Madame X

Madame X - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 27th May, 2005 - 4:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Madame Pierre Gautreau by the American painter, John Singer Sargent
Post Date: 17th Jan, 2004 - 1:21am / Post ID: #

Madame X

Madame Pierre Gautreau by the American painter, John Singer Sargent.

The Architech once told me the following story:

"The first time I saw this painting I was looking at an encyclopedia around the age of 12 and was captivated by it. By the way, for those you who do not know, my first talent is in Art. Unfortunately I have not developed it for many years. However, I am straying..."

user posted image

The history of the paintng...

Virginie Avegno (1859-1915) was born in Louisiana, the daughter of Major Anatole Avegno of New Orleans, a gentleman whose family had emigrated from Camogli, Italy, and Marie Virginie de Ternant of Parlange Plantation, Louisiana. After Major Avegno died of wounds suffered at the Battle of Shiloh, Mrs. Avegno took her daughters to Paris. There Virginie became a celebrated beauty and married Pierre Gautreau, a Parisian banker. Sargent probably met her in 1881. In 1882, he wrote of wanting to paint her portrait. He worked on the portrait at the Gautreau's summer home in Brittany in 1883, but he had difficulty finding a suitable pose and perspective. Numerous studies show his different attempts at the composition. The portrait as finally executed was exhibited at the Paris Salon of 1884 as "Portrait de Mme ***" and created a scandal. Sargent considered it one of his best works; an unfinished second version of the same pose is in the Tate Gallery in London.

Ref. https://www.metmuseum.org/collections/view1...&item=16%2E53#a

What are your thoughts on its look, appeal and gestures?

Sponsored Links:
27th May, 2005 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

X Madame

It doesn't really appeal to me. Maybe even at the time it was painted due to the fact that modesty was big and to show one in such a manner would have provoked outrage ....but she looks slightly twisted, almost an awkward pose. I do like the way he painted the lights and darks evident in the dress and also her skin tones.

> TOPIC: Madame X

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,