Mormon Sisters Working?

Mormon Sisters Working - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Jan, 2004 - 12:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

?
Poll: Do you feel the mother of the home should work?
  Yes, I see nothing wrong with it       39.29%
  Yes, Only if it is absolutely necessary       50.00%
  Yes, but part-time only       0.00%
  Yes, if the husband wants it       0.00%
  No, a mother should be home       10.71%
  No, women should be home       0.00%
Total Votes: 28
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
The provider at home. Should the husband / father be the sole bread winner? Controversial Mormon Issue.
Post Date: 27th Dec, 2003 - 11:02pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?

What are your views on our Sisters working, gaining an education and doing other activities while being a mother and wife?

"There are impelling reasons for our sisters to plan toward employment.. .
We want them to obtain all the education and vocational training possible
Before marriage. If they become widowed or divorced and need to work, we
Want them to have dignified and rewarding employment. If a sister does not
Marry, she has every right to engage in a profession that allows her to
Magnify her talents and gifts."

(Howard W. Hunter, "Prepare for Honorable Employment," Ensign, Nov. 1975, 124)

Sponsored Links:
27th Dec, 2003 - 11:52pm / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

I believe a mother should be home, but I recognize this is not always possible. It is easy to judge someone and say they are working, but could make it without working. Maybe we are judging because we see they have many luxuries. It is possible they couldn't make ends meet without both incomes but with both incomes have the ability to afford luxuries.

I think it is important for women to have the ability to earn a living even if they don't ever need to use it. One can never be sure how their lives will end up. A woman could become widowed with young children. Worse, she could be divorced. Even if she wants nothing to do with a divorce, her husband could decide to get one. I say this is worse than being widowed because often a widow will have some life insurance to rely upon while becoming prepared to provide for her family. A divorced women will not have this financial cushion to help her get on her feet.

Every mother is responsible for the well being of her children. In my opinion that includes doing everything in her power to ensure her children aren't raised without the basic necessities of life.

28th Dec, 2003 - 12:52am / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working? Studies Doctrine Mormon

tenaheff said:

I think it is important for women to have the ability to earn a living even if they don't ever need to use it.
I agree 100% with this. Of course, since I'm the "breadwinner" at my house, I have to work. I just wish I could find a way to work from home. I am a product of a "working mother home" and I can tell you, there is no substitute for mom at home. Kids with no supervision or with some other adult in charge are not going to grow up with the values we want to instill in them. They will see home and motherhood and family as things to avoid. I have a good friend, a working mother, whose 10-yr-old daughter was wondering what she should be when she grows up. Her mother suggested that she could be a Mommy. The little girl said, "No! I mean during the *day*."

I do believe that women, even when blessed with the luxury of being home with their children, should educate themselves about the family financial matters and find out what sort of vocation they may be suited for. And continue their advanced education from home -- there are great programs now online that provide more opportunities for women at home than ever before.

Death, divorce, or disability -- the three dreaded "D" words. Women, mothers or not, should be prepared to support themselves and their entire family if need be.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

28th Dec, 2003 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

I think women should stay at home nurturing in every aspect to her children. But like the leaders of the Church have said, there are situations when this is not possible and Heavenly Father understands. I wish I could stay at home with my son, I will start working in January and my schedule is pretty good 7:40-2:15pm. But I'm glad that my son will start also going to pre-school, he needs that interaction with other children! and I will not feel so guilty to leave him at home. sad.gif I'll miss him terribly but I do think I will learn how to appreciate him more and love him even more than I already do. smile.gif

5th Jan, 2004 - 5:06pm / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

I have been married for almost 20 years. My wife was working as a school teacher in Peterborough, England, when we got married. At the end of the term, she was pregnant and we expected to be moving to the US shortly thereafter, so she quit work. Since then, she has worked a couple of part time jobs, but that is it, as far as working outside the home. Even when I was going to school with six children, she didn't work outside the home.

It hasn't been easy. In fact, with one daughter in college and a son eligible to go on a mission in a year or so, it isn't going to get any easier. But it is worth it.

If there are no children in the home, I think that a woman should seriously consult with the Lord before making such a choice. But that is entirely between her and her Father.

Of course there are times when there is very little choice. But I think many people take the idea of "no choice" to the extreme. I have a sister who took an excellent job with a software company. She eventually ended up working for Microsoft. Her husband couldn't begin to earn as much as she did, so he stayed home with the children. Now, she has beendownsized, and he works as a janitor (with a 4-year degree in philosophy). He never took his degree the extra step - to a law degree or a PhD so that he could earn what they need. Now, with things getting a little bit desperate, he expects her to find another job. They have two little children at home, with another on the way.

Yes, she made a great living. But the Prophets haven't suggested that mothers don't work outside the home unless they can make more money than their husbands.

At the same time, I can only speak about the general trend. It isn't my place to judge individuals. But I think that we will eventually see that the mothers who choose to work outside the home lightly will eventually pay a very heavy price.

NightHawk

5th Jan, 2004 - 5:43pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?

But I think that we will eventually see that the mothers who choose to work outside the home lightly will eventually pay a very heavy price

Yep, we may see that. I know in the USA may be easier for one person to maintain a family, but living in a third world country like I do, plus a small island, gosh....it is almost impossible to earn a living. sad.gif I will be working for first time, I'm not that happy about it because I don't wanna leave my son and the funny thing is that what I will earn will just help to pay the bills, it's not luxury or anything like that, just basic living!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th Jan, 2004 - 6:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working

This is a tough subject. Yes, all children benefit from having mommy at home. I absolutely believe this. I think maybe things would have happened differently with my son if I didn't work outside the home, yet it also hurts children to be raised in poverty. I think it is fine for the mother to stay home and let the father support the family when this is possible. However, sometimes I think it isn't necessarily the best thing. While it may be that the mother can stay home, and the family collect food stamps (or some other government subsidy in countries that have this option), I don't think this is best.

I believe that we should be willing to make sacrifices and go without certain luxuries in order for mom not to work, but I don't think we should rely on the government or other taxpayers to support us so that we don't have to work. First of all, it is never really enough money, and second I think it is important for our children to see us being self-sufficient olr at least making the effort to be so. A big problem in the US is families that are on Welfare and their children grow up and go on Welfare and it keeps on going. I am all for helping those in need, but it seems like children raised on government subsidies don't end up with enough of what they need to become self-sufficient themselves. Whether they lack initiative and drive or the funds necessary to educate themselves and get a good job, doesn't really matter, in the end the result is the same.

I don't think food or a decent home and decent clothing are luxuries. I may not need the big house with a 2 car garage, but I don't think I should have to live in a government subsidized housing project where my child will be surrounded by crime either. The choices are probably even more drastic in a third world country. So, like Nighthawk says, we need to be careful not to judge others for the choices they make.

6th Jan, 2004 - 12:33pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working Mormon Doctrine Studies

A big problem in the US is families that are on Welfare and their children grow up and go on Welfare and it keeps on going. I am all for helping those in need, but it seems like children raised on government subsidies don't end up with enough of what they need to become self-sufficient themselves.

They abuse the system, I have seen this a lot when I was in the USA. It made me angry for two reasons: 1) because they do not appreciate what they have and they abuse it and 2) because something that is intented to be a 'temporal' help it become a 'permanent' thing and who knows, the person that really needs it do not get it.

Going back to the subject, I think only Heavenly Father knows our situation, therefore, he's the only one who can judge whether the sisters are working to pay off 'luxuries'or to pay basic living. More and more families in this world are lead by one parent only, most of them, are women and they have no choice but to work outside to maintain their children.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Sisters Working?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,