Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?

Have Received Flu Shot Year - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 13th Oct, 2004 - 4:17am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 7th Dec, 2003 - 7:23am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am not getting one this year because last year me, my sister went and got a shot and we ended up with a bad case of the flu. sad.gif

What about you .. Did you get yout flu shot yet ?

Sponsored Links:
7th Dec, 2003 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

Year Shot Flu Received Have

No, I never did...I suppose in Canada because of the weather, you have too...in Argentina the flu shots are very common specially for the elderly people, they tend to get sick more often, but as you well mentioned, I met several people who got the flu shot and they got the flu anyway!

Post Date: 7th Dec, 2003 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? Health & Special Psychology

I haven't had a flu shot in a few years. Plus, my 2 yr old and myself had the flu earlier in the fall season. Where Shady works at, they offer their employees a free flu shot. But he was sick the day the shots were being given and wasn't allowed to get it. But it seems that everyone in our house is fightin off the flu now. unsure.gif

11th Dec, 2003 - 6:37pm / Post ID: #

I read earlier this week that the flu virus that is prevalent this year is NOT one that was expected and so is not included in the flu vaccine released for this season. I'll have to find the link. But in the meantime... this is what is happening:

Flu Outbreak

Flu Outbreak Hits Hard in 24 States
Dec 11, 12:00 PM (ET)
By DANIEL YEE

ATLANTA (AP) - Federal officials said Thursday that the flu has hit hard in 24 states, nearly doubling the number since last week and including almost the entire Western half of the country.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the flu has hit all 50 states at least sporadically, and the season has not yet peaked nationally.

The early and intense outbreak in some Western states has swamped many hospitals with sick children and dried up vaccine supplies.  As far east as Ohio, several schools closed for the rest of the week because so many students are absent with the flu. At Madison Junior High School in Mansfield, 250 of 900 students were out sick Wednesday, principal Timothy Rupert said.  "We've never closed down for flu," said Rupert, who has worked at the school about 60 miles north of Columbus for 23 years.

This is going to be a bad bad year for the flu. So even if you GOT a flu shot, it's probably not going to help.

Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 11th Dec, 2003 - 6:40pm

11th Dec, 2003 - 9:47pm / Post ID: #

Some experts expect the level of protection to be less than 50 percent.
      Most agree the vaccine will do at least some good. But the word 'some" is about specific as CDC scientists are willing to get.
      Doctors continue to urge people to get vaccinated, even though supplies are running short, because the vaccine may help make the flu less severe, even if it fails to give complete protection. It also protects against two other flu strains that could appear later in the season.  https://www.msnbc.com/news/1003288.asp?0si=-

I didn't get one this year. I have in past years. I probably should have gotten one, but now I don't know if it makes sense as late in the season as it is getting because it takes 2-3 weeks for it to be effective, plus one person in my office called their doctor yesterday and was told they don't have any more.

FYI, I read that the nasal mist is expected to be more effective against this strain of flu than the shot?

11th Dec, 2003 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

Interesting reading... this from a So. Carolina TV station website...

More on the Flu shots/Flu spray

He recommended remaining supplies of vaccine be provided first to children 6- through 23-months-old, people 65 or older and anyone with chronic health conditions such as diabetes and asthma or weakened immune systems.
For people not in high risk groups the nasal spray flu vaccine remains an option. In just two quick sniffs the Flu Mist of the flu vaccine is all done. It must be given in a doctor's office. Patients 5- to 8-years-old take two doses 60 days apart. Patients 9- to 49-years-old take one dose.

The flu spray contains the same three strains of the virus as the shot, but the spray uses a weakened live flu virus, instead of a killed virus found in the injection, so it may cause a runny nose and sore throat in some people.

Because it's a live virus, health officials say it's not for everyone, including pregnant women, children under five, people with asthma, people with egg allergies or people with a weakened immune system.

Even though the spray and shot aren't an exact match for the this year's flu bug, officials say the vaccines can still help cut the severity of the illness if you do get sick. Influenza typically kills more than 36,000 Americans each year.

========= end clippage ===========

I've heard also that with the flu spray, since it's a live virus, should not be taken by anyone planning to go out into a crowded area, such as a mall, as it would be spreading a live flu virus amongst a large number of people. That's interesting.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
12th Oct, 2004 - 10:38pm / Post ID: #

Have Received Flu Shot Year

With the recent problem where half of the US' flu vaccine was recalled due to practices by the drug company, more low risk people will need to move to the nasal spray so that higher risk individuals like children and the elderly can get the shots. The problem is the cost of the nasal spray is more than twice that of the shot. I heard rumors about the cost of the flu spray being reduced. I myself have never had a flu shot but am considering it because I have a young toddler at home. Are the concerns about the spray being contagious the same if there are young children at home?

13th Oct, 2004 - 4:17am / Post ID: #

Have Received Flu Shot Year Psychology Special & Health

That's a good question. I'll see if I can find out anything about it.

A friend of mine from church is a pharmacist, and at their store there is usually a big flu shot clinic. I wonder what they'll be doing this year??

Roz

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,