Selling Your Children?

Selling Children - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Feb, 2004 - 2:32pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

1st Feb, 2004 - 11:35pm / Post ID: #

Selling Your Children?

I was given a situation that made me think to throw out this question for anyone that feels they would like to answer it:

Would selling your children be okay if you cannot 'handle' it and need the money?What would be Church membership consequences, if any?

Now, here is a given situation, a woman has a child, she cannot take of the child as she has no husband, she meets a couple that seems to be caring and wanting to provide a better home for the child. As a test as well as a way to get money to feed herself she does an exchange of child for cash (for whatever quantity of money). Now can this be considered a 'sin'? Under what grounds? Can her membership be in jepordy? Under what grounds?

Sponsored Links:
2nd Feb, 2004 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

Children Selling

I think it depends. Are we speaking of selling the child at birth or when they are older. It is a big difference. Once a child knows it's family, it would be greatly tramatized by being sold to someone else. I think because of that it shouldn't be allowed. You are hurting an innocent child.

Now, if at birth. This is something entirely different, in my view. Women are already compensated for being surrogate mothers. Isn't this the same thing?

Adoptive parents also currently pay high prices to adopt a child. So, rather than pay the adoption agency thousands of dollars, why not pay the birth mother instead. Maybe this would help eliminate some of the abortions that currently are taking place.

The danger to allowing a direct sale where the mother is actually compensated more than just her medical and living expenses during the pregnancy is that this could become a business and be abused. However, I don't like outlawing something because it might be abused. I say deal with the abuse.

As far as losing membership for this, what would the "charge" be?

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 2nd Feb, 2004 - 4:45pm

4th Feb, 2004 - 7:35pm / Post ID: #

Selling Your Children? Studies Doctrine Mormon

First of all, if a woman knows she cannot afford to get pregnant then she needs to do something in order to not get pregnant!. Secondly, if a woman cannot afford to maintain her child and she decides to give it up to someone else and she needs help with her medical bills and stuff, I understand BUT if she accepts money for the only purpose of giving up the child, I think is a horrible sin and crime, to sell your own blood, to sell a living soul! oh my gosh! just thinking about it makes me sick! because I could understand that a mother have to give up her child but I cannot understand someone who could accept money for doing it.

In my opinion if it happens in the Church, the member should be excommunicated. Under what grounds? simply they're breaking the laws of the land. Slavery or the selling of people is against the law.

4th Feb, 2004 - 8:01pm / Post ID: #

Children Selling

In my opinion if it happens in the Church, the member should be excommunicated. Under what grounds? simply they're breaking the laws of the land. Slavery or the selling of people is against the law.

Yes, but what if it weren't against the law? People currently make good money in the baby business. It just isn't the women. The adoption agencies charge very large fees.

5th Feb, 2004 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Children Selling

Not every mother in hard circumstances got that way by choice, or by negligence. I can certainly understand the draw of money for some people. But I do not agree with selling children. I know it happens, I know it's "normal" in the US for adoptions, but I think it's kind of sick.

I worked three jobs when my daughter was a baby just to make ends meet. It was hard for both of us, but I did it. Just because I have no husband doesn't make me handicapped or incapable of work. No, we're not rich, and yes, we do go without a lot of luxuries, but we have shelter, food, heat, and clothing (and the 'net smile.gif ).

Now, as far as other countries go, I understand it's more difficult circumstances for women and I can't speak for them. I think the Lord and the Church would have to take each case individually.

IMO
Roz

> TOPIC: Selling Your Children?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,