Trinidad Crime Safety - Your Children
What are some of the things you do to guard your children against crime in Trinidad or Tobago?
Comments: I don't let my children travel by themselves. I drop them to school and pick them up from school. I see very young children age five taking a maxi or taxi on their own and my prayers go with them.
I see young children all over the place unattended. Trinis are of the mind that "Someone will watch them" And "Nothing bad will happen to my child". Sometimes they are as young as 2-3 years old and you don't see anyone watching them. Even when they are 'around' their parent you see the children balancing by the edge of the road or playing in the street - dangerous practices especially considering how Trinis drive recklessly.
Children traveling by themselves maybe out of necessity. Unfortunately there are so many single mothers in the country and they have to work and take care of other children at the same time. Knowing this, many of the citizens will have to be vigilant in watch guarding these children in public areas because at the end of the day it is not the children's fault and they should not become easy prey for criminals.
As for us as far as watching children:
* We do not allow strangers to watch our children
* We do not allow our children to participate in activities or places that may injure them
* We are always watching our children within sight and ear shot
* We do not assume where our children are or what they might be doing
* We do not allow strangers to give food or anything that might be suspicious