The Passion Of The Christ - Page 2 of 8

This letter was posted to one of my single - Page 2 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 28th Feb, 2004 - 3:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »
Top  The Passion Christ 2000s This movie has spread so much controversy that one has to wonder if it is doing any good for those who watch. Was Mel Gibson trying to convert anyone? Was this merely a story of the pain and suffering of Jesus? Did you think it was too violent?
25th Feb, 2004 - 7:19pm / Post ID: #

The Passion Of The Christ - Page 2

I do want to see the movie. I mean come on it is Mel. But seriously, that is not the main reason why I would pay my $30.

I am a believer of Christ and I think it was about time that someone did a movie that was real and not that ' holier-than-thou" TV flick. Christ was a real person, also the pain he went through. I can't wait to see it.

I agree with you Renee and I cannot wait to see the movie too. When do you think will be available in Trinidad?.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2004 - 9:17pm / Post ID: #

The Passion Of The Christ
A Friend

Christ The Passion The

Altho im not religious, im planning on seeing the movie when the crowds clear. 60 Minutes commentator Andy Rooney went on a rant attacking Mel Gibson. Typical Rooney babbling. Time to retair Andy.

What that made me realize is that there are some who are simply afraid of this movie. Somehow they feel threatened by it. I am predicting that you will hear more on the far left critisize this movie because they are threatened by it. I even heard a comment from a far left person that says, all GOSheeple, making movies with glorified viloence .

That comment made me laugh thinking about all the liberal directors and movie makers in Hollywood making movies such as Pulp Fiction, Natural Born Killers, Saving Private Ryan, Shindlers List, ETC, ETC.

Some say The Passion is a powerful movie that will have a strong effect on Christians throughout the country. Is that what some on the far left are afraid of? I really think so. One commentator on Cavuto, on Fox Canada claims this movie might actually help President Bush in the comming election.

I don't know about that andi dont really care but, I think many on the left are afraid of that. Just the past year there are many examples of secular liberals being afraid and feeling threatened by those with Christian values and beliefs. This movie is just another example of their fears.

25th Feb, 2004 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #

The Passion Of The Christ Sports & Fashion Music Movies

Controversial 'Passion' debuts nationwide

From CNN:

(CNN) -- The opening of Mel Gibson's controversial "The Passion of the Christ" brought movie fans and religious leaders to more than 2,500 theaters across the nation on Ash Wednesday.

Questions about the film's alleged anti-Semitic tone and bloody depiction of the crucifixion of Jesus have raised interest in the movie. Sales of its companion book rose from No. 20 to No. 9 on Amazon.com on Wednesday.

Movie houses were packed from New York to Georgia to Texas, where some viewers exited with tears in their eyes.

By 11, three Wednesday night showings of the film were already sold out at a theater in Kennesaw, Georgia....

https://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/...sion/index.html

Also:

The man who plays Jesus
What James Caviezel went through for 'Passion'

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Playing Jesus meant a world of torment for Jim Caviezel, who stars in Mel Gibson's ferociously violent "The Passion of the Christ."

Caviezel dangled nearly naked on a cross in bone-chilling winds through weeks of filming. He was struck by lightning during a recreation of the Sermon on the Mount. An actor playing a Roman torturer cut a 14-inch gash in Caviezel's back during scenes of Christ's scourging.

He dislocated his shoulder carrying the cross, caught pneumonia and a lung infection, endured cuts, scrapes and backaches from the chains he bore....

https://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/...l.ap/index.html

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 25th Feb, 2004 - 9:27pm

26th Feb, 2004 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Christ The Passion The

If anyone gets some reviews on this film please post them up, especially if they come from something other than CNN which seems so anxious to report on it that they are even willing to slip in some false quotes smile.gif-->rolleyes.gif

26th Feb, 2004 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Christ The Passion The

Oh gosh this is getting scary sad.gif

Report: Woman dies watching 'Passion'

From CNN:

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- A woman died of an apparent heart attack Wednesday while watching the climactic crucifixion scene in "The Passion of the Christ" at a morning showing in Wichita, Kansas, a television station reported.

