Haiti - Page 2 of 25

JB, I thought that might be the case, but - Page 2 - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 3rd Mar, 2004 - 3:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (25) »
Art thou Lost?
1st Mar, 2004 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

Haiti - Page 2

Well, well, now they are saying it was a coup by the US to get the President out and he did not leave on in his own free will. He is currently under house arrest. If this is so then... and I hate to bring it up here... another leader ousted by the US that the US help put there in the first place. This certainly is a trend. Now, back to Haiti, the people are the reason... the people want this style of living... they have not yet left Africa behind them and seek to live like the militias of Congo, how sad.

Sponsored Links:
1st Mar, 2004 - 11:58pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

Well, it's just a rumor JB we cannot take it as 'real' as yet until an investigation is done about it, I want to hear him (The ex-President of Haiti) denouncing this...but I extremely doubt he will.

2nd Mar, 2004 - 4:31pm / Post ID: #

Haiti Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

I actually heard that Aristide alleges he didn't leave of his own free will. I find it hard to believe because I can't figure the motive. Why would the US care enough to risk such action? I can tell you this, if we did force him out against his will, we had no right to do so. I am against any action on our part in Haiti. Let them fight it out among themselves. Now, if we are asked to help that is different, but to just decide we are going to go in to any country that is suffering from civil unrest and wield our strength is wrong. However, if there is evidence of vast inhuman treatment to the citizens, that is a different story. I haven't heard allegations of mass graves or large numbers of people disappearing, so I don't care about the unrest. (It isn't really that I don't care, but I don't feel it is my battle to fight.)

I see know threat to me if Haiti has a civil war, so why should I spend my money and risk the lives of US soldiers to prevent one? I don't think we have that right. I also see that the UN and NATO plan to get involved, but again, I don't see what right any of these have. This isn't an invasion from another country, but the citizens of the country themselves taking this action. I believe the majority of citizens have the right to determine what form of government the will be subjected to following. I believe, in most cases, this should be done within the bounds of the law. However, sometimes this is not possible. Civil unrest in one country doesn't give another the right to intervene. Yet, many politicians in this country and other countries (France for one) have called for exactly that. I don't understand it.

As far as why they can't get their act together, I don't know, but I know there have been allegations that Aristide's government is extremely corrupt. Perhaps they do not have good checks and balances built into their governing structure?

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 2nd Mar, 2004 - 4:33pm

Post Date: 3rd Mar, 2004 - 8:43am / Post ID: #

Haiti
A Friend

Page 2 Haiti

excellent points tenaheff bow.gif yuo've changed my opinion

the US is gonna get bashed regardless of what happens in Haiti even if we do have the best interests of the Haitians at heart

therefore i now agree with YUO, we should act in the best interests of ourselves and ourselves alone

we should withdraw Marine Boi from Haiti at once and let those murdering savages exterminate each other to their heart's desire, rather like what they've been doing for centuries ever since the slave rebellion

furthermore, i think we should also withdraw from the UN. It's a joke organization. We're pouring billions of our dollars into that money pit and we're supplying most of the military muscle, and for what? what has the UN done for us? why the heck should we provide most of the funding for this joke organization? especially as most of it's members harbor anti-US feelings?

i think it's high time the US layed the smack down and made it perfectly clear to the rest of the world that the US has no legal or moral obligation to act in the best interests of other nations, they can all go to hell (except the British coz they've always backed us 100%)

- Car Key Boi,
American Tard currently in London / helping to build the "special relationship" / God Bless the USA-UK Coalition / DIGTBK!

Reconcile Edited: CarKeyBoi on 3rd Mar, 2004 - 8:45am

3rd Mar, 2004 - 9:43am / Post ID: #

Haiti

I appreciate that current events have led to a US involvement in Haiti, BUT this thread is NOT, I repeat NOT about the US, it is about Haiti! Let us discuss Haiti, there are enough threads about the US here, even one about the USA and the UN!

From Nightline Staff ABCNews.com

The issue here is nation-building. Haiti really has no working institutions, no history or culture of politics that goes beyond the dictatorships and corruption and violence of the past. Aristide was supposed to be different. He was the first democratically elected president, only to be overthrown by the military, and then restored to office with the help of the U.S. military. Then he too became dictatorial. The U.S. helped convince him that it was time to leave, but if there is to be a solution, a long-term solution, then we have to do more than send in troops for some limited amount of time....

3rd Mar, 2004 - 3:05pm / Post ID: #

Haiti

I appreciate that current events have led to a US involvement in Haiti, BUT this thread is NOT, I repeat NOT about the US, it is about Haiti! Let us discuss Haiti, there are enough threads about the US here, even one about the USA and the UN!

JB, I see what you are saying, but yet you posted and I was responding to the following:
Well, well, now they are saying it was a coup by the US to get the President out and he did not leave on in his own free will. He is currently under house arrest. If this is so then... and I hate to bring it up here... another leader ousted by the US that the US help put there in the first place. This certainly is a trend.

but if there is to be a solution, a long-term solution, then we have to do more than send in troops for some limited amount of time....

Who is "we" and what right do any of us other than the Haitians themselves have to do anything without their request and consent? Are you for or against Nation Building? I usually hear it used in a negative sense. What is your thought on it in general and then specifically towards Haiti? Who should do the Nation Building, if you are in favor of it?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Mar, 2004 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Haiti - Page 2

Tenaheff, that was not meant for you as much as CarKeyBoi who has an incredible nac for making each thread a US related political affair. For example...

furthermore, i think we should also withdraw from the UN.

That is why also said:

I hate to bring it up here...

3rd Mar, 2004 - 3:33pm / Post ID: #

Haiti Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean - Page 2

JB, I thought that might be the case, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't on your bad side. smile.gif Now, how about my other questions? What are your thoughts on them?

Who is "we" and what right do any of us other than the Haitians themselves have to do anything without their request and consent? Are you for or against Nation Building? I usually hear it used in a negative sense. What is your thought on it in general and then specifically towards Haiti? Who should do the Nation Building, if you are in favor of it?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (25) »

> TOPIC: Haiti

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,