Those Darn Neighborhood Dogs And Cats!

Those Darn Neighborhood Dogs Cats! - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 18th Feb, 2004 - 1:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 15th Feb, 2004 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

A Friend

This neighborhood is going to the dogs, and cats! There are two other houses besides myself who don't have dogs out of eight houses on my block. The owners of the the dogs don't even bother to go out with their dogs so they can scoop their potty!! I am the only one of the three non-dog owners that has a lawn and a gravel driveway. I can't go walking without watching where I go because of the poop! I have asked each and every dog owner to come and scoop their dogs messes up. But they tell me that I can't tell which belongs to what animal. Well I can ~ but I won't go into that here. I have even shoveled the stuff and deposited it at the front door of the proper houses!

What I am posting this for is do any of you have a way I can deter the dogs from using my yard and driveway as a bathroom?? I have already invested in the product Ropel ( $40.00 for a quart), and then I tried three other brands of animal repellent to the tune of nearly $80.00. I even bought two quarts of ammonia and poured it around the perimeter of the property. Worked for a day or two.

I live on the Oregon coast, we have maybe two days out of seven that don't rain. I rent, so if you suggest a fence, then I will have to talk to the landlord about that.

There are two cats that I am ready to catch and take to the pound. I know who they belong to and I have talked with them about their cats spraying my car, front door, deck, front window, garbage can, back porch, and compost bin!!! I follow with a spray bottle of pine sol. The owners just shrug their shoulders and say..'Cats will be cats'. For them, I am ready to put mouse traps out. I have been assured that the cats won't get caught in the traps, it will just scare the beejeepers out of them.

Do you have a better solution? I work all day and once it gets dark and I close my drapes I don't see the dogs and cats. I squirt them with ammonia water when I catch them in the act, then I shovel and deliver.

Oh, yeah, I checked with the sheriff and was told to get proof. I asked, oh should I bag the evidence and bring it to you?? tongue.gif They much prefer I use a camera. Right, like the rotten animals are going to pose for me. biggrin.gif

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 15th Feb, 2004 - 2:45am

Sponsored Links:
15th Feb, 2004 - 10:21am / Post ID: #

Cats Dogs Neighborhood Darn Those

Fence is the first way I would go and then a letter of demand. If either does not work then small claims court. I would just take one person as an example so the others get the message if you win. You may want to try video taping these incidents too.

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2004 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Those Darn Neighborhood Dogs And Cats! UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I had first thought of a fence, but as I rent, the landlord has to approve because he is going to have to pay for it. As for a video of the dogs in 'action', I don't have a video camera, and can't afford to buy one.

There is a vacant lot on this block that the dogs use as their bathroom. The problem is that new people moved in who have two large dogs. The vacant lot is totally full of poop!! NOT one of these dog owners has even thought that they should shovel and dispose of the poop. I really don't blame the dogs for finding a cleaner place to potty. When I told two of the dog owners that, In My Opinion, I felt it would be considerate of the dog owners, if they shoveled and cleaned up after their own animals. They got mad at me for suggesting such a thing.

So, I think I will talk again with the Sheriff about the Sanitary and Health issue. The owner of the lot is an absent and non-caring owner. Beats me how someone who HAS to pay taxes on a piece of property could just care less about it. Another thing is every dog owner here, is in violation of the leash law. But how to catch them and enforce it on a secluded, dead-end city street?

I was looking for a handy household tried and true way of repelling the dogs. I wondered about using a Paint Gun with red paint balls. Make the owners think that they had been shot. But paint guns cost way too much, and you have to be around waiting to 'catch' the animals.

Tomorrow I go and buy a bunch of mouse traps to deter the cats! Hope I don't catch my fingers when I set the traps.

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2004 - 3:54pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well if you dont mind telling a little lie you can always let the owners know that you have heard there are pet nappers around the area. There are people who steal dogs and cats who in return use them for medical or ballistics testings. Its a horrible crime and they are hard to catch but they are out there. Just tell them that.

Post Date: 16th Feb, 2004 - 7:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

biggrin.gif That wouldn't work Viking. This is a small town. Pop 2020. A little lie like that would be found out in a little minute. To the cat owners, I told them that if I caught their cats I would take them to the pound. Yet I really am hesitant to do that, because these cats aren't spayed/neutered and they are Spraying! I don't want them to spray when they are in my van.

Now the dogs I could easily get into my van and transport to the pound, they are friendly and love to ride in cars ~ except I am not up early enough to catch them, and when they are let out at night I am usually in bed, and the pound is closed. We do not have a dog catcher, just the Deputy Sheriff IF the animal is dangerous, nuisance, etc.

In the past I have used moth balls and moth flakes to detour feral dogs and coyotes.(they were killing my pet cats!) But a Vet told me that the moth balls destroys the mucus membranes in the animals nasal passages and for cats & racoons this is a death sentence. Never said what it did to dogs.

I'll keep trying the 'civilized' approach: talking to them, talking to the sheriff, etc. The fence is looking more & more appealing to me. It wouldn't even have to be all that much of a fence.

Post Date: 17th Feb, 2004 - 5:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Small town? All the more reason. I used to live in a town that was a lot smaller than yours. They still stole my dog by breaking and entering. It doesnt matter how small or big the area is, just as long as there are pets.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Feb, 2004 - 12:50am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Those Darn Neighborhood Dogs Cats!

Viking, I should have been clearer. I am not going to lie. I'm sure dog-napping goes on all the time, even here. But the point of my thread is: Do you have a non-lethal, legal, honest way of repelling the dogs from using my yard as their bathroom?

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 18th Feb, 2004 - 12:52am

Post Date: 18th Feb, 2004 - 1:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Those Darn Neighborhood Dogs Cats! Sciences Education Art Writing & UFO

red pepper. Lots of it. Sprinkle liberally around the perimeter of yuor yard.

works like a champ. Keeps other critter away as well

or yuo get yuorself one of those HaveAHeart traps and set it to trap the cats

when yuo trap a cat, take it for a ride to some random residential neighborhood 40 or 50 miles away and let it loose. Do *not* kill it

a neighbor of mine in Florida took out a neighborhood dog using a slingshot and a 3/8" nut, he got the dog right in the nuts when he was taking a dump on the lawn

personally, i would collect all the poop, instead of dumping it on the respective owners' porches, i would, wearing gloves of course, smear it liberally on the dog owners car, including the handles to all the doors

D N T

- Car Key Boi
Madd with it

Reconcile Edited: CarKeyBoi on 18th Feb, 2004 - 1:59am

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Those Darn Neighborhood Dogs And Cats!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,