Comfort Foods

Comfort Foods - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 14th Jun, 2004 - 9:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 8th Feb, 2004 - 4:21am / Post ID: #

Comfort Foods
A Friend

Comfort Foods

When I am stressed, unhappy or even bored I turn to food. Perhaps that is why I am overweight tongue.gif

Homemade bread, stew made from scratch and spiced apple cider is what comforts me when I am sad and wish I had Mom's lap to sit it.

When I am bored I eat popcorn and wash it down with Kool Ade! Add an apple or an orange to that, and I am happy.

When I am stressed I want CHOCOLATE, and lots of it.

What foods comfort you?

Sponsored Links:
8th Feb, 2004 - 6:19am / Post ID: #

Foods Comfort

Things from my childhood that would gross out my sisters smile.gif because we had to eat them so much... tomato soup and crackers, and other nights we had creamed tuna on toast ... those two things, like nothing else, remind me of "home" and "family,' before everyone got married and moved away and had kids. Back when we were happy biggrin.gif

Roz

8th Feb, 2004 - 10:36am / Post ID: #

Comfort Foods Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I am the opposite, when stressed I do not eat much if at all. I posted this in another thread: Eat to live, not live to eat and I try to live by that. My typical day involves one meal and maybe some crackers. I do not eat breakfast.

Post Date: 8th Feb, 2004 - 7:11pm / Post ID: #

Comfort Foods
A Friend

Foods Comfort

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 7-Feb 04, 10:19 PM)
tomato soup and crackers,

Yep! MMmmm good 'ol tomato soup. That is all I wanted when I was sick,only I had to have oyster crackers, they don't get soggy as quick. Put two or three in the bowl and scoop them up with a spoon full of soup.

Hot oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar and drowned in milk. That is what Dad would make on those cold November mornings. Something to stick to your ribs as you set off for a day at school.

Something I realized, is that smells are an integral part of comfort foods. The comfort of homemade bread is its smells as well as the taste! The yeasty smell as it is rising, as well as that rich, mouth watering smell of it baking.

9th Feb, 2004 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

Foods Comfort

Lima Beans and Ham Hocks -- sounds gross, but oh boy, if you use baby lima beans and really "hover" over the stirring, simmering, seasoning... it's awesome.

And Popovers!! Yum!! I think I posted that recipe somewhere on here, those go great with lots of things.

Roz

Post Date: 15th Feb, 2004 - 2:11am / Post ID: #

Comfort Foods
A Friend

Comfort Foods

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 8-Feb 04, 4:45 PM)
Lima Beans and Ham Hocks -- sounds gross it's awesome.

Sounds pretty good to me. Grandma used navy beans. Never had any luck with popovers. They never popped for me. I have a cast iron popover pan now though, maybe I should give it another try.

Split pea soup made with the broth left over from corned beef & cabbage dinner. Add some of the left over corned beef ( if there is any) and any/all of the left over vegetables. Go easy with the carrots as they can make the soup too sweet. I like to add a parsnip too. I like my split pea soup real thick too, so I cook it long at a low heat.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Jun, 2004 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Comfort Foods
A Friend

Comfort Foods

Tomato soup is great. I like to add the little pieces and crumbs from our corn chip bags to mine, plus some garlic when I'm sick (it's a natural antibiotic).

When I'm really bummed I fix mounds of grits with plenty of butter, cheese and onions (and ham, sausage or bacon if I have some). One food I miss from childhood is scrapple. It's hard to find down here in Florida.

PMS and major stress times call for chocolate- and lots of it!

Post Date: 14th Jun, 2004 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Comfort Foods
A Friend

Comfort Foods Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews

QUOTE (fugitive247 @ 14-Jun 04, 8:29 AM)
One food I miss from childhood is scrapple. It's hard to find down here in Florida.

I vaguely remember hearing about scrapple. So I looked it up:

Unless you live in the Middle Atlantic states, you may have never had the dubious pleasure of breakfasting on scrapple - a fried slice of pork-mush. Often erroneously called Philadelphia Scrapple, it's really a dish that originated in the Eastern Pennsylvania farmlands of German born settlers - far from the city of Brotherly Love.

It's dictionary defined as "cornmeal mush made with the meat and broth of pork, seasoned with onions, spices and herbs and shaped into loaves for slicing and frying." The word, scrapple originates from "scrap" or "scrappy" meaning made up of odds and ends for that's exactly what it is - boiled, ground leftover pig scraps with cornmeal and spices thrown in. Scrapple lovers think of it as food for the gods. Anti-scrapplers consider it a culinary abomination.

Scrapple is the unique creation of the Pennsylvania Dutch.

Although edible raw, Scrapple is usually sliced and fried in butter or lard. Served in a deep, placid pool of egg yolk and ketchup, it is a veritable cholesterol meltdown. It is arguably and unfathomably vile.
from https://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

EEEEWWWW~ now I remember, my older sister tried making this. It was the messiest stuff ever. Guess you have to know how to do it. I am most definitely a Pacific North Westener!

From the article I quoted, it is obvious the author doesn't like it ~ how do you like it fixed Fugitive247?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Comfort Foods

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,