Odd News From Around The World

Odd News World - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 21st Jan, 2004 - 2:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »
10th Jan, 2004 - 3:33pm / Post ID: #

'Honey, Feel Like Saving a Little Water?'
Fri January 9, 2004 10:33 AM ET

MANILA (Reuters) - Couples in the Philippine capital have been asked to start sharing the tub at bath time as part of a conservation drive.
"Start sharing baths with your partner to conserve water," the environment department advised the parched capital's 12 million residents.

Link to the story...

Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 10th Jan, 2004 - 3:35pm

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Jan, 2004 - 8:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

World The From News Odd

After living in a house on 5 acres with my own well that went nearly dry every Oct to Dec. I think I am pretty adept at conserving water. Taking a bath is a real luxery. That is the equivalent to at least 3, 10 minute showers! Usually I had to take a 'spit' bath for 6 days and then a shower on the 7th. 'Spit' means fill the sink with water and wash from head to toe.(I used a bowl rather than the sink so I could save the water to flush the toilet with. To wash my hair I used 1 quart of water. Use about 1 cup to get your hair wet, save this water in a bowl, then soap up your hair, scrub good. Then take a hand towel and dry the soap out. Yep, dry it out. Now take the saved water, pour back into the pitcher of water, use the pitcher of water to rinse hair. Save this water in a large container to flush the toilet with. Dry hair with a clean towel. I lived in this house for 8 years and never thought it was that much of a hardship. I hauled water in for drinking and cooking, THAT was hard. 5 gallons of water weighs a LOT!!

11th Jan, 2004 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

Odd News From Around The World History & Civil Business Politics

Wow, Agene, you really had to do things the hard way! I know someone who went through a similar experience -- 4 kids, single mom, living in a trailer on several acres with a stream, but with no indoor plumbing. I can't remember now how many years it was, but she worked really hard and managed to build a home and a well with a solar pump. She's still very water conscious and uses probably 1/3 or less than what us "normal" westerners use.

We are so spoiled.
(imo)
Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 12th Jan, 2004 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

A Friend

World The From News Odd

I was raised in Seattle Washington, with more than enough water. I did have 6 brothers and sisters, so by the time I got the bathtub the water was lukewarm! And I had to have the little kids in the tub with me. Two little sisters and my little brother. But if I got them washed and done, then I could have the tub to myself for as long as I could tolerate the cooling water. We watered the yard in the summer too. Along with anyone and everything else that was with-in garden hose distance laugh.gif. I don't mind conserving water, electricity, food, etc.

Considering how I was raised and then experiencing the frozen water lines, frozen propane lines, dry wells, days long power outages, washed out roads so that I am stuck at home. I just never felt any of it was that much of a hardship. More like it was a challenge. I had a creek where I could fill the garbage cans with creek water so I could flush the toilet, and I could boil and filter the water to clean and cook with.

But the experiences I have had when there was no water, electricity, or heat has really strengthened me. I know how to make do, and how to substitute things. I keep my heat turned to 65 degrees and put on a sweater or light jacket and wear extra socks. Took me years to be able to get a fire going with out using the entire evening paper!!! (it's the ONLY reason I subscribed to the daily paper smile.gif )

12th Jan, 2004 - 8:44pm / Post ID: #

World The From News Odd

Where I live the water goes off quiet often but I always save two big containers for emergencies, I don't think people in general appreciate how important is to have water, we take it for granted. Here in Trinidad there are people who live high on the mountains and they climb every day to bring water to their homes, in buckets!.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

14th Jan, 2004 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

I am such a spoiled rotten person... I've never had to live in such conditions. I do have water stored, because we have water outages here a few times a year. I just refill the containers, add a lil bleach, and wait for the next shut off smile.gif I often wonder why I was not born in a different "age" of time, and I'm thinking now it may be because I couldn't handle the harsh living conditions.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Jan, 2004 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

Odd News From The World

Ole! Man Challenges Lion to Bullfight... and Lives
Tue January 13, 2004 09:06 AM ET
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (Reuters) - An Argentine man leaped into the lion's pen during a weekend visit to the Buenos Aires zoo, challenged one of the animals to a bullfight -- and walked away with just minor cuts and bruises.
"He jumped into the lion's pen, and when the lions didn't react, he took off his jacket and egged them on," said zoo veterinarian Miguel Rivolta. "It was an act of madness."

Television footage showed Quique the lion sitting on top of 22-year-old Lucas Tomas, padding him with his paw and leaving only superficial injuries to his head, arm and chest, doctors said.

Quique was sedated with a tranquilizer dart. The would-be matador was being examined by a psychiatrist.

Link to story...

21st Jan, 2004 - 2:23pm / Post ID: #

Odd News From The World Politics Business Civil & History

Link to story...
You'll Never Guess Who's Still Alive
Jan 20, 8:54 am ET
LONDON (Reuters) - British war leader Winston Churchill's foul-mouthed 104-year old parrot refused to surrender to newshounds Monday after a British newspaper tracked the bird down and discovered it was still alive.
"They've been trying to get him to talk all day, but he's not saying much," said Sylvia Martin, who manages Heathfield Nurseries where parrot Charlie has lived for the last 12 years.

Charlie, who kept Churchill company during World War II, was famous for occasionally squawking four-letter obscenities about Hitler. But Martin told Reuters the bird has mellowed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 21st Jan, 2004 - 2:25pm

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (6) »

> TOPIC: Odd News From Around The World

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,