Book Of Abraham - Book Of Breathings?

Book Abraham Book Breathings - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th Dec, 2003 - 7:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Book Of Abraham - Book Of Breathings? Related Information to Book Of Abraham - Book Of Breathings?
Post Date: 6th Dec, 2003 - 11:40am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I'm here to discuss why I was never taught that the Book of Abraham is nothing more than from an Egyptian book of breathings?

Also, how come I was never taught that the RLDS church no longer recognizes the Book of Abraham?

Here's one of the better links I've run across. Source

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 6th Dec, 2003 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

Breathings Book Abraham Book

Phil_a_lethes, you are posting indiscriminately on the forum. Keep it up and you will be banned. Here it is again. Please read the rules and look for the appropriate board for your messages. I feel inclined to let you know two things:
1. If your questions or rant is positive it may go in the LDS Deep Doctrine board
2. If it is negative in nature or have nothing to do with LDS Doctrine then please put it in the board called, 'Religious Beliefs, Cultures & Traditions'

6th Dec, 2003 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Book Of Abraham - Book Of Breathings? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I'm here to discuss why I was never taught that the book of abraham is nothing more than from an egyptian book of breathings?

The link you provided it didn't work in my computer. Are you a LDS member?. Please update your profile so we will know how to reply to your threads.

Also, how come I was never taught that the RLDS church no longer recognizes the Book of Abraham?

If you are an LDS member, why you should be taught what other Church believes?. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Post Date: 7th Dec, 2003 - 8:26am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I modified my profile.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JNES/jour.../623001.web.pdf

You have to give this web site time - it is a PDF file and takes time to download - No, it's not ANTI, It's a college level study of the Book of Abraham and is neutral.

If you want a church perspective on the Book of Abraham, then check this link.

https://www.fairlds.org/pubs/LBOA.pdf

Here's a question I posted in my Profile:

CRITICAL THINKING:

If Joseph Smith had a vision to destroy the Nauvoo Expositor, why didn't he have a vision that lieing about practicing polygamy would cause him to end up in Carthage jail and cost him his life?

7th Dec, 2003 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

If Joseph Smith had a vision to destroy the Nauvoo Expositor, why didn't he have a vision that lieing about practicing polygamy would cause him to end up in Carthage jail and cost him his life?

Phil, sorry but you're not making any sense. You started a thread about the Book of Abraham and now you're jumping into another topic. It doesn't work like this in the forum, it is very confusing. Let's stick on the thread, if you're interested in another topic, start a new one. Thanks.

7th Dec, 2003 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Phil_a_lethes @ 6-Dec 03, 3:40 AM)

I'm here to discuss why I was never taught that the book of abraham is nothing more than from an egyptian book of breathings?
Perhaps a better way to address this issue is to tell us what you mean by "book of breathings" (since most of us probably don't know what that is) and why you think it needs to be taught to us as LDS. You seem kind of angry about this, and the other questions you've raised. Let's discuss it -- but calmly, okay?

We welcome your posts and comments!

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Dec, 2003 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

Book Abraham Book Breathings

Phil_a_lethes, I think before we answer any of your questions you need to share with us your perspective of the Church (afterall, you did not introduce yourself yet), so we can know what is the end result of your asking these questions.

7th Dec, 2003 - 7:53pm / Post ID: #

Book Abraham Book Breathings Mormon Doctrine Studies

Yes, from what I have read, there are supposedly some similarities between the Book of Abraham and the Egyptian Book of Breathings. However, I think that this is based on the supposition that the one remaining fragment of the documents that Joseph Smith once had access to IS from the Egyptian book.

The problem is that the fragment of the Book of Breathings is proveably NOT the same document that Joseph Smith used. For one thing, eyewitness accounts concur that the document Joseph used had some writing on it in red. The surviving document does not.

Most of the original set of documents that Joseph saw ended up in a Chicago museum that was destroyed in the great Chicago fire.

As for the RLDS portion of the original post, I think it does have bearing.

The RLDS church accepted the Book of Abraham before the LDS church did. They were very excited by the find, and were wholeheartedly in favor of it as scripture. Within a few years, their support began to wane, and they rejected it as even coming from Joseph Smith at about the same time they finally fully gave up on Baptism for the Dead.

What I see in this is a pattern of apostacy. When we begin to reject true principles, and true information, our light decreases, until we are filled with darkness. (Doesn't this sound familiar, maybe from the D&C?) laugh.gif

(Oops! I almost forgot the most best thing I can add to this discussion...
https://www.boap.org/
is the link to the Book of Abraham Project, which is a great place for information about the Book of Abraham.)

NightHawk

Reconcile Edited: Nighthawk on 7th Dec, 2003 - 7:55pm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Book Of Abraham - Book Of Breathings?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,