I apologize for bringing this up; I realize now that such a moot point is going to do nothing more than offend people. Again, I apologize if I have offended you.
You haven't offended anyone, JM. You asked for viewpoints, and that's pretty much what you're getting! We're just discussing the topic that you brought up, which is what the Forum is all about.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 31st Mar, 2005 - 4:14am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why you Jesus Christ the Son God

Does Jesus claim to be God? You need look no further than the gospels of the Bible to find out what Jesus says. Matthew, Mark, Luke all show Jesus words do not claim to be God or the only way to heaven. John is a different book, with most of his quotes not in the rest of the gospels, but most of them directly claim to be God. One would think such bold claims in John would be recorded in the other gospels, but they aren't.

Luke 10
25On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
  26"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
  27He answered: " "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind"[c]; and, "Love your neighbor as yourself."[d]"
  28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." 

Here Jesus clearly tells us how to inherit eternal life.

Mark 10
17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
  18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good-except God alone. 19You know the commandments: "Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother."[d]" 

The common misconception that Jesus was perfect, and thus God in the flesh is not backed by Marks scripture. He says he is not good, because only God is good, if he is God, then this wouldn't be a problem.

matt 15
23Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."
  24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." 

If Jesus was the light of the world, then why was he only sent to Israel?

mark 7
26The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.
  27"First let the children eat all they want," he told her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
  28"Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."
  29Then he told her, "For such a reply, you may go; the demon has left your daughter." 

If Jesus is God, then God views those not of Israel as dogs. Only her admonition of being a dog begging for scraps got this Syrian's daughter healed.

In summary, Jesus only claims to be God in one mans account of his life. Three others don't record and claims of Godhood, but rather claims of being the Son of God and the Son of David. In fact, Jesus never even claims that he was born of a virgin. Jesus's words do tell us how to get to heaven, he gave us a way, man made him a God.

31st Mar, 2005 - 11:18am / Post ID: #

Why you Jesus Christ the Son God General Religious Beliefs

If Jesus was the light of the world, then why was he only sent to Israel?

Interesting observation. Of course, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints don't believe he was only sent to Israel. We believe the Book of Mormon shows he was also sent to the Americas.

I believe being the Son of God makes Jesus a God, but not The God. Just like my being the daughter of a Human makes me Human. I don't believe they are one in the same being, but are of the same nature.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Why do you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,