Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences - Page 4 of 10

Hi I quickly want to relate a story. Joseph - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Oct, 2007 - 3:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (10) »
Mormon Spirits We started this Topic in the Exorcism thread so I thought in adding a new thread about spirits being attached to a person or experiences of similar nature from an LDS perspective.
Post Date: 11th Apr, 2007 - 12:49am / Post ID: #

Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences
A Friend

Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences - Page 4

As for spirits interacting with our physical world, I believe yes, they can--to an extent. Matter is energy and everything in this world and the spiritual (eternal) world are of matter, hence, energy. I read, and I apologize I can't remember at this time exactly where, that everything in this world was created in the eternal world prior to this one. That the matter in the eternal world is pure and refined, and the matter in our world is not pure and refined. This would be the difference between our worlds, yet both worlds are created with matter, hence, energy.

I don't believe any spirit being can open and close cabinets and throw objects around the house, but I do believe they can make themselves know through energy manifestations if the veil is thin enough. Maybe turning a light on and off? I once had a phone call in the middle of the night. When I answered, there was an open, but silent line. I hung up and then picked up the receiver again. The line was dead. I didn't sleep the rest of the night, but stayed up, checking and rechecking the line. It remained dead. You see, the phone service had been disconnected several days before.

The next day I called the phone company to ask why they hadn't turned off my service earlier that week as they had promised. They said it had been turned off several days prior, and that the line was dead.

What makes a phone ring? Energy. Could a spirit have used energy to cause the phone to ring? I believe so.

Sponsored Links:
11th Apr, 2007 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Experiences Mormon and Spirits Wandering Lingering

lindamb, what would be the purpose for a spirit to do that? It's not like you are seeing them and they have some type of message for you but just a phone ring. I do not see the reason what they would do that.

Post Date: 15th Apr, 2007 - 2:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences Studies Doctrine Mormon

I've spent, in vain, the last 2 hours trying to find the quote by an early General Authority pertaining to spirits who did not overcome the temptings of the mortal body and/or the material things of the temporal world. He spoke of seeing spirits in the spirit world who were desperately trying to make contact with the temporal world. Some were trying desperately to take a cigarette, others a drink of alcohol, and others, trying desperately to speak to the temporal "living". I apologize I cannot remember which General Authority it was. But if this is true, and spirits are comprised of pure energy, why not make a phone ring?

I've also read of instances when a person felt a spirit was responsible for moving objects. One instance was of a couple scheduled to do the temple work for a distant relative. Their electricity went out as they slept and the alarm clock was no longer set to go off. At the time they should have been awakened, their alarm clock began ringing, even though the time on the clock was blinking 12:00.

Just my observations. undecided.gif

Post Date: 22nd Apr, 2007 - 6:12pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 4 Experiences Mormon and Spirits Wandering Lingering

In relation to the ability of spirits to 'haunt' or occupy a physical location, I believe this to be the case. Joseph Smith once had an experience related to a home he was purchasing. The devil appeared to Joseph and told him that he (the devil) had more claim on that home, because a very wicked person lived there prior to the purchase of the home by the Prophet. Jospeh commanded Satan to depart, and the home was cleansed from the evil presence.

Only the Priesthood of God can cas out evil spirits in this way.

It also seems that Satan uses the influence of these evil manifistations to attempt to destroy or dissuade anyone who is about to disturb his kingdom and power in any way. The appearance of Satan to Joseph in the sacred grove is a great example. It seems that any time that Satan cannot get us to disobey God thru temptation, that he resorts to a desperate attempt to destroy or scare us. And he often seeks to do this when we are in a weakened physical state. I think of the example when Satan appeared to Moses, just after Moses had seen God. Moses had been passed out for hours due to the physical exhaustion of being in the presence of God and Jesus Christ. Satan commanded Moses to worship him, and when Moses refused, Satan's rants caused the very earth to shake. When Moses began to fear, he "saw the bitterness of hell". But calling upon God, Moses was able to cast Satan out.

