Sister's Hair Styles - Page 2 of 3

LDS, I was just wanting to post these scriptures! - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Oct, 2009 - 3:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Long, short, or shaven, does it matter?
29th Dec, 2004 - 7:27pm / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles - Page 2

Here are some scriptures about hair:

international QUOTE
"Does not nature itself teach you that for a man to wear long hair is degrading to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her pride?"
(1 Corinthians 11:14-15 RSV)

international QUOTE
"Any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head - it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil."
(1 Corinthians 11:5-6 RSV)

Sponsored Links:
29th Dec, 2004 - 7:32pm / Post ID: #

Styles Hair Sisters

The quote LDS provides is why Catholic women used to be required to wear hats to church. They no longer are. It used to be considered a "sin" to go to church without something covering a woman's head. I do not believe we have ever required this in the LDS church though. Of course, I would ask if this is Paul's personal opinion or from the Lord. Paul also said no woman should speak in church and that it was better for a man to remain unmarried if he could control his physical urges.

6th Sep, 2009 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JB @ 29-Dec 03, 1:36 AM)
I notice that the wives of the GAs tend to have short and/or above shoulder cuts, is there a reason for that?

Yes, they're OLD! Lets face it older women dont look good with long hair you know what am I saying? Long hair is associate with youth. For me it doesnt matter at all how the hair of a person is they can have it purple and I aint bother about it.

6th Sep, 2009 - 8:29am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Styles Hair Sisters

I know that Sister Missionaries are required to have their hair no shorter, or longer, than shoulder length and have a hair style that is easy to manage. I don't know if this is the same rule for the GA's wives, but I"ve never seen one with long hair.

Post Date: 7th Sep, 2009 - 5:33am / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles
A Friend

Styles Hair Sisters

I think the womens styles are more about being well groomed, taking care of yourself and being presentable. The church leaders have encouraged women of the church on many occasions to take pride in how they present themselves. But that is the extent of encouragement I have seen in relation to personal style for women (which includes hair I guess). When "you" are in young womens, if I remember correctly in the for strength of youth pamphlet it talks about being well groom and something along the lines of not getting outrageous attention seeking hair styles and cuts. Also, I remember in a general conference talk this last year there was a talk about how "we" are trying to hard to be individuals and that instead of focusing on that, it is more important to look nice and to keep in mind you are representing the church (that can be applied to being too flashy or too homely). As far as specific styles go though, I don't think women should do their hair one way and "oh this is the way lds women should look," that type of mentality makes me uneasy. I think it is about making do with what you have personally and trying to look polished and put together.

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2009 - 2:02am / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles

Name: Christian

Comments: I don't think hair styles should be decided. Hair styles are morally neutral. It's such a trivial thing.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Sep, 2009 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles - Page 2

QUOTE (haleray @ 6-Sep 09, 8:29 AM)
I don't know if this is the same rule for the GA's wives, but I"ve never seen one with long hair.

Rule? Since when GA's wives have rules?...but what the heck? Thats a new one to me please provide me with some more info on this thanks.

Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2009 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Sister's Hair Styles
A Friend

Sister's Hair Styles Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

LDS, I was just wanting to post these scriptures!

funbikerchick: about Pauls opinions, this is where the JST comes most useful. For example, Paul didn't really say women shouldn't speak, but rather that women shouldn't rule in church, which is in perfect Gospel accordance.

About the quote from Paul, I do belief that women should wear their hair long. (I know I'll probably get in trouble for this with quite a few wome). Not because I like it better (which I actually do), but because I consider it more correct. If you read the whole chapter that LDS quoted about the veil and the hair (JST), I think it does come out neatly that the "veil" and "covering" referred to is the hair. A womans hair is given her for a "covering", and is glory to God. Thus cutting it (short), is cutting the glory of God. The question then is, should cutting be allowed at all, or just to a certain length, or what? Amish take it to disallow all cutting of the female hair, based on this scripture. I personally don't go that far, seeing I also cut my beard though I do grow it. I do not condemn any woman for short hair, though I find long hair more pleasing, and the girls in my family all have long hair and should have long hair. I think that's where revelation again has to come in, and your personal faith. I understand it that men should have short hair, and women should have long hair. I do know that God was once mentioned to have shoulder length hair, so yes, the men having short hair may very well be a cultural thing. About women and long hair, that's in the scriptures in the NT. It used to be that all women had long hair, until the 20s when women starting cutting it short as a sort of "rebellion" against the men. Now it became stylish to cut it short. To have short things seems to be a general trend in fashion (short skirts, mini-bikinis, etc.).

As I said, I think hair is the glory of the woman, and she glorifies God by growing it out long. I feel women should do this.

(please note the "I feel" etc., I'm mentioning my personal interpretation of the scriptural evidence, not to dictate doctrine to anyone. So if you have short hair, please don't feel offended in your faith by me. This is in no way my intention!)

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Sister's Hair Styles

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,