California Public Schools May Receive Bibles

California Public Schools Receive Bibles - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 9th Jan, 2004 - 5:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2004 - 7:23am / Post ID: #

A Friend

In California they are trying to amend the state constitution to allow public schools to have Bibles in the classrooms. They say that this is for literature purposes. However, every child unless their parents say otherwise will be given a Bible. To me this seems as a complete mixture of church and state. There is supposed to be a margin between the two, not a connector between them. I understand the concept of wanting the Bible as a source of literature. However, if this is done other religious groups should have their teachings or writings studied as well. You cannot say that one religion is literature and anyother religion is just worship.

In all reality though, while the Bible may be written works, I would never consider it a masterpiece in the literature world. The writing is not of the original writers, but of King James and how he wanted to interpret it.

My thoughts. What are yours?

Sponsored Links:
9th Jan, 2004 - 5:10pm / Post ID: #

Bibles Receive Schools Public California

I actually took a college course at a State College on a Literary Approach to the Bible. It was an excellent course. There is in fact a lot of good literary stuff in the Bible. You just need to look for it. The vast majority of it is found in the Old Testament. In the course, absolutely no discussion of religious views or beliefs was allowed. I loved this course, it was great. I see nothing wrong with it. The Bible is the oldest book still in print so why not study it from a literary viewpoint. We did not use the King James version in my class. We used a study bible, I think it was Harpers, and it contained books from the Catholic Bible which are not found in Protestant bilbles as well.

This really can be done and if done well, it is very interesting. We had members of several different religions in the class and even had a Jewish Cantor come to class one day. After all, the Old Testament is Jewish Scripture.

> TOPIC: California Public Schools May Receive Bibles

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,