Guyana

Guyana - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 1st Feb, 2008 - 12:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
18th Feb, 2004 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

Guyana

Guyana

Guyana was first partially settled by the Dutch in the early 17th century. However, in the years that followed, control of the territory passed a number of times between the Dutch and British (and on one occasion the French). It was finally ceded to Britain in 1814. At that time the territory comprised the separate colonies of Essequibo, Demerara and Berbice. In 1831 these were merged to become British Guyana.

Guyana achieved independence in May 1966 and became a Co-operative Republic, within the Commonwealth, in February 1970.

Sponsored Links:
6th Jun, 2004 - 3:47pm / Post ID: #

Guyana

Jagdeo to increase age of consent for sex

Sunday, June 6th 2004

GUYANA President Bharrat Jagdeo said yesterday his Government was moving to increase the age of consent for sex, from the existing 12 years.

His comments came in the wake of a protest outside Guyana's High Court on Friday against moves by a 37-year-old businessman, Reeaz Khan, to marry a 13-year-old girl. The protesters urged the Government to outlaw sex acts with children under 16.

Currently in Guyana, the law allows a child as young as 12 to consent to sex. Human rights groups are asking the government to raise that minimum age to 16 or 18

Under Guyanese law, the minimum age for marriage is 14 and the consent of the guardian is required if the child is under 18.

Am I the only one who thinks this is immoral and wrong?

6th Jun, 2004 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Guyana Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

No you are not the only one that thinks this is morally wrong, in fact I think it is outrageous that there was actually a law allowing it at the age of 12, what could a 12 year old want to do with sex? It is almost as though they are making it easy for a population of prostitutes.

7th Jun, 2004 - 4:09pm / Post ID: #

Guyana

The scary part in all of this is that if it was made law, that meant there was a majority vote by country leaders to approve it. What were they thinking? What was their justification for allowing this type of behavior? Does anyone have any insight on this?

Post Date: 28th Aug, 2005 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Guyana
A Friend

Guyana

I study these sorts of cultures quite regulaly and still I am shocked whenever another country practices what I believe to be under age sex. Many of my family are fro Guyana and I wasn't aware the sexual consenting and marriage age was so low. Some of these girls probably haven't even reached puberty yet, and I bet that the marriages are not of two young children but of a young girl and a mature experienced much older man.

Post Date: 18th Nov, 2007 - 5:01am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Guyana

Venezuela 'attacked Guyana boats'

Venezuela denies accusations that it blew up two gold-mining dredges on Guyanese territory.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/a...cas/7099476.stm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Jan, 2008 - 12:08pm / Post ID: #

Guyana

Guyana shooting rampage kills 11

Gunmen in Guyana go on a rampage, killing 11 people, including at least three children.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/a...cas/7210929.stm

Post Date: 1st Feb, 2008 - 12:20pm / Post ID: #

Guyana Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

Two shot dead by Guyana police

Police in Guyana shoot and kill two gang members alleged to have been involved in a recent village massacre.
Ref. https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/a...cas/7221359.stm

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Guyana

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,