Mormon Exorcism

Mormon Exorcism - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Feb, 2004 - 11:06am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »
Mormon Exorcism
Casting out demons from the body... Demon possession. Specific ordinance for casting out evil spirits?
23rd Feb, 2004 - 8:11pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism

Mormons & Exorcism

Something you see regularly in movies and supposedly practiced a lot by other Churches is that of exorcism which by interpretation is to cast an evil spirit that has illegally taken over a mortal man's body. In the Church this is not something that is widely talked about, but we do see a lot of evidence of it being performed by the Apostles and Christ in the New Testament. What are your feelings and/or knowledge on the subject?

Sponsored Links:
25th Feb, 2004 - 2:27pm / Post ID: #

Exorcism Mormon

I know of a book, by an active member of the Church, that deals with it. I have been trying to get the book, but haven't ordered it yet.

Several people who have read it have reported incredible results, including learning how to recognize the presence of malicious spirits, how to call on the Lord for assistance and protection, and how to actually help some malicious but not evil spirits to find their way to the Lord.

Now, in Mormon History, there are quite a few references to evil spirits. Missionaries in England were frequently hounded and tormented by spirits. I have read fairly recent missionary experiences wherein missionaries run in to problems.

Now, what is interesting is that the Priesthood is not always effective in exorcising such "demons." If the place is "haunted" because of extensive wickedness that has occured there, or is still occuring there, it may be necessary to just leave it alone. Also, young missionaries are frequently not very successful.

I have heard of times wherein church leadership send forth special "ordinances" to deal with such a situation. I expect it is just special wording for a normal ordinance, but not having participated, I can't say for sure.

Back to closer experiences, we learn in the Temple how to "cast out" evil spirits. But that is probably really only truly effective in a setting that is already dedicated and consecrated to the Lord. Thus, if we have dedicated our homes, that form is probably effective there.

People I know who have had experiences with malicious experiences have reportedly talked with those spirits, learned their names, and learned what they are up to. One case concerned a lady who inadvertently walked through an American Indian burial ground, and the spirit of a young brave attached himself to her. She began experiencing some strange things, so got together with a friend to learn what was happening. They learned who this young man had been, then explained to him that there was a way for him to become a mighty warrior. They then prayed to the Lord to send a Lamanite angel to help the young warrior. They reported that the young warrior got all excited because he saw the angel, and he departed with the angel to learn how to advance.

The same woman reported that once she found that one of Satan's minions was attached to her. She said that it was very frightening, and it took mighty prayer to call on angels to protect her and drive it away. I can't remember whether or not she said that she had a priesthood blessing to help at this time. She may not have, because all of the priesthood members in her life think she is nuts to believe any of this stuff.

For myself, I tend to believe it, mainly because I see things in my own life that make perfect sense ONLY in relation to these types of experiences. That is why I am trying to get this book, so that I can study, ponder, and pray about it to learn if it will be helpful to ME.

When my addictions get really bad, I feel like I am driven to things that I don't want to do. Afterwards, the feelings are completely gone, and disgust, depression, and anguish are all that's left. This seems to be common with almost all addictions, which really makes me wonder if malicious spirits aren't involved in many things.

The author of the book, Mel Fish, apparently warns that sending malicious spirits away works, but only for a while, until we invite them back through our actions.

Finally, the book is Healing the Inner Self: From Darkness into Light, and is apparently only available directly from the author.

NightHawk

25th Feb, 2004 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism Studies Doctrine Mormon

Now, what is interesting is that the Priesthood is not always effective in exorcising such "demons." If the place is "haunted" because of extensive wickedness that has occured there, or is still occuring there, it may be necessary to just leave it alone. Also, young missionaries are frequently not very successful.

But we are talking about the Priesthood! The power of God on Earth....tell me if I'm wrong but there is not a more powerful method available on Earth to deal with things like this. If young missionaries are frequently not very successful or other Priesthood holders I cannot say it for sure, but I assume is lack of real Faith.

