Mad Cow In The U. S. A. - Page 2 of 3

This is not good news for US beef producers - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 25th Jun, 2005 - 4:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Will you buy steak now?
1st Jan, 2004 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Mad Cow In The U. S. A. - Page 2

They sent her to the meat processor after she seized up after a calving. As I said before, they lost out on the money from the milk she would have produced, so they decided to get a few bucks from the meat. Greed and stupidity.

Canadian Press
September 17, 2003
Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up
Ralph Klein suggests Alberta farmer should have
covered up mad cow case
BY TIM COOK
(CP) - Alberta Premier Ralph Klein has taken aim at the owner of the province's infamous mad cow,
saying a "self-respecting" rancher would not have taken the animal to slaughter but would instead have
simply "shot, shovelled and shut up."

What surprises me is that the meat ended up in 8 different states -- that's just crazy... I would think it would all go to one place, it's just one cow.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jan, 2004 - 2:52pm / Post ID: #

A S U The Cow Mad

FarSeer, the meat recall includes all meat processed at the plant at the same time the sick cow was processed. This is being done as a precaution in case "good" meat was contaminated by "bad." That is why it covers such a wide area and includes 1,000's of pounds.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

3rd Jan, 2004 - 6:17am / Post ID: #

Mad Cow In The U. S. A. History & Civil Business Politics

That makes sense -- of course! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

3rd Jan, 2005 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 A S U The Cow Mad

U.S. agriculture officials reaffirmed their support for lifting the ban on Canadian beef despite the discovery of a second case of mad cow disease in Canada, expressing confidence that public health measures will protect American livestock and consumers.

and from the same article--

The border was closed to Canadian beef 19 months ago when a cow in northern Alberta was discovered with mad cow disease. Concerns persisted after a Canadian-born cow in Washington state was found in December 2003 to have the disease.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6769555/

This makes me wonder if we are taking risks because it is Canada that we wouldn't take if it was another country such as Brazil or Argentina, for example. I don't see why you would lift the ban when there has just been a newly discovered case. The article did attempt to offer a justification, though:

The USDA ruling, effective March 7, came with conditions. Canadian cattle must be slaughtered by the age of 30 months, which scientists say is too young to contract mad cow disease, and they must be transported in sealed containers.

Now, what I wonder is, is it really too young to contract the disease, or just too young to detect the disease...

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

4th Jan, 2005 - 6:55am / Post ID: #

A S U The Cow Mad

I'm sure it's partly to show support for Canada and not cause another stir like the last one. If I recall correctly, other countries shut down imports from the US really really quickly after the last incident; perhaps the US is responding more mildly to prevent that occurrence.

Whatever the reason, it's disturbing to have another case reported. And that quote about 30 months too young to contract the disease? I think that's exactly as you said, tenaheff: too young to show signs.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Post Date: 11th Jun, 2005 - 12:42pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mad Cow In The U. S. A.

U.S. SUSPECTS ANOTHER CASE OF MAD COW
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says it is investigating another possible case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy [BSE], also known as mad cow disease.
Ref. https://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...anns050610.html

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Jun, 2005 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mad Cow The U. S. A. - Page 2

Confirmed!

Tests have confirmed the second case of mad cow disease in the United States, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Friday.
Ref. CBC.com
Ref. CNN.com

25th Jun, 2005 - 4:45am / Post ID: #

Mad Cow The U. S. A. Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

This is not good news for US beef producers or consumers. This latest round has my family seriously reconsidering our beef consumption -- where does it come from, really? I'm sure we will have much discussion on this issue at home. My dad has always been very picky about beef (and any other type of meat) that he purchases. This makes him doubly careful, and considering only locally raised, "organic" beef.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mad Cow In The U. S. A.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,