The film was stopped and a nurse in attendance went to the woman's side, KAKE-TV in Wichita reported.

"It was the highest emotional part of the movie," a spokeswoman for the station said. A crew from the station was at the special showing, which was sponsored by the ClearChannel Radio chain....

https://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/02/26/p...reut/index.html

27th Feb, 2004 - 12:25am / Post ID: #

The Passion Of The Christ

Those kinds of situations only fuels more participation to see the movie, but one has to wonder what aspect of the film caused her to have the heart attack? Guilt? Remorse? Depression? Shock? Circumstance?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Feb, 2004 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

The Passion The Christ - Page 2

Here is a review by Roger Ebert

Jesus, the Christ: James Caviezel
Mary: Maia Morgenstern

If ever there was a film with the correct title, that film is Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." Although the word passion has become mixed up with romance, its Latin origins refer to suffering and pain; later Christian theology broadened that to include Christ's love for mankind, which made him willing to suffer and die for us.

The movie is 126 minutes long, and I would guess that at least 100 of those minutes, maybe more, are concerned specifically and graphically with the details of the torture and death of Jesus. This is the most violent film I have ever seen.

Ref. https://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cst-ftr-passion24.html

The official site: https://www.jesusfilm.org/passion/
If you want to see trailers: https://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/trailers/index.html

28th Feb, 2004 - 3:53pm / Post ID: #

The Passion The Christ Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 2

This letter was posted to one of my single adult groups (actually to two of them) and I am posting it here for your comments. Reposted by permission (see end of letter).
====================================================
Begin quote:
February 26, 2004

Dear Mr. Gibson,

Congratulations on the success of your most
recent work of
cinematography, "The Passion of the Christ." I
understand that
yesterday's opening was the most successful in
history. You are to be
commended for your marketing genius in promoting
this project. I am
also told that the craft of your film is
extraordinary. I truly
salute you on your abilities and your hard work
and dedication.

I appreciate the very public invitation to view
this film. I have
read the reviews and am quite satisfied that I
know what to expect to
see and hear, should I choose to attend a
screening. However, I
respectfully decline to view this movie for the
following reasons:

1. Jesus is my friend. I respect, honor,
worship, and cherish Him.
I prefer to remember His life, His mission, and
His love for all
mankind. I understand that the vast majority of
your movie
concentrates on graphically depicting the cruel
agonies He suffered
during the last several hours of His mortal life
and His ignominious
death. Quite frankly, I do not appreciate your
intense focus on
this part of His mortal journey. I prefer to
remember the Messiah in
a more positive light.

2. I have been informed that your movie touches
only briefly on the
Resurrection of Jesus. I truly wish you had
spent more energies in
your film making efforts on His Resurrection.
This glorious singular
event is of paramount importance to us all and
should be celebrated
as such. I respectfully submit that our
Savior's triumph over death
should have been the theme of your movie.

3. Many of your movie attendees have remarked
that viewing this
movie has given them a greater appreciation of
the pain that Jesus
endured and the trials He went through. However,
I have also been
told that it is not an edifying portrayal--that
it leaves the
audience member sickened, discouraged, and empty.
Our world has
enough cruelty in it already; we do not need any
more reminders.
Please redo your film and make it edifying for
all to see.

4. Some people have commented that, "It is only
a movie." Yes, that
is true. However, visual images often stay in
one's mind for a long
time, sometimes forever. I do not need any more
negative images
lodged in my brain.

In closing let me say that I am reminded of the
timely maxim that the
mark of an educated man is not only knowing what
books to read, but
also knowing what books NOT to read. The same
would apply to music,
film, and television shows. I respectfully
decline to view your
movie and have chosen instead to read an
uplifting book.

Sincerely,

David H. Sheen
Chandler, Arizona, USA

davidsheen@aol.com

Copyright notice: This letter has been
copyrighted by David H.
Sheen, 2004, all rights reserved. This letter
may be freely copied,
transmitted, and disseminated for non-commercial
use only.
==================end quote============================

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: The Passion Of The Christ

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,