When I was about to leave on my mission, I had a very similar experience. I dreamed that I was walking past several evil spirits, who were acting as sentries, and as I walked past each one, they spoke many evil and frightening things to me, and I verily felt that I could be destroyed. The dream seemed to last a long time, and I exercised as much strength as I could to force my self to wake up.
When I awoke, the presence was surrounding my bed, and for several minutes I could not move or speak. I was able to finally command the being to depart, using the priesthood, which it did.

Post Date: 7th Jun, 2007 - 11:18pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Experiences Mormon and Spirits Wandering Lingering

I too have had experiences at night.
Once, I woke up in the middle of the night. It was about 2:00 am.
The reason I woke up was that I was finding it harder to breath.
Once I realized that the force that was pushing down on me was getting stronger, I fully woke up with fear. I realized that if I couldn't get help soon, I would die. I tried to speak but could not.

Luckily, I was sleeping in the same room with my brother in another bed. He is usually a very deep sleeper. But finally I was able to whisper his name, and immediately he responded sleepily, "what?". Right then the powerful force on me began to dissipate.

That very brother also had an experience seeing a girl spirit in a hotel room in california when the rest of us were asleep.

My sister claims her room is haunted. Sometimes she sleeps in our room out of fear. She used to have a stuffed bear in her room on a dresser. She saw it move its head once but tried to ignore it.

The next night she would not go to sleep until my younger brother came in the room to sleep with her. When my sister saw the bears head move, she told my younger brother to look. They both witnessed the bears head move to look at them and then the stuffed bear eviliy smiled at them. Needless to say they were both freaked out and threw the bear away.

Another time that my sister came to sleep in our room, she woke up at night for no good reason. Soon after waking, the drumset in our room randomly went BANG. She turned the lights on but saw nothing that could have caused it.

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2007 - 9:03am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I am new to this website, and this is my first real post. I have had many experiences, directly and indirectly, with this topic. I would like to share a few of them with you.

The first story is about my wifes grandfathers graveside services. He was a wonderful man that was truly the patriarch of his family. He passed away in early spring and it was cold and wet. After the conclusion of his funeral services the procession to the cemetery was marked by miserable drizzly rain. As the hearse pulled up to the graveside and we all began to get out of our cars the rain stopped and suddenly the sun peeked out from behind the clouds to frame his casket in a pillar of light. It was truly remarkable and I still tear up every time I think about it. After everyone was able to compose themselves we proceeded with the services and took our leave. Afterwards the clouds closed up and the rain began again. I am sure that it was his final way of saying see you later, and it was sure effective.

I have a second story that is one that my wife and I cherish. We were high school sweet hearts, mostly just our Senior year. When we first started dating my grandmother passed away, so my wife didn't get much of a chance to get to know her. We continued dating and then one year after we graduated we were married, and had our reception in my grandfathers backyard. All of our things were over at my grandfathers home prior to our wedding and my wife prepared in his Master bedroom. Her gown had been hanging in my grandmothers closet which was now empty, and she went in to retrieve it. As she changed into her dress she was overcome with a feeling of peace, which I don't suppose often happens to brides prior to their wedding, and a pleasant scent. At the time she didn't think much of it, until a few weeks later we were going through some boxes in my grandfathers pantry and I found a bottle of my grandmothers favorite lotion, Chantilly. My mother and sister both wanted it and I was going to give it to them, but I wanted my wife to smell it so she would know what my grandma smelled like. She took one whiff and immediately began to tear up. I asked her what was the matter and she told me of her experience and that she knew that my grandma had been checking up on her. We have had many more experiences where we are aware of my grandmas presence, and it is always accompanied by her scent.