I have heard of times wherein church leadership send forth special "ordinances" to deal with such a situation. I expect it is just special wording for a normal ordinance, but not having participated, I can't say for sure.

I heard about this too, specially in the early days of the Church. Any references? book? links?.

Back to closer experiences, we learn in the Temple how to "cast out" evil spirits. But that is probably really only truly effective in a setting that is already dedicated and consecrated to the Lord. Thus, if we have dedicated our homes, that form is probably effective there.

In Doctrine and Covenants we learn how to distinguish and cast them out too and I think we can do it in all settings, not only in a dedicated and consecrated place. What makes you think it is only in dedicated places that we can cast them out only?. I never heard of this before, that's why I'm asking. I know the Lord will not leave us unprotected in any place, he will give us a way to deal with it in all places and at all times.

When my addictions get really bad, I feel like I am driven to things that I don't want to do. Afterwards, the feelings are completely gone, and disgust, depression, and anguish are all that's left. This seems to be common with almost all addictions, which really makes me wonder if malicious spirits aren't involved in many things.

Oh yes, definetly malicious spirits are involved with many things, specially addictions. The other day I was thinking watching the movie 'End of Days' if we really think Satan is a person, a real one, that has demons and all kinds of supporters who are also very real who can put ideas on our minds and make us do all kind of things, if we could just see them, maybe some of us, will not be faced with so many temptations but because we do not see them (we just hear their little whisper of 'Do it, nobody is watching you') then is when the problems started. I believe that people that abuse drugs or alcohol when they report they have seen demons or other creatures, I don't think they're mad or anything...I think they're 'possesed' because I know Satan has the power to do this. So what you just said, is so true.

The author of the book, Mel Fish, apparently warns that sending malicious spirits away works, but only for a while, until we invite them back through our actions.

It sounds like a good book to read, specially because I have the impression that the demons or strange things that happen in our lives and that we cannot explain comes from what we do in our lives, how we live it, etc.

25th Feb, 2004 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Exorcism Mormon

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 25-Feb 04, 1:38 PM)
But we are talking about the Priesthood! The power of God on Earth....tell me if I'm wrong but there is not a more powerful method available on Earth to deal with things like this. If young missionaries are frequently not very successful or other Priesthood holders I cannot say it for sure, but I assume is lack of real Faith.

No, you are right, the Priesthood is the most powerful force to do such things. The point is that most of us (who hold the Priesthood) don't really have confidence in it or in ourselves, and so lack faith to effectively use it. Bro. Fish has apparently been dealing with these types of things for decades, and so has great confidence.

Another point to think about on this subject is the faith and confidence of others. If people in a "haunted" house don't believe in the power of the Priesthood, and are just humoring the Elders, then the Priesthood ordinance probably won't be effective. Also, if the spirits are drawn to wicked activities that are occuring or have occured in the house, it may take more than simply "casting out" the spirits.

In Doctrine and Covenants we learn how to distinguish and cast them out too and I think we can do it in all settings, not only in a dedicated and consecrated place. What makes you think it is only in dedicated places that we can cast them out only?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was talking about the very simple act learned in the Temple. Remember, Jesus told his disciples (who held the Priesthood) that sometimes it takes much fasting and prayer to cast out devils. A dedicated, consecrated place, such as a Temple, chapel, or home, already has a degree of spiritual protection, so a simple ordinance may be effective, whereas an old thieves' den may require a whole lot of fasting, prayer, and even have to be dedicated over and over.

When the saints moved to Missouri, some of them, living in particular houses, were overcome with sickness. Joseph Smith entered one such house, and told the residents that the house was a site of horrible wickedness. If I remember right, the people were told to just move out of it, as it wasn't worth the effort to spiritually cleanse it. The message I got from the story was that the wicked spirits need somewhere to be, so just let them alone.

One more thing. The sister who wrote about having an Indian brave attached to her also said that she has found that playing spiritual music helps tremendously to keep evil spirits away.

NightHawk

25th Feb, 2004 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Exorcism Mormon

Another point to think about on this subject is the faith and confidence of others. If people in a "haunted" house don't believe in the power of the Priesthood, and are just humoring the Elders, then the Priesthood ordinance probably won't be effective. Also, if the spirits are drawn to wicked activities that are occuring or have occured in the house, it may take more than simply "casting out" the spirits.

Exactly, it will work just like any other blessing of the Priesthood, by Faith on the side of the receiver.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was talking about the very simple act learned in the Temple. Remember, Jesus told his disciples (who held the Priesthood) that sometimes it takes much fasting and prayer to cast out devils. A dedicated, consecrated place, such as a Temple, chapel, or home, already has a degree of spiritual protection, so a simple ordinance may be effective, whereas an old thieves' den may require a whole lot of fasting, prayer, and even have to be dedicated over and over.

Oh gotcha. Great point.

One more thing. The sister who wrote about having an Indian brave attached to her also said that she has found that playing spiritual music helps tremendously to keep evil spirits away.

A fellow teacher at work told me that since she was small, she had been 'haunted' by a relative, this spirit will come to her bedroom and tell her all kind of horrible things she was planning to do to her father (the father of my friend at work),so she (the spirit) could stay with him forever. I asked her whether this relative was a good woman and she said she was a great woman. She told me that she was always so scared that she had to sleep on her parent's bedroom and the parents decide to do a special prayer to cast the spirit out of the house (they're hindues). But the night before they did, this girl dreamed with this same lady and the lady begged her to not give that special prayer because then she will not be able to see her father anymore. The next day the family did the prayer and the spirit never returned.

I do think mighty prayer can cast any devil out and the power of the Priesthood must be use with Faith in order to be effective. Sometimes I wonder how come some of these spirits are 'allowed' somehow to be seen and scare other people?.

26th Feb, 2004 - 5:07am / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism

I'm reading your posts with great interest. My sister had experiences in the past with malicious spirits, and I believe she still does but doesn't like to talk about it. But she has a lot of anger in her that is really unexplainable -- and so vehemently against the LDS church as to be scary sometimes.

In my opinion, some people are just more susceptible -- or maybe just more sensitive? -- to spirits, whether malicious or not.

And of course, FAITH is the key to protection/exorcising.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Feb, 2004 - 5:17am / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism

Here are some points of interest I would like to bring up...

1. No spirit can enter into your body unless you allow it - holy or unholy
2. Methods for allowing spirit(s) to enter your body are prescribed in the scriptures (example: we know what we have to do if we want the presence of the Holy Spirit)
3. Missionaries tend to be very young not only in mind, but in what they possess, thus they hardly know how to give a blessing let alone to perform an exorcism. Nighthawk pointed out some reasons as regards to fasting and prayer, etc.
4. Casting out an evil spirit as far as I know can be done in as simple a manner as a blessing, once you are able to do so. Keep in mind that not all possessions are manifested in a violent manner.
5. I have been in the room where Heber C. Kimball had his vision of the evil hosts attacking them. The place is not owned by the Church, but the man who does own it allowed us to view... it is extremely small and the men must have been really trashed in such cramped quaters.
6. We sometimes fail to realize that the Spirit World is here, with us, and death just takes us to that world - right here - like a different dimension if you will but in the same void. Thus interaction between the two is inevitable if even not so apparent.

Based on my experiences.

26th Feb, 2004 - 11:06am / Post ID: #

Mormon Exorcism Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (FarSeer @ 26-Feb 04, 12:07 AM)
My sister had experiences in the past with malicious spirits, and I believe she still does but doesn't like to talk about it.  But she has a lot of anger in her that is really unexplainable -- and so vehemently against the LDS church as to be scary sometimes.

Farseer, once I get the book, I will try to give you an idea of what it says about that type of situation. It sounds exactly like what other people have talked about.

QUOTE (JB)
1. No spirit can enter into your body unless you allow it - holy or unholy

I am not really talking about spirits ENTERING the body, but getting attached. My understanding is that they follow some people around, whispering to them, cajoling them to do things. I think this is much more of a problem than actual possession.

NightHawk

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: Mormon Exorcism

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,