Don't Understand The Doctrine?

Don' T Understand Doctrine - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Dec, 2003 - 6:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
7th Dec, 2003 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

have you found yourself unable to understand the doctrine?

The Book of Mormon gives a possible reason for that...

2 Nephi 32:4
Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot
understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye
knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must
perish in the dark.

Sponsored Links:
7th Dec, 2003 - 7:13pm / Post ID: #

Doctrine Understand Dont

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 7-Dec 03, 11:26 AM)

Having grown up deep in Mormon culture, I thought I understood the doctrine. But I was wrong.

Every day, I get different insights into the Gospel of Jesus Christ, whether it is while reading in the scriptures, listening to the Book of Mormon on tape, listening to Christian and/or Catholic radio, or participating in mailing lists and forums.

What I have concluded is that I know and understand very little, and need to follow the advice that you quoted much better.

I have learned that the Lord will lead me to greater understanding. Since I was ordained a High Priest, everything has changed for me, but not in High Priests group, only within myself.

NightHawk

7th Dec, 2003 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Don't Understand The Doctrine? Studies Doctrine Mormon

There is so much to yet know, and that is why I can see why Moses said in Moses 1:10 that 'Man is nothing' which thing he had never before supposed. What you said about change within self is so true. Often you can bring up some of the deeper truths but everyone seems unenthused. It is a shame, since the quorums are where some of the deepest truths can be learned and discussed, but that is another thread.

8th Dec, 2003 - 2:47am / Post ID: #

Doctrine Understand Dont

As Nighthawlk said, I know also very little although I feel very happy because in this couple of years I have learnt so much! through reading and speaking with you all. And everytime I learn something new, it makes me want to share it with everybody! and learn more and more and more...

Yes, I'm not able to understand all doctrine and sometimes I tend to go and look for the answers in books, instead of asking Heavenly Father. Thanks for that quote JB, it helped me to understand and remember what I really need to do.

10th Dec, 2003 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Doctrine Understand Dont

After being inactive for many years, at first it was hard for me to really understand what I was reading in the scriptures (and other texts). When I was called to teach in Relief Society in the "Teaching of Presidents of the Church" series, I knew I would have to pray for inspiration and the Spirit! And I can tell you there is a huge difference between having the Spirit to teach you and not having the Spirit. There is also a scripture somewhere that says the more light and knowledge you receive, the more shall be given you.... I can't remember where that is right now, but might be in the BOM. Here's one similar:

"23 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
24 And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
25 For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.'(New Testament | Mark 4:23 - 25)

And when I "had not" even more was taken from me. There is so much that I forgot during my inactive years that I felt like an idiot sometimes. I'm doing much better now smile.gif

Roz

10th Dec, 2003 - 11:01am / Post ID: #

I think this is what you are looking for:
D&C 50:24
24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.

NightHawk

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Dec, 2003 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

Don't Understand Doctrine

Hmmm that's close, but it's not clicking. I'm pretty sure I just read it during my "crash" session with the BOM.... It's going to bug me now till I find it.

Roz

10th Dec, 2003 - 6:45pm / Post ID: #

Don't Understand Doctrine Mormon Doctrine Studies

Not sure what you are after Farseer, I know in the D&C it talks about not teaching until you have the Spirit, however there are some that touch me, and maybe you too...

Jacob 1:19
19 And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us
the responsibility
, answering the sins of the people upon our own
heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all
diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood
might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would
come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the
last day.

Mosiah 18:19
19 And he commanded them that they should teach nothing save it
were the things which he had taught, and which had been spoken by
the mouth of the holy prophets.

Mosiah 18:26
26 And the priests were not to depend upon the people for their
support; but for their labor they were to receive the grace of
God, that they might wax strong in the Spirit, having the
knowledge of God, that they might teach with power and authority
from God.

1 Nephi 2:16
16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young,
nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great
desires
to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry
unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my
heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by
my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my
brothers.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Don't Understand The Doctrine?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,