My wife seems to be very susceptible to seeing and feeling spirits. She can even go so far as to tell you were they are standing within a room. There have been a few times that she has asked me to exercise the priesthood power to command them to leave. I believe strongly in the duty of a husband to bless and protect his families home from these evil spirits. It is one of the reasons we are blessed with this power. I have personally never seen a spirit, but I have definitely felt their presence and I know they are foaming at the mouth to find any weakness in you to molest.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 21st Jul, 2007 - 8:44am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences - Page 4

I find this topic very interesting. I grew up in a family that also believes in evil spirits. Growing up in a very Chaotic (Yet equally or more religious environment) my father was often having violent episodes and then obsessively blessing the home. I never noticed a change in mood or feelings afterward. He was also in good church standing. This all starting before I was born so as an adult all of my sisters and I worried about these evil spirits. After so many years of hearing my family members blame their violent outbursts and "temptations" on evil spirits I have come to realize that people that take part in these views have either been convinced, by themselves or other that these things exist, so they are looking at any little sign or they want to blame their actions on someone or something else. Usually because of anxiety, moodiness or just plan bad behavior on their part. I see it as an excuse and an escape goat. Although there may be things unexplainable in this world I really do not believe any spirit is trying to suck your spirit out before you go to sleep. It is a fact that some parts of the nervous system shut down before others when trying to fall asleep. Sometimes this can cause a feeling of being trapped in your own body, uneasiness and anxiety. I would guess that is why most of these story's are things that happen at night. Night terrors and bad dreams can also cause bad feelings. After seeing numerous counselor and chaplains in the Army and other places I have been informed repeatedly that is was innapropriate for a parent or bishop or anyone of authority to tell someone else that they will encounter demons because of their actions. I understand some of you may think this is an enlightning subject but just be careful and realize, although there are many sensationalist's out there to try to stay clear of this unfounded and potentially demeaning (to "sinners") beliefs. I mean, have any of you known any one to die or really have their soul stolen? Actual fact rather that speculation because these people are drug addicts or no longer members? Anything besides a bad feeling or dark image?

Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2007 - 3:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Hi I quickly want to relate a story. Joseph Smith has taught that one evil in this world is that mankind is ignorant to the nature and laws of spirits. I believe that we all have spiritual experiences with spiritual manifestations. There rules that I have learnt personaly. First we need to qualify (worthy) of them or in other words in tune with your spiritual side so your spirit eyes are open. Truman G Madsen said that Joseph Smith had communion with many spirits and he lived with one foot in the spirit world and one in this physical world, he was a SEER.
The story I wish to relate is as follows. I was born in the Church ( the covenant) and became inactive for a number of years I those rebellious teenage years! I wasn't living worthy at all. Cut a long story short I became converted and worthy and in the space of a year I got my patriarcal blessing, Mel priesthood, decided to serve a mission taught and baptised my girlfriend who is ow my wife and also went through the Temple in Preston England. About 3 months before my mission I had an awful nightmare that was so real! I had a dream about an old lady and everything was dull and black and white and I was very angry shouting at this old hag. It was if I was watching myself in a movie! I was shouting you cannot have this body its mine!Then suddenly this old hag turned and looked at the me (or the camera, from a movie angle) And she had jet black eyes and said its mine! I then woke up wet through with sweat and as I gathered my senses and carmed myself that it was a dream I noticed that I was being shook all over my body as if I was having a fit! ( But I don't suffer from anything like that!) I then shot up in the darkness of my room and put my arm to the square and commanded in the name of Jesus Christ to leave! I was sacred and said this 6 times! Quickly got the guts to switch the light on and read my scriptures for the rest of the night! The next morning I told my mother crying and was wondering why the Lord would allow this to happen after all I had done coming back and becoming worthy surely he would protect me? I eventually told my stake Pres in my mission interview and he said my name ....... the bells of hell are ringing out for you! He said you have had a bad spirit follow you around while I was inactive and not worthy but it left me for a while came back and noticed the house (body) is clean and cannot get in. He said but it doesn't give up it comes back with bigger stronger spirits trying to bash the door down. I went on to serve in the England London South Mission and baptised 27 souls came home sealed to my girl who waited 2 years and now we are expecting a child. Her mother and father are now investigating the church.
In conclusion Satan and his hosts know who we are our powers talents and wants to hide them from us after all we are a marked generation, a chosen one. Since then I have learnt how very grateful I am for that experience for it had given me knowledge spirits and power. The Lord does this to us because it is in the dark that we will recongise the light.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Lingering / Wandering Spirits & Mormon Experiences

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,