Significance Of Dedicating Statues?

Significance Dedicating Statues - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Oct, 2009 - 4:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
5th Feb, 2004 - 10:55am / Post ID: #

It is obvious that we dedicate special buildings like Chapels and Temples to the work of the Lord, but what is the significance of dedicating a statue?

international QUOTE
NEW STATUE OF JOSEPH AND HYRUM SMITH IN PLACE
See Source 6

A sculpture commemorating Joseph and Hyrum Smith's journey to Carthage
Jail in 1844 has been placed just west of the Nauvoo Temple and will be
dedicated when warmer weather arrives. The bronze-cast project was crafted
by artists Stan Watts and Kim Copeny and was commissioned anonymously by
several persons as a gift. The piece is 12 feet high and 10 feet long from
front to back, and weighs 4,000 pounds.

Sponsored Links:
5th Feb, 2004 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Statues Dedicating Significance

I wonder if this dedication is more of a secular dedication than a religious one. The secular community also holds dedication ceremonies for statues and buildings, etc. It is more just a celebration of the completion of whatever is being dedicated than anything else in those situations.

6th Feb, 2004 - 2:26pm / Post ID: #

Significance Of Dedicating Statues? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I agree. Schools, stores, bridges, commercial buildings -- a lot of secular structures are "dedicated". You know, now that I thinka bout it, I've never actually been to a dedication of that type... I wonder what they dedicate those things "to"??

Roz

6th Feb, 2004 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

I don't think they actually dedicated them "to" anyone. Usually is it just a ceremony where they officially open the building or display the statue. There are often speeches about the person who did the statue and the person of whom the statue represents or some speech about how great the new building is, etc. Really just a celebration of the opening of whatever is being dedicated.

7th Oct, 2009 - 2:15pm / Post ID: #

Why as latter day saints we create statues?

international QUOTE
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
(Exodus 20:4)

The next verse speaks about worshiping them but this one says not to create them period.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2009 - 12:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

international QUOTE (Liahona)
Why as latter day saints we create statues?

Good question. We should start a thread on that maybe. I wondered about it back when I investigated the church, because there was sooo much statues and pictures of holy things everywhere, which was something that bothered me about the catholic church back when I was still catholic...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2009 - 3:24pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Significance Dedicating Statues

The 10 commandments were replaced when Christ was here by the higher laws. When they were given they were under the lesser priesthood. When everything had to be spelled out and it was the letter of the law. They were used to seeing graven images of their gods and worshiping them. So that law was giving specifically to tell them to stop doing that.

When Christ came he was asked which commandment was te greatest. He said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt 22:36-40)

So he pretty much said, You are big boys and girls now, you need to think a bit for yourselves now and as long as you are doing these 2 commandments then that is what is expected. So if you are making statues and saying they are your God and are worshiping then that is wrong, but if you are not worshiping them, but seeing them as art, that's fine.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2009 - 4:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Significance Dedicating Statues Mormon Doctrine Studies

Ronan, are you suggesting the ten commandments and all other laws have been replaced? That's what your post sounds like.

The words of the Savior suggest otherwise:

international QUOTE (Matthew 5:17)

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill

(1828 Webster: fulfill - to accomplish, to complete to carry into effect. This is different from "doing away with" which Christ specifically said he was not doing)

Also, in Matthew 22 you mention verse 40 but neglect to quote it:
international QUOTE (Matthew 22:40)
"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets"

This shows that Christ did not intend to overwrite all laws and commandments by these two commandments, but rather to show the source and basis for all commandments. If you understand these two commandments, you will understand all the others.

This doesn't show that a prohibition on making statues was lifted.

Reconcile Edited: OldSouth on 8th Oct, 2009 - 5:39pm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Significance Of Dedicating Statues?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,