Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning

- Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 5th May, 2015 - 11:42pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 7 31 84 Why Join Help Register/Login via:Register/Login via:
Welcome Guest

Autism In Trinidad
Post Date: 1st Mar, 2011 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 36,823
Avg: 8.2 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 5,497.55 FP
Charm: 330

After attending a recent meeting at the ASTT and hearing some of the participants I came to realize that many do not understand the differences between High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning Autism and will leave this Thread open to explain each. We have a Thread like this in the Psychology Board but wanted to address this issue as it refers to Trinis interpretation of what High Functioning Autism and Low Functioning Autism are in Trinidad & Tobago.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 1st Mar, 2011 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 17,348
Avg: 3.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 97.1%
[+] Gain: 990.51 FP
Charm: 334

Functioning Autism Functioning High Trinidad

There are many definitions. Let's keep in mind that the term "High Functioning" is not yet recognized as a formal diagnosis but used informally. Basically, high functioning is term used to describe a person who is within the autism spectrum, is verbal and has an IQ within the normal range.

Low functioning by the other side are those who are more severely affected by autism, are usually non-verbal and not engaged.

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2011 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Anna

Comments: I am sorry you had to be part of this meeting to hear some of the comments, it was indeed a sad day to experience this and very unfortunate.There are many people who the society at heart, but unable to get the kind of support is needed. Many are asking for more training but does it make sense to continue to train people who don't have the special quality to really work with a child with special needs and pre judge their abilities.

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2011 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

Member Senior
[?] CPosts: 541
Avg: 0.2 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 5.1%
[+] Gain: 382.21 FP
Charm: 11

Attached Image QUOTE
Many are asking for more training but does it make sense to continue to train people who don't have the special quality to really work with a child with special needs and pre judge their abilities.

Hi Anna, what do you mean by people who really don't have a special quality to work with children with special needs? You mean they are not qualified? I agree that those who oversee children with autism should be professionals with a college degree in the field but I think maybe the issue (after reading some threads) is that there is not enough funding so basically the volunteers are just helping out.

Also, I wanted to add that just because a child may be high functioning in one area doesn't mean they're high functioning in all.

Post Date: 30th Mar, 2015 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle

Reema Carmona, wife of the President of Trinidad and Tobago is calling on the corporate world to begin employing autistic persons and persons with Down Syndrome among other differently abled persons.

Her family went to a vacation to the Bahamas, but she wanted to light the trees with blue lights before they depart for their holiday.

I know she has the best of intentions, as well as many other organizations who choose to light trees or buildings in blue as part of their campaign of awareness but as a parent of three children under the autism spectrum, we need to move beyond awareness or is it that we plan to do this every single year? We need ACTION.

Post Date: 5th May, 2015 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle

After reading my Open Letter to the PM, a blog follower left this quote from the Prime Minister in 2014.

One of my blog readers left this quote from the Prime Minister:

Attached Image QUOTE (Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar – World Autism Day 2014)
"The effects of ASDs are not restricted to any particular race, colour or class of people. In fact, from my own experiences with autism, I must emphasise the importance of early detection. With the right care, individuals affected by ASDs can lead a full and prosperous life.

My government is determined to introduce sustainable and comprehensive policies and programmes to benefit persons with autism as well as other disabilities. The time for full inclusion is now; no disability of any kind should be allowed to bar a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago from that which our anthem boasts, an equal place in society".

Guest please SHARE: "Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning" on:

Sponsored Links:

To go deeper into this Topic ensure to Search unique terms for: Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2018
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits

T&T Latest

Current Trinidad & Tobago related Discussion from our Community:

Highlights

Wearing Camouflage Colors In Trinidad & Tobago: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By Westmoorings 1 Week Ago
Violent Crime In Trinidad & Tobago: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 30th Apr, 2018 - 2:09pm
Trinidad & Tobago's Crime Problem: Open Discussion on the crime situation in T&T By JoePublic 18th Apr, 2018 - 8:45pm
Terrorism In Trinidad & Tobago: Are groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda working in T&T? By News 9th Feb, 2018 - 10:33pm
Trinidad & Tobago Inflation At 10%: Do Trinis understand economics or they do not care? By JoePublic 23rd Nov, 2017 - 10:16am
Trinidad & Tobago Taxation - Tax - Taxes: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 16th Nov, 2017 - 3:50pm
How Good is Trinidad & Tobago to Live?: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 6th Nov, 2017 - 1:47pm
Kidnappings in Trinidad: At one time kidnappings for ransom happened almost daily. Its not the case anymore, why? By Extra! 29th Jun, 2017 - 1:43pm
Trinidad State Of Emergency In Crime Hot Spots: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 27th Apr, 2017 - 10:49pm
Sexual Harassment in Trinidad & Tobago: The way our women are harassed is deplorable, there is no respect for women in T&T! By JoePublic 24th Feb, 2017 - 11:12am
Why Is Trinidad Considered A Third World Country?: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By JoePublic 21st Jan, 2017 - 8:56pm
Mental Health In Trinidad: What are your thoughts on this T&T related subject? By Felipe 28th Aug, 2016 - 2:17pm