Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning

- Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 5th May, 2015 - 11:42pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Autism In Trinidad
1st Mar, 2011 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

After attending a recent meeting at the ASTT and hearing some of the participants I came to realize that many do not understand the differences between High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning Autism and will leave this Thread open to explain each. We have a Thread like this in the Psychology Board but wanted to address this issue as it refers to Trinis interpretation of what High Functioning Autism and Low Functioning Autism are in Trinidad & Tobago.

Sponsored Links:
1st Mar, 2011 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Functioning Autism Functioning High Trinidad

There are many definitions. Let's keep in mind that the term "High Functioning" is not yet recognized as a formal diagnosis but used informally. Basically, high functioning is term used to describe a person who is within the autism spectrum, is verbal and has an IQ within the normal range.

Low functioning by the other side are those who are more severely affected by autism, are usually non-verbal and not engaged.

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2011 - 12:11am / Post ID: #

Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Name: Anna

Comments: I am sorry you had to be part of this meeting to hear some of the comments, it was indeed a sad day to experience this and very unfortunate.There are many people who the society at heart, but unable to get the kind of support is needed. Many are asking for more training but does it make sense to continue to train people who don't have the special quality to really work with a child with special needs and pre judge their abilities.

2nd Mar, 2011 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

international QUOTE
Many are asking for more training but does it make sense to continue to train people who don't have the special quality to really work with a child with special needs and pre judge their abilities.

Hi Anna, what do you mean by people who really don't have a special quality to work with children with special needs? You mean they are not qualified? I agree that those who oversee children with autism should be professionals with a college degree in the field but I think maybe the issue (after reading some threads) is that there is not enough funding so basically the volunteers are just helping out.

Also, I wanted to add that just because a child may be high functioning in one area doesn't mean they're high functioning in all.

30th Mar, 2015 - 1:01pm / Post ID: #

Reema Carmona, wife of the President of Trinidad and Tobago is calling on the corporate world to begin employing autistic persons and persons with Down Syndrome among other differently abled persons.

Her family went to a vacation to the Bahamas, but she wanted to light the trees with blue lights before they depart for their holiday.

I know she has the best of intentions, as well as many other organizations who choose to light trees or buildings in blue as part of their campaign of awareness but as a parent of three children under the autism spectrum, we need to move beyond awareness or is it that we plan to do this every single year? We need ACTION.

5th May, 2015 - 11:42pm / Post ID: #

After reading my Open Letter to the PM, a blog follower left this quote from the Prime Minister in 2014.

One of my blog readers left this quote from the Prime Minister:

international QUOTE (Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar – World Autism Day 2014)
"The effects of ASDs are not restricted to any particular race, colour or class of people. In fact, from my own experiences with autism, I must emphasise the importance of early detection. With the right care, individuals affected by ASDs can lead a full and prosperous life.

My government is determined to introduce sustainable and comprehensive policies and programmes to benefit persons with autism as well as other disabilities. The time for full inclusion is now; no disability of any kind should be allowed to bar a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago from that which our anthem boasts, an equal place in society".

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Trinidad High Functioning Autism / Low Functioning

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,