Dr. Phil's New Lds Family

Dr Phil' S Lds Family - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Feb, 2004 - 2:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Wait! Didn't the Prophet say NOT to get involved in these types of things? Well you know... the love of money is the root...
24th Feb, 2004 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

Have you seen Dr. Phil's show?. If you had, you may well know that there is a new family that he is 'helping' out. An LDS family. Stacy the wife, Chris, the husband and 5 children. 4 of them from different fathers and the last one (who was bi-racial) was given into adoption a little time ago. She said she belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and she confessed being a 'sex addict' and having at least 2 affairs while married her last husband Chris (she was married 3 times). Her family is facing bankrupcy and debts up to $125,000. Even though she has a master degree, she doesn't work because her religion teachs is that is the responsibility of the husband to provide for his family (don't we teach about the Law of Chastity in the Church too!) :<!--emo&:)-->user posted image<!--endemo-->
Her teenager daughter says her mother is a hypocrite by having teaching her about the law of chastity and by cheating on her step-father. Her 14 years old son was sent to live with his father and while another son possible is going to do the same way after being expelled from school for being a violent child.
Last week, Stacy confessed she's pregnant again! and for what I read so far, she doesn't think that she is the one who have the problem.

"I'm not just a compilation of the sins and indiscretions and mistakes that I've made," Stacy stresses. "I want to acknowledge that. We are also whole people. We are kind. We give service. We love our children."

Dr. Phil interjects, "You're going to have the opportunity to live everything you said and put your actions where your words are."

Stacy thanks Dr. Phil for giving her the opportunity to voice her concerns, and he replies, "You understand that I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear."

"I do understand that," says Stacy.

"And you understand that I think you are absolutely a master manipulator," Dr. Phil tells her. "You said you're self-destructive, and I think it's because you try to manipulate everything. I think you manipulate your husband. I think you allow her to do it," Dr. Phil says, pointing to Chris.

"I think you manipulate people all around you," Dr. Phil continues with Stacy. "I am your worst nightmare because you ain't going to manipulate me"

https://www.drphil.com

What are your thoughts? how the Church is going to be affected by this story?

Sponsored Links:
26th Feb, 2004 - 10:46pm / Post ID: #

Family Lds Phils Dr

These kinds of things make me sick because it is obvious that it is not representive of the Church, yet they are made out to be. I am sure they used an 'LDS' family just because the 'Mormons' are known to be the goodie goodie boring types. I would be interested in where this actually goes now that it is in the open.

27th Feb, 2004 - 12:38am / Post ID: #

Dr. Phil's New Lds Family Studies Doctrine Mormon

I haven't seen any of the shows, but I did go to the web site and look at all the links there for each show. It looks like Dr. Phil chose this family because they are unbelievable messed up. The mention of them being LDS comes from the mother as an excuse not to get a job to help out the family. I say excuse, because given their current circumstances she needs to be working. We are counseled to stay home if we can, but this particular family really can't afford her to be at home right now and she has a masters degree in family counselling, etc.

I don't think the Church will be impacted at all.

27th Feb, 2004 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Family Lds Phils Dr

she has a masters degree in family counselling

Now that is a laugh. it is funny that she is the one to bring up the Church since if she is currently involved with outside relationships then she wouldn't even be a member of the Church. Then again, it might be shocking to their ward if this is 'news' to them. wink.gif

27th Feb, 2004 - 3:03pm / Post ID: #

Family Lds Phils Dr

I will be interested to see if at any point her status with the Church is mentioned. I have got to believe she will be ex-communicated, if she hasn't already. Will that come up in the show? I am sure it will have some impact on the family members, especially the teenage daughter, so if it is bothering her, it will probably be discussed.

I don't understand how an active Church family gets this messed up, yet I understand that none of us are perfect, so I do not want to point fingers or make judgments. In fact, it is possible some day that one of these people might find their way to this site. I wouldn't want them to feel unwelcome or judged.

I do think it might be good to discuss how this kind of thing can happen so that we can prevent it in our own lives, but I hope we do it without being judgmental.

I will start. First. The wife mentions she has had a lot of issues in the past with her husband. She doesn't say what they are. What she did was seek comfort in the wrong place. She should have been in counselling with the Bishop at a minimum. Read scriptures regularly and pray fervently for help. I know if we do these things, we receive the help we need. Not to say our pain is removed immediately, but we can be sustained to withstand it. If she did meet with the Bishop, did he prayerfully counsel her or just talk the talk so to speak.

It is strange that this happened in her family when she is trained to help others with these same issues though, isn't it. Physician heal thyself comes to mind. Yet, sometimes we are too close to a situation to see it clearly regardless of our education or background.

28th Feb, 2004 - 5:05pm / Post ID: #

I read the linked material, and it doesn't look to me like they are focusing on the fact that the family is LDS. It's atcually NOT mentioned in any of the little descriptive paragraphs under the video links. So I don't think it will impact the church much, if at all.

Yes, it is laughable that her master's degree is in family counseling -- what a joke! It just makes her manipulation of her family that much easier because she knows how to use that training to get her way. How sad for all of those children! That poor woman is truly mixed up, and I hope she and her family can get help -- whether through Dr. Phil or somewhere else.

I agree with tena that the membership of the wife, at least, is in question (as it should be). I'd be really surprised if she is not at least disfellowshipped (if the church still does that?).

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Feb, 2004 - 12:04am / Post ID: #

Dr. Phil's Lds Family

Has anyone actually seen one of the shows? I think that will tell how much discussion of the Church is actually on air rather than the linked report.

29th Feb, 2004 - 2:46am / Post ID: #

Dr. Phil's Lds Family Mormon Doctrine Studies

JB, for what I heard the reason they know the family is LDS is because of two reasons:

1) When they asked her why she doesn't work she then mentioned she was an LDS member and in her religion women should stay at home to raise and nurture the children while the husband works.

2) Dr. Phil's crew filmed her family going to an LDS chapel.

As far as I know, there is almost no mention about the religion besides these two things but its all over the net now the fact that they're members.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Dr. Phil's New Lds Family

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,