Do You Invest In The Stock Market? - Page 2 of 4

QUOTE Pessimistic stock guru goes with the - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 28th Sep, 2006 - 4:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
17th Dec, 2003 - 2:27pm / Post ID: #

Do You Invest In The Stock Market? - Page 2

myfireduck said:

As I said, you must know yourself first. And taking the exception to generalize the whole sector or industry is just not fair. There are so many good funds and fund managers that consistently produce good results for their clients.
You are right, I was generalizing. It just seems that the solid "name brand" or "benchmark" companies that in the very recent past have been associated with good, honest money management are being investigated for "irregular" activities or outright fraud. How, then, can you know who to pick? Suddenly, one has to dig much deeper to find a fund manager one can trust....

Roz

Offtopic but,
I chose to quote only a few lines, not to be unfair, but in order not to quote your entire post into my post..I don't want Mr. Smith after me smile.gif

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 17th Dec, 2003 - 2:30pm

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
1st Jan, 2004 - 11:04pm / Post ID: #

Market Stock The Invest Do

A memorable year
For fund investors, 2003 brings success -- and scandal
By Jonathan Burton, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 4:45 PM ET Dec. 31, 2003

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Surging U.S. markets propelled stock mutual funds this year to their best annual gains in almost a decade, as investors discounted a deepening industry scandal and celebrated the end of a three-year bear market.
Full story here...

==============================================

It just amazes me that it all goes on as "business as usual" even with all the scandals.

"Federal and state securities regulators now are investigating dozens of firms, and fraud charges are pending against some prominent companies and senior executives. Before the Securities and Exchange Commission and crusading New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer are through, other fund companies will be implicated and punitive fines and jail terms will be levied. "

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

27th Mar, 2004 - 4:19am / Post ID: #

Do You Invest In The Stock Market? History & Civil Business Politics

The dollar is falling. But its progress towards worthlessness is being temporarily held up by a delightful
game of 'make believe' with the Chinese. Americans mortgage their houses and run up credit card bills so
they can buy Chinese-made goods and make believe that they are wealthy...while the Chinese make believe
that they can grow an economy by selling things to people who can't pay for them. On both sides of the
Pacific, the 'make believe' is aided and abetted by politics. The Chinese government desperately needs to
create jobs for its millions of workers - so it lends money to Americans knowing that the money may never be
repaid. The Bush Administration desperately needs to maintain the illusion of prosperity through the next
election, so it, too, spends money it doesn't have...and lures voters to do the same, with E-Z credit terms from
the Fed. - Bill Bonner (Editor of "The Daily Reckoning")

What we've seen for the last year is nothing more than a cyclical bounce upwards, a classic 'sucker rally,'
similar to what happened in 1930. Stocks are selling for outrageous prices. So I recommend you take the
money and run. But run where? I think the precious metals are the only place to be. But I've said for years
that, this cycle, gold isn't just going to go through the roof. It's going to the moon. - Doug Casey ("International Speculator")

10th May, 2006 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Market Stock The Invest Do

I find it interesting that the Dow is currently at 11,650, and getting ready to set an all-new high, yet the US economy, some people say, is in the pits. Most of the economic data, such as stock market data, unemployment data, etc is identical to what it was 10 years ago, save for the deficit, but the current war is what has the market feeling skeptical. I also find it funny that no one is talking about the high Dow average, but 10 years ago, the Dow record then was big news. I suppose it would be too much for the media to admit that the economy isn't as bad as they portray it to be.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2006 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Do You Invest In The Stock Market?
A Friend

Market Stock The Invest Do

/\ What about our friends, institutional money and their retiree clients?

Truthfully, stock market is not a gamble, if you know to properlyanalyze stocks, options.

Post Date: 29th Jun, 2006 - 2:06pm / Post ID: #

Oooh! You must be rich, sweetie! Do tell your secrets to successful stock analysis, and the rest of us will share the wealth. Or perhaps just we two can go shopping!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2006 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do Invest The Stock Market - Page 2

I wish I was rich.However, Google MACD(or moving average convergence divergence), stochastics, and reply rolleyes.gif

28th Sep, 2006 - 4:18am / Post ID: #

Do Invest The Stock Market Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Pessimistic stock guru goes with the short answer
By Brett Arends
Boston Herald Business Columnist
Monday, September 25, 2006 - Updated: 12:28 PM EST

Fred Hickey is used to going against the crowd.
    Everyone scoffed in 1999 when the veteran Nashua, N.H., stock market guru, who publishes the influential High-Tech Strategist investment newsletter, warned that the tech bubble was going to pop.
    And they dismissed him as a wild alarmist early last year when he said house prices were going to slump.
    What's his view now?
    "I think we"re going to have a crash, across the stock market," he told me Friday.
    Yes, Wall Street has been flirting with new highs. And the stock market cheerleaders on TV are waving their pom-poms madly, urging you to put more money into the market.
But people with long memories know that is exactly the time to get nervous.
    Think: 1929, 1987 and 1999.
    Hickey isn't alone in his worries. As reported here, several top investment managers - from Warren Buffett to Jeremy Grantham to Manu Daftary - have been pulling back from the stock market and hoarding cash.
    Many simply think equity prices are too high.
    Hickey's viewpoint is more alarming. He thinks the real estate slump is going to develop into a crisis that will spread across the economy.
    Hickey points out that housing sales have collapsed, prices are eroding, and a whole army of homeowners on adjustable-rate mortgages face sharp spikes in their monthly payments as their introductory periods expire.
    And he thinks it's going to get a lot worse.

There are actually quite a lot of financially inclined folks seriously warning investors of the fall that's coming, and that it's coming soon. The Federal Reserve Bank (not government controlled, but a mis-named private bank that loans cash to the government) believes that if they can control the interest rates (and thereby inflation) that they can create a "soft landing" for the economy rather than suffer a major crash. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Even though the stock market is again flirting with record high numbers, that's exactly the time to be extremely watchful. For the same reason you don't want to buy an adjustable rate mortgage when rates are at all time lows, you don't want to buy into the stock market when it's at all time highs!

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Do You Invest In The Stock Market?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,