Mormons: Is 'Sexy' A Bad Word?

Mormons ' Sexy' Bad Word - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Feb, 2004 - 6:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 

?
Poll: Do you think it is okay to use the word 'sexy' among members?
  Yes       25.00%
  No       75.00%
Total Votes: 12
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Best of  Mormons ' Sexy' Bad Word How we use words among members...
Post Date: 28th Feb, 2004 - 1:26pm / Post ID: #

The word 'sexy' is used very frequently in television, ads, radio, etc. However, it appropriate to use it with members? Here is an example...

'Sister, you look sexy today.'

Now remember this is not asking if it is appropriate in Church only, but among members in general since if a member came to your home and said...

It may have the same weight. On the other hand some may see it acceptable based on the sex it is coming from... For example if one Sister told another Sister....

They may see it as a compliment rather than if a Priesthood leader made the same statement.

Mormons: Is 'Sexy' A Bad Word? (Hover)

28th Feb, 2004 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #

Word Bad Sexy Mormons

Well, having english as a second language, I think I need to define what 'sexy' really means and then I may be able to give a better opinion. This is what I found in the dictionary:

Sexy: 1. Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest.
2. Slang: Highly appealing or interesting; attractive.

It' obvious that the word mostly is used in its slang form, nevertheless I don't think it should be used in the Church or among members...I don't know, it sounds kind of funny undecided.gif

28th Feb, 2004 - 3:34pm / Post ID: #

Mormons: Is 'Sexy' A Bad Word? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Well, first of all, my goal really isn't to be looking "sexy" anyway -- if someone who is a member is purposely aiming for that look, then there is something not right there. We are supposed to look "wholesome" and "modest" which are like opposites of "sexy."

If anyone tells me I'm looking sexy, and I know I'm not, there's a problem there.

No, I don't think it's appropriate for members to say that to each other, particularly NOT men telling women. Women might joke about it, but even that is not really appropriate.

In my opinion, of course.

Roz

28th Feb, 2004 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

Word Bad Sexy Mormons

For me the word should not be used in any official environment of the Church. If Sisters get together outside of a Church setting and are having a discussion about what makes them look attractive, etc and they use the word 'sexy' to illustrate a point then I do not see anything wrong with it, but again, I must emphasize it is all based on how it is used. I also think if someone were selecting a dress and you pointed out that it looks too sexy and that they should choose something moderate then I see nothing wrong with it. As for a Brother telling a Sister this and vice versa that is TOTALLY unacceptable no matter how close or friendly they may be.

29th Feb, 2004 - 2:52am / Post ID: #

Word Bad Sexy Mormons

I experienced both, sisters telling me and a brother (he was kidding) but you know? I felt kind of uncomfortable in both situations, the word is kind of funny to be using in the Church or with Church members. It's odd. undecided.gif

29th Feb, 2004 - 2:22pm / Post ID: #

. Slang: Highly appealing or interesting; attractive.

I always try to be sexy by the above definition. I have been to the Temple and always dress modestly, so I don't think I am doing anything inappropriate. I think we have negative connotations associated with the word because of the root word sex and also because of the first definition listed.

Also, when married, I always wanted my husband to find me sexy. So, I don't think sexy itself is bad, however, I can't imagine my Bishop, for example telling me I looked sexy. You know what I mean. So, I am not sure the use of the word between members in general is a good idea, but if a husband tells his wife he finds her sexy, I think that is a good thing.

29th Feb, 2004 - 3:46pm / Post ID: #

Mormons 'Sexy' Bad Word

but if a husband tells his wife he finds her sexy, I think that is a good thing.

Of course... and I regularly tell my wife she is, but some members feel that because they are somehow 'friendly' with you or think they 'know' you more that it is okay to use the word.

29th Feb, 2004 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Mormons 'Sexy' Bad Word Mormon Doctrine Studies

Also, when married, I always wanted my husband to find me sexy

Of course! I think every normal wife wants her husband to find her sexy. wink.gif

but if a husband tells his wife he finds her sexy, I think that is a good thing.

Yes, I don't see the problem at all, my husband says it very often biggrin.gif but because a marriage is such a close and intimate relationship, they can say that to each other but I cannot imagine my Branch President or any other brothers in the Church saying I'm sexy!.

+  1 2 3 
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Mormons: Is 'Sexy' A Bad Word?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,