Trinidad Crime Safety - Your Car
What are some of the things you do to guard your car at home or at the mall against crime in Trinidad or Tobago?
First of all I make sure I don't go to Trincity Mall because it's very unsafe and they stole my car once there so....
The second thing I try to park it near the actual mall and not in a far away spot.
Trinicity Mall is "infamous" for thieves who steal cars in the parking lot. I never go there, I usually go to West Mall and I never had a problem. People need to remember not to leave anything valuable or flashy inside the cars.
I think is unfair to stereotype Trincity mall like that. The issue here is that cars aren't safe anywhere in Trinidad. A friend of mine was stabbed as he tried to enter his own house, he didn't resist and they stole his car anyway. He's fine now but still nobody was caught.
Some of my own tips:
1. Never leave your car unattended with the keys in it.
2. Make sure to have a proper alarm system.
3. Choose where you park (not isolated spots)
4. Avoid leaving any valuables in the car.
5. Watch out your surroundings.
Great ideas Mucurapo! Let's continue the list, I thought of a few:
6. Use a steering wheel lock
7. Use your emergency break
8. If you have a big and scary dog, leave him inside your car while you run errands (make sure to leave whatever is necessary for your dog to be comfortable).
I think it goes without saying that with modern facilities like GPS and other tracking services that you should have this installed in your car regardless to its age because they stealing both new and old cars thee days.