Sister's Hair Styles

Sister' S Hair Styles - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Dec, 2004 - 4:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Long, short, or shaven, does it matter?
29th Dec, 2004 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles

In a couple of threads we discussed facial hair for men, but what about the hair styles of Sisters? Does it matter? Is there a norm? I notice that the wives of the GAs tend to have short and/or above shoulder cuts, is there a reason for that? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
29th Dec, 2004 - 2:09am / Post ID: #

Styles Hair Sisters

JB asked:

I notice that the wifves of the GAs tend to have short and/or above shoulder cuts, is there a reason for that?
In my opinion, it's merely a style that "older" women often take on, not just sisters in the Church. It's supposed to make us look younger smile.gif

I cut my hair last March from waist-length (like my picture) to *very* short, and I donated the long hair to a children's charity that makes wigs for kids undergoing chemotherapy. I figure, mine will grow back; theirs may not.

As far as the Church having a specific guideline for women? don't think so. But I've certainly never seen any sister with green or purple hair, or with a shaved head. ;D

Roz

29th Dec, 2004 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles Studies Doctrine Mormon

I notice that the wifves of the GAs tend to have short and/or above shoulder cuts, is there a reason for that? What are your thoughts?

I suppose long hair is consider more for young women, that's why mature women tend to cut it short, it looks better that way too. I have seen women in their 60's and 70's with long hair and it doesn't look good to me.

I don't think the Church has any specific guidance for hair styles, the women in the Church will die if they do! laugh.gif I have seen LDS punk teenagers before with hair colors of different types every sunday, of course, they're the exception wink.gif

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2004 - 4:49am / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles
A Friend

Styles Hair Sisters

I think the wives of the GA may have short hair is because it is easier and quicker to care for. The older you get, the shorter your hair gets I have observed. There are a couple of women in our branch who are in their 70's and have hair to their waists, BUT their hair is braided and coiled around their heads, or done in a figure 8.

When I was in my teens to thirty's I wore my hair long, and I preferred in many layers. Then my shoulders started bothering me, and I got headaches from the weight of my hair, so I cut it short. I am in my 50's now and my hair is super short! The easier to take care of, & no more headaches!!!

In my sister's ward in Washington state, there is a young couple there that have super black hair, and for church they take out their body piercings and wear long sleeves to cover their tattoo's. They both wear black, but the wife does wear really bright bangly jewelry and scarves and hose. I wonder if they will continue to wear their body piercings after they have children? Can't you just see a baby yanking out all those face, tongue, nose rings and things???

29th Dec, 2004 - 11:36am / Post ID: #

Styles Hair Sisters

As far as the Church having a specific guideline for women? don't think so. But I've certainly never seen any sister with green or purple hair, or with a shaved head. ;D

Yes, but supposed a Sister came to Church with flaming red hair with yellow streaks or the RS president decided to shave her hair bald, then would that cause a problem? Think of these Sisters having to teach or give a talk. Would it be a distraction? Keep in mind that 'they' say that having facial hair is a distraction so then why wouldn't an even 'louder' statement of hair not be in the same category?

29th Dec, 2004 - 2:22pm / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles

Yes, but supposed a Sister came to Church with flaming red hair with yellow streaks or the RS president decided to shave her hair bald, then would that cause a problem?
We are such a conservative church, I'm sure it would. Although with the new wave of "new age" younger folk, and with converts... you never can tell. Yes, it would be distracting, for me and I'm sure for others.

I can see the bishop running down the hallway to catch the RS prez before she stands up in front of the Sisters....

AGene said:
I wonder if they will continue to wear their body piercings after they have children? Can't you just see a baby yanking out all those face, tongue, nose rings and things???
I see this all the time in our town. When I take my daughter to the park, or at the grocery store, these young women with all the piercings, and a baby on their hip. It's the nose, lip, and tongue earrings in danger, I think -- you can't say "hi" without that tongue earring showing. If it's fascinating to us as adults, think how the baby sees it smile.gif I didn't wear regular "ear" earrings for a couple of years when my babies were small -- why risk it?

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Dec, 2004 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles

If the Church has a standard for how women should wear or keep their hair, they have done a good job of keeping it secret! Not once have I heard any discussion of how one's hair should be worn. I have heard discussions about modest dress.

Yes, if the RS president shaved her head, it would cause quite a stir! When I was in the RS presidency and showed up at enrichment night on my motorcycle, that caused a stir, too! I think people need to get passed it.

The current RS President told me how impressed she was when she first moved to our Ward that I rode a motorcycle, yet was obviously living my life in accordance with the gospel enough to be in the RS presidency. If I had not been in that presidency, would she have made a differently, less flattering, judgment of me and my character? Quite possibly. I know when I am riding and stop at McDonalds with others also on "bikes" we get a lot of looks, not all friendly. Especially by the older crowd. We need to stop judging people by how they look and judge them more by how they act.

As far as facial hair being a distraction, that bothers me too! I can understand not having body peircings or tatoos because that is physically marring the body we have been given in an unnatural way, but facial hair on men and hair on women's heads is a natural occurance.

I know it comes from the first presidency, but it is born of culture not scripture. It is a result of the age of the men making the decisions not a result of reading the scriptures, in my opinion. Have you not noticed that the majority of prophets of old had beards? We have pictures of all our modern day prophets - the majority before the mid-1900's sporting full facial hair and then tell our men they should be clean shaven!

I strongly disagree with this. I do think we should be dressed in our best when we attend Sacrament on Sunday out of respect and reverence for the Lord, but I doubt he cares how I or any man wears their hair.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 29th Dec, 2004 - 3:46pm

29th Dec, 2004 - 4:38pm / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles Mormon Doctrine Studies

Tenaheff if I were a betting man I would be rich now wink.gif However, for the topic on the facial hair please leave that for the thread called, 'Shaved or Bearded'. I will however mention that the Lord did give many referrences concerning grooming for the man and styles for the woman in the Bible. I can list those in the other thread located here.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Sister's Hair Styles

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,