Haiti

Haiti - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 1st Mar, 2004 - 10:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (25) »
Art thou Lost?
Post Date: 12th Feb, 2004 - 1:19am / Post ID: #

Haiti

Haiti a lost cause?

Haiti is one of the oldest countries in the Western Hemisphere and yet it cannot seem to get its act together. What is wrong with this country? Right next to it is a Spanish speaking country called, 'Santo Domingo' and although things may seem rough there they do have control and development. What is your view?

ARISTIDE LOYALISTS VOW TO ATTACK REBELS
Armed loyalists of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide set up barricades on Tuesday, vowing to attack rebels leading a bloody uprising that has spread to several small towns and killed at least 42 people.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...42451%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
16th Feb, 2004 - 11:06am / Post ID: #

Haiti

As an update to what Neo added above:

EFFORT TO OUST ARISTIDE INTENSIFIES IN HAITI
Haitian rebels seeking to topple the president brought in reinforcements from the neighboring Dominican Republic, including the exiled former leader of 1980s death squads and a former police chief accused of fomenting a coup, witnesses said Saturday, as police fled two more northern towns.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...43416%2C00.html

I wonder if this isn't a repeat of yesteryear. I can't understand how the President can want to remain in power with his country falling apart like that? He has something to fear? Something to hide?

18th Feb, 2004 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

Haiti Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Haiti

The native Arawak Amerindians - who inhabited the island of Hispaniola when it was discovered by Columbus in 1492 - were virtually annihilated by Spanish settlers within 25 years. In the early 17th century, the French established a presence on Hispaniola, and in 1697, Spain ceded to the French the western third of the island - Haiti. The French colony, based on forestry and sugar-related industries, became one of the wealthiest in the Caribbean, but only through the heavy importation of African slaves and considerable environmental degradation. In the late 18th century, Haiti's nearly half million slaves revolted under Toussaint L'OUVERTURE and after a prolonged struggle, became the first black republic to declare its independence in 1804. Haiti has been plagued by political violence for most of its history since then, and it is now one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere. Over three decades of dictatorship followed by military rule ended in 1990 when Jean-Bertrand ARISTIDE was elected president. Most of his term was usurped by a military takeover, but he was able to return to office in 1994 and oversee the installation of a close associate to the presidency in 1996. ARISTIDE won a second term as president in 2000, and took office early in 2001. However, a political crisis stemming from fraudulent legislative elections in 2000 has not yet been resolved.

Ref. https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ha.html

Post Date: 18th Feb, 2004 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

I've been trying to think about what to say in today's email since yesterday, when we decided to cover Haiti today. I have been to Haiti many times, during the late '80's when it seemed that there was a coup every couple of months, and the last time when U.S. troops went in. Let me be honest here. It's not my favorite place. The people are some of the nicest in the world, and they live under crushing poverty, within sight of the huge mansions up in the hills, mansions owned by some of the people who have been looting the country for decades. It's a country that just doesn't work. And it is also a place of unspeakable violence. In a career of going to bad places at bad times, some of the worst things I have ever seen or experienced have happened in Haiti. I would be the first to admit that I don't understand what has gone wrong.

Ten years ago or so, the U.S. sent troops in to try to restore order. The generals who had taken over, and who had a fair amount of support in this country, were running a brutal regime. Opponents would disappear, their bodies found later and left for the animals, their families kept from recovering them. It was horrible. In a famous scene, a U.S. ship heading for Port-au-Prince turned back when a small mob appeared at the harbor. This was right after Somalia, and this country did not want another military problem. And let's be honest here. What mattered more than the human rights abuses, the poverty, the tragedy, was illegal immigration. Haitians were braving the ocean, and many of them died out there, to try to get to this country. So U.S. troops went in. This was going to be nation-building. But the troops have been gone for years, and the situation has deteriorated again.

Ref. Leroy Sievers and the Nightline Staff
ABCNEWS Washington D.C. bureau

1st Mar, 2004 - 5:56pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

Well after all that 'talk', he finally left... do you think he did so in honor to stop blood shed or disgrace because of fear?

ARISTIDE FLEES HAITI
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide resigned and flew into exile Sunday, pressured by a bloody rebellion and the United States. Gunfire crackled as the capital fell into chaos, and U.S. Marines were sent to the country.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...46017%2C00.html

Post Date: 1st Mar, 2004 - 6:58pm / Post ID: #

Haiti
A Friend

Haiti

this is rich, John Kerry has been bashing Bush for not sending in the troops earlier

https://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/169039p-147637c.html

A Kerry administration would have given the rebels a 48-hour ultimatum to come up with a peaceful agreement - "otherwise, we"re coming in," he said.

"I would intervene with the international community, and absent an international force, I"d do it unilaterally," he said, adding the most important thing was to protect democracy.

So let's see:

Unilateral action when it's a caribbean nation that poses no threat to America.

Subordinate America to the UN when it's a terror-supporting, genocidal Arab dictatorship in a post 9/11 world

Gotcha.

John Kerry=Biggest Tool. Ever

and where have all the hippies gone? how come they're not protesting against this imperialistic invasion by the USA?

level of ownage for liberal hippietards=245% and rising

- Car Key Boi,
owning hippies since HS /

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Mar, 2004 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

Actually this thread is about Haiti and its historical development from early conception to the present rather than how the US reacts to it in the present. There are enough US based threads here already....

Why is Haiti still so unstable after so many centuries?

Post Date: 1st Mar, 2004 - 10:29pm / Post ID: #

Haiti
A Friend

Haiti Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

WELL would that not rip a strip off ya when ya ain't been looking Haiti is in the turmoil of civil unrest the pres they had amounted to a dictator and they got sick of it and like they say a change is as good as a rest. You go back in any of theses country's past and on certain dates there was an uprising its also a very mild form of population control as war with countries major population control
Why is the fighting still in the MIDDLE EAST [100res of years
why is the fighting still in IRELAND [100eds of years
why is the you.S.A. The largest war monger
I think one would have say #1POWER #2GREED These two words are more than likely at the very root of why they be fighting in Haiti.
Now if one wishes to sit down and think about Haiti in a positive way they might even come up with a common denominator and if that was to happen that person would have the answer to STOP all this blood shed no matter where cry.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (25) »

> TOPIC: Haiti

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,