Haiti - Page 3 of 25

You give the US too much credit; I have seen - Page 3 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 24th Jul, 2004 - 2:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (25) »
Art thou Lost?
3rd Mar, 2004 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

Haiti - Page 3

Tenaheff, you are never on my bad side.

Now, how about my other questions? What are your thoughts on them?

Oppss... let me get to those...

Who is "we" and what right do any of us other than the Haitians themselves have to do anything without their request and consent?

You are quoting the ABCNews article and 'we' in there would be from them... I guess they were mentioning the US involvement.

Are you for or against Nation Building?

Well if we are talking about Haiti, then yes, but a nation has to build a nation. Not an outsider build a nation.

Who should do the Nation Building, if you are in favor of it?

The question here is one of culture... are the people of Haiti or should I say... are there enough cultured people in Haiti that want change? You see it is all about majority. If the majority want 'x' then no matter how much 'y' you give them it will not work.
Offtopic but,
This is a religious point of view, but the Lord always showed in the scriptures that when there were too few to make a positive change that he would just wipe them out. Of course we do not live in that kind of day and age, but there are some nationsa that just did not start right and therefore cannot build on a sandy foundation.

Constitutional reform is needed followed by a military willing to support it whole heartedly.

Sponsored Links:
8th Mar, 2004 - 3:15pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

As an update to this thread. Haiti is once again in turmoil and it seems that the US involvement will have to be discussed here because of their recent forced departure of the former President.

It seems that the US was saying that CARICOM was basically taking too long to make a decision (which I agree) and they had to act because Aristide was committing secret acts of murder, etc. This one I have to disagree with... not that Aristde was or was not 'evil' as they say, but that there are ways their own people can deal with this. Again as has been said many times before. I do not understand the US's position on trying to 'fix' every little dispute that takes place.

However, in giving this more thought I think the reason they did it was to stop an in flux of refugees to the US shores.

After all of this the culture of the Haitian people will not change.

18th Mar, 2004 - 12:09am / Post ID: #

Haiti Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

Well, well... I am surprised no one is 'attacking' this thread. A leader is ousted, by force, from an outside nation, he returns to the region, specifically to Jamaica to supposedly see his children by invitation from the Jamaican government after request... but, here is the greatest... the new Haitian government is a guy that lived in the US for 15 years, he was not in main stream politics and neither him nor any of the appointed people surrounding him have been elected... okay, we are not making anything of this?

Post Date: 18th Mar, 2004 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

Haiti
A Friend

Page 3 Haiti

tongue.gif I dont know how old you people all are ,some may be in the range where im about to go
Does anybody remember JULY 1968 when civil unrest hit Detroit and the blacks rose up against the white man and all that he stood for
Gorden Lightfoot wrote a song about that time in history title BLACK DAY IN JULY
I think there is not very much difference then and now in hati
even the reason for what they are doing could be close [then and now]
Just think it happened in DETROIT
Just think it happened in HATI
Just think it could happen in TRINIDAD???
You put your self in there shoes and see how long you can put up with the crap they live with everyday
You sometimes cant even handle what happens in your everyday rigor
What makes you think you can handle there way of life [have you ever tried it]

18th Jul, 2004 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

CARICOM recently voted to not accept Haiti's current government - Interesting move don't you think? It sure took them a long time to decide that - like most things in the Caribbean.

23rd Jul, 2004 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

As a followup to this, it seems the T&T govt is in favor of restoring Haiti as a CARICOM council member, according to T&T foreign affairs minister, Knowlson Gift:

ref: https://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/ar...ews?id=30805464

To be honest I havent followed Haiti's progression since Aristide's removal, but I must say that it was disappointing that the country was allowed to get to that stage of confusion, where the US felt it was necessary to take actions. CARICOM is responsibe for major decisions influencing the Caribbean economically and socially, and its members should have the same type of control within its own borders. I am not sure if this holds true for Haiti.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Jul, 2004 - 1:17am / Post ID: #

Haiti - Page 3

CARICOM is responsibe for major decisions influencing the Caribbean economically and socially

Yes it is, but the USA is a go getter and does not work on Caribbean time which is more like a stroll on a Sunday afternoon rolleyes.gif.

24th Jul, 2004 - 2:24am / Post ID: #

Haiti Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 3

You give the US too much credit; I have seen bills crawl through our Congress and look at how slow they were to react after 9-11. But I do have to agree that things in the Caribbean are way more lax, unfortunately. Construction projects is a prime example of that.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (25) »

> TOPIC: Haiti

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,