Cuba Becoming Religious?

Cuba Religious - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 7th Jan, 2005 - 10:47am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Castro's Last Stand?
26th Jan, 2004 - 5:04am / Post ID: #

Cuba Becoming Religious?

Recently Castro gave the key to an orthodox priest for a cathedral built by the Cuban government for the limited number of Cuban Christians that lived in Cuba. Many are wondering why Castro would do this.

Now I could have posted this in the religious section, but my purpose in having it here is to discuss the current 'stand' of Cuba from a political perspective. Is Castro turning to religion as a means to 'make a point'? The priest in his gratitude speech did mention the 'evil' of the US in causing so much isolations in Cuba. However...

Is Cuba better off under Castro?
Is Castro just a shameless dictator, or does he really care about Cuba?

Sponsored Links:
28th Jan, 2004 - 9:12pm / Post ID: #

Religious Cuba

I don't believe or support dictators and I think Mr. Castro is one. Therefore I think Cuba doesn't necesarily means will be better without Castro BUT it would be nice if the people in Cuba could choose freely which President they want. wink.gif

28th Jan, 2004 - 9:52pm / Post ID: #

Cuba Becoming Religious? Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Is Cuba better off under Castro?
Is Castro just a shameless dictator, or does he really care about Cuba?

I think eventually they would be better off in a freer society. I believe that a free economy works better than a false economy. I mean a society run by supply and demand rather than something being set by the government. Initially, though there would be many difficulties as people learned to live under such a big change. Most of these people have never lived in a "free" economic society. Russia is an example of a society that has gone through this and to some extent still is.

I believe Castro is a shameless dictator, but I also believe in his own twisted way he cares about Cuba. I think most true communists believe in what they are doing, however, I don't think it works because it is never really fully fair. If it were, everyone would have the same. Isn't that supposed to be the theory? Yet, the leaders have wealth. Unfortunately, it leads to abuse and corruption and there are no checks and balances to stop the abuse when it happens.

8th Nov, 2004 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Religious Cuba

In what seems to be a 180 degree turn, Castro has totally eradicated the exchange for US dollars in his country with a further 10% levy on those still wanting to exchange dollars. In this action he hopes that it would fight against sanctions the US has put over Cuba. Do you think this was being 'childish' or the best move for his country?

9th Nov, 2004 - 9:44pm / Post ID: #

Religious Cuba

Well, I think this is going to hurt the poor of his country who are receiving financial aid in terms of US dollars from their relatives in the States. However, he probably should have done this long ago from a purely political view. It seems to me, by allowing his people to rely on US dollars, he is, in effect, admitting that his system of government on its own doesn't work. In addition, this seems to serve the purpose of making people dream more of the "riches to be found in the US." This would make them more likely to attempt to leave Cuba for the US.

9th Nov, 2004 - 11:43pm / Post ID: #

Cuba Becoming Religious?

Do you think this was being 'childish' or the best move for his country?

I don't think it was 'childish', I think the guy really do things based on what he believes, he was very upset because of the declarations of the US about his accident (If that statement is true, I think the US government in this case behaved very childish) anyhow, I do agree that this move is going to affect even more his own people, although since the US is NOT helping Cuba and Cuba have survived during all these years without them, then there is not reason for a major economic crisis.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Jan, 2005 - 7:54am / Post ID: #

Cuba Religious

Is Cuba better off? Well I believe that prior to Cuba going Communist, it was one of the top overseas destination for Americans (Cuba and Lebanon). Could Cuba have had a rich life as a tourist destination? With the beaches and potential industries on the island, it quite possibly could have done very well.

Castro is truly a dictator. The fortunate thing for Cubans is that he appears to be winding down his existence with us on this planet. People seem to get religion much easier towards the end of their life. I dont think his embrace of religion is a 180 more than fear of what comes next for him.

Interestingly enough, he doesnt seem to have a strong successor in the wings. THis could be good or bad. People I have met from Cuba are anxious for a change to Democracy, but are waiting for Castro to pass. The only thing that might stop this would be a military take-over of the government, should Castro pass away.

Vincenzo

Post Date: 7th Jan, 2005 - 10:47am / Post ID: #

Cuba Becoming Religious?
A Friend

Cuba Religious Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

I believe this religious turn has little to do with politics. The man is getting older and people tend to become religious when that happen. Is a know fact, not a supposition. Please forgive my rudeness but this is my opinion.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Cuba Becoming Religious